0 survivors, but larry deserves it.

Post match discussion - talk about your recent victories and losses here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

creator
level3
level3

0 survivors, but larry deserves it.

Postby creator » Tue May 22, 2007 8:43 pm

Well this guy deserved it, started off looking like a promising game with me allied with Larry however after he left it on speed 1 for an excessive amount of time one person asked him to speed it up. This lead to a torrent of abuse against pretty much everyone from larry and the ingenious idea that he was now going to leave it on the slowest speed for the rest of the game. So it pretty qucikly turned into a larry bashing competition leaving him with 0 survivors...took alot of nukes that did! OH he only 'won' as towards the end me and bert started seeing who could get the highest collateral score, we couldnt waste our subs now could we!

Razorjack should have the screenshots of the ridiculous things he was saying as well as all those nukes lughting up asia! I really would strongly advise not playing this guy.

Last edited by creator on Tue May 22, 2007 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue May 22, 2007 8:56 pm

And for the record, I've got the kicking by ipchains now sorted out, this won't happen again when I host. Couldn't do much during the game because my Linux laptop crashed (during suspend) and I'm too unfamiliar with the Mac.
caranthir.pkk
level3
level3

Postby caranthir.pkk » Tue May 22, 2007 9:14 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:And for the record, I've got the kicking by ipchains now sorted out, this won't happen again when I host. Couldn't do much during the game because my Linux laptop crashed (during suspend) and I'm too unfamiliar with the Mac.

Btw about earlier. Is your hosting name sparrow? Cause that might have been a misunderstanding.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue May 22, 2007 9:23 pm

Nope, hosting and game name is Bert. I don't like long names in the territory view.
Rogviler
level2
level2

Postby Rogviler » Tue May 22, 2007 10:11 pm

Excessive first-gearing has been happening a lot lately. I think it's mostly new people (or n00bs, if you prefer), who either think that it's good tactices to have it on Speed 1 while coordinating an attack or they're just not competent enough to do things quickly in Speed 2 or more. Then they get offended because people are trying to "rush them" and they leave it on 1 in retaliation.

Irritating.

There should be a law against that sort of thing. Or at least an unwritten vow to nuke the tar out of Speed 1 abusers.

Don't get me wrong, even the best players use Speed 1, and rightly so for certain things, but leaving it there for more than a minute other than for placement is just rude.

-Rog
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue May 22, 2007 10:27 pm

Rogviler wrote:Don't get me wrong, even the best players use Speed 1, and rightly so for certain things, but leaving it there for more than a minute other than for placement is just rude.

I agree that abusing realtime is rude. I disagree that using realtime for more than a minute at a time is rude. When I am engaged in naval combat, I tend to keep things at realtime for long stretches, and I rarely go above 5x. If you properly micro your units, you get a rhythm going, in which you give units orders in sequence. Sometimes, at 5x, you have more units in the battle than you can effectively give orders to before the first units complete their orders and go off to do something stupid. This is more true in larger battles, where you are facing off against two or more opponents. That being said, I prefer office mode to anything else, so I may be a bit biased.

xander
PsychicKid
level2
level2

Postby PsychicKid » Tue May 22, 2007 11:27 pm

Rogviler wrote:Excessive first-gearing has been happening a lot lately. I think it's mostly new people (or n00bs, if you prefer), who either think that it's good tactices to have it on Speed 1 while coordinating an attack or they're just not competent enough to do things quickly in Speed 2 or more. Then they get offended because people are trying to "rush them" and they leave it on 1 in retaliation.

Irritating.

There should be a law against that sort of thing. Or at least an unwritten vow to nuke the tar out of Speed 1 abusers.

Don't get me wrong, even the best players use Speed 1, and rightly so for certain things, but leaving it there for more than a minute other than for placement is just rude.

-Rog

I pretty much disagree with 95% of your post. It really is a good tactic to use speed 1 to coordinate an attack. To be perfectly fair, I absolutely hate it when someone complains ingame about speed, especially when it's only for a few minutes. Griefers I can understand, but normal play? That's taking it a bit far, dude.

Besides, real time lets me kick people's asses. Gogo 48 bombers.
Rogviler
level2
level2

Postby Rogviler » Tue May 22, 2007 11:56 pm

Word of the day: Excessive

Like I said, even the best players use Speed 1, but who really leaves it on there for ten minutes at a time?

I don't mean to sound insensitive to new people, I'll admit that when I first started I felt overwhelmed unless it was on 1x. It's like when you're learning to drive, anything beyond first gear makes you feel like you're going to smash into something even in a giant, empty parking lot.

Ergo, that's what practicing is for.

Now I have no problem coordinating things at higher speeds, I normally only use 1x when I'm setting unit states and during setup (depending on the game mode), which I think most people do.

It's just rude to leave it there for ages and then get pissed off when people request higher speed. I've never seen a veteran do that. If they're on Speed 1 for awhile they usually explain why (without giving away secrets of course). It's the fresh meat that goes ballistic and starts calling everyone names.

I'm more about the rudeness behind it than the act of using 1x, especially when it's legitimate.

-Rog
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed May 23, 2007 3:27 pm

Rogviler wrote:I don't mean to sound insensitive to new people, I'll admit that when I first started I felt overwhelmed unless it was on 1x. It's like when you're learning to drive, anything beyond first gear makes you feel like you're going to smash into something even in a giant, empty parking lot.

Well, when I was learning to drive (in a 4-door '79 Bonnieville, er tank) my dad took me out to the hilliest, curviest road he knew of and said "if he can drive on this road, he can drive anywhere". Him, my mom, my sister and I all piled into the car and off we went for my first real attempt at driving. (talk about pressure)

The first words out of his mouth were (and I quote) "This kid's the first person I've ever seen slow down on the straight areas and speed up in the corners..." Actually, I was not slowing down in straights, rather letting off the gas heading into curves and then subsequently speeding up at the near the apex of the curve. Too many racing games before that I guess.

Rogviler wrote:Ergo, that's what practicing is for.

Now I have no problem coordinating things at higher speeds, I normally only use 1x when I'm setting unit states and during setup (depending on the game mode), which I think most people do.

It's just rude to leave it there for ages and then get pissed off when people request higher speed. I've never seen a veteran do that. If they're on Speed 1 for awhile they usually explain why (without giving away secrets of course). It's the fresh meat that goes ballistic and starts calling everyone names.

I'm more about the rudeness behind it than the act of using 1x, especially when it's legitimate.

-Rog

Sometimes, I'll set it on speed 1 at a critical moment just to give the impression that I'm going to launch or to give somebody else a chance to start barking off orders to a bunch of units and then switch back to "normal" speed hoping to interrupt and/or distract the other player/s from whatever they were doing.
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Wed May 23, 2007 3:33 pm

Sneaky :shock:
Deamon
level2
level2

Postby Deamon » Wed May 23, 2007 9:05 pm

I too have noticed an increased number of those speed 1 people ( two days ago, I encountered one with a different name, the same insults and same outcome for four games in a row ) we nuked him to hell, just not like that... well done ! :D

Return to “The Debriefing Room”