Map Bug, not in tutorial!

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:13 pm

I was using the camera intros to fly by and show the objectives for each map. If everyone doesn't like them I could just dump them off at the first island and camreset. In the game there was always a small intro to the missions wheather it was in the world space or when you first poped in, I think there may have been a few triggers inside the maps that would play text, hints, new objectives. Not sure where but I do remember some. I looked at it as a sort of unwritten quicky walkthrough, kind of hits the big spots only, sometimes not showing some islands for the "what's up there effect."

Have you seen any of the level intros I have? Let me know because I can change to a different opening type and much shorter, I thought people might like them. It also gives me a spot to tell a bit of the storyline, but what the heck...this is a mod, we've all played the game, all we want is something to blowup.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:18 pm

Lowell wrote:I was using the camera intros to fly by and show the objectives for each map. If everyone doesn't like them I could just dump them off at the first island and camreset. In the game there was always a small intro to the missions wheather it was in the world space or when you first poped in, I think there may have been a few triggers inside the maps that would play text, hints, new objectives. Not sure where but I do remember some. I looked at it as a sort of unwritten quicky walkthrough, kind of hits the big spots only, sometimes not showing some islands for the "what's up there effect."

Have you seen any of the level intros I have? Let me know because I can change to a different opening type and much shorter, I thought people might like them. It also gives me a spot to tell a bit of the storyline, but what the heck...this is a mod, we've all played the game, all we want is something to blowup.

The concern is not with the level intros, which are fine. It is the way in which you trigger them. Why are you triggering them with script triggers that use the CamEnter trigger? Why not use an Always trigger? In either case, if the script trigger is dynamic (i.e. resides in the mission file), it will only be played once (unless the level is reset). Always is more likely to work consistently than CamEnter.

xander
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:32 pm

well if I set it for Always and do a Runscript it will play each time you enter.

That was why I used the script trigger set for dynamic. It shuts off after you have seen it. If you hit enter and bypass it, well you skipped the intro that's it.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:37 pm

Lowell wrote:well if I set it for Always and do a Runscript it will play each time you enter.

Incorrect. If you set a script trigger to Always, but make the trigger dynamic, the script will run only once (unless the player resets a level, in which case either the cam enter script or the always script will be rerun). Look at how the introductions to several of the levels in Insurrection are set up, particularly Discovery. The camera start position is near the bottom of the first island, looking at the squad. When the player enters, and Always script is triggered, which runs the intro (there is a CamCut in there that occurs before the fade in, so it looks like the camera is starting somewhere else). When the player reenters the level, the script is not run again. Trust me, I am not a n00b, I do know what I am talking about.

Lowell wrote:That was why I used the script trigger set for dynamic. It shuts off after you have seen it. If you hit enter and bypass it, well you skipped the intro that's it.

Again, you can do the same thing with an Always script trigger. It will run only once, unless the script trigger is in the map file, in which case it will be run every time the player enters the level, though this is true of a cam enter script as well. Make the script trigger dynamic (i.e. place it in the mission file) and you won't have this problem.

xander
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:42 pm

no, no, in fact, I actively encourage you to make more complicated and more pointless intros!

It's just, using cam_entry triggers to make a trigger go off on start up is a bit... alternative - a Script Trigger set to be always will always go off on start up no matter where in the level it is, providing the same effect but with less crazy. Cam_Entry script triggers have a different use - camera entry into a specific area, ie, when the player is looking at something - Move the start camera on a whim and you break it.

I use the idea you're talking about sometimes, ie, camcutting to some other location (cutstart) then issueing a cammove to view1, etc to the start camera. That way if the player leaves and returns to the level they won't be in, say, the middle of nowhere.

What I actively do *not* encourage you to do, is pull off an inusurrection and have an auto firing, long, map entering introduction at the start of your mod. I *really* hate that! :P
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:48 pm

The GoldFish wrote:What I actively do *not* encourage you to do, is pull off an inusurrection and have an auto firing, long, map entering introduction at the start of your mod. I *really* hate that! :P

Meh. Though I didn't suggest that he do that.

xander
Battlefrank
level2
level2

Postby Battlefrank » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:59 pm

If you have the STEAM version, downgrade it to 1.3, otherwise you will get BRICKED severeral hundred times.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:10 pm

Battlefrank wrote:If you have the STEAM version, downgrade it to 1.3, otherwise you will get BRICKED severeral hundred times.

What?

xander
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:17 am

:?: :?:
Mine works okay... I have used 1.4 the whole time.

Edit// Not to mention there is a new update in testing ?
Puzzlemaker
level2
level2

Postby Puzzlemaker » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:36 am

xander wrote:
Battlefrank wrote:If you have the STEAM version, downgrade it to 1.3, otherwise you will get BRICKED severeral hundred times.

What?

xander

Ya, hes right. I found out what my problem was; the Steam version crashes if red darwinians get ahold of the battle cannon and there is AI and waypoints on the map.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:31 am

Puzzlemaker wrote:
xander wrote:

What?

xander

Ya, hes right. I found out what my problem was; the Steam version crashes if red darwinians get ahold of the battle cannon and there is AI and waypoints on the map.

Ah! The way it was phrased, I thought that it was an Insurrection specific bug. As it is, I guess Windows/Steam people will just have to wait for Darwinia 1.5 :( The Armour/AITarget problem does not seem to effect the Mac version or the Linux version.

xander
Puzzlemaker
level2
level2

Postby Puzzlemaker » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:16 am

xander wrote:
Puzzlemaker wrote:
xander wrote:

What?

xander

Ah! The way it was phrased, I thought that it was an Insurrection specific bug. As it is, I guess Windows/Steam people will just have to wait for Darwinia 1.5 :( The Armour/AITarget problem does not seem to effect the Mac version or the Linux version.

xander

Correction: Steam people. Or you can just copy the files out and apply the 1.3 patch. That fixes it, also.

Return to “Mod Projects”