level2

Postby Lord Ovrkill » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:22 pm

All I can say is, its sounds cool
Without a whisper,
Without a trace
jakeyf
level0

Postby jakeyf » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:42 am

if multiplayer is going to be released, will Steam and non steam versions be able to play with each other???
andrewas
level4
level4

Postby andrewas » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:05 am

As has been stated on numerous occasions, neither Steam nor retail customers will be cut off from any Darwinia functionality. If you want to buy Darwinia on Steam as well as retail, then feel free, but you will not be cut off from future updates nor multiplayer functionality for not doing so.
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:06 pm

andrewas wrote:As has been stated on numerous occasions, neither Steam nor retail customers will be cut off from any Darwinia functionality. If you want to buy Darwinia on Steam as well as retail, then feel free, but you will not be cut off from future updates nor multiplayer functionality for not doing so.

He asked if the Steam version and Retail version will be able to play Multiplayer together (as in a steam player playing with a non-steam player), not whether both versions will GEt multiplayer. Nothing has been said about if they will be able to play together or not. I would ASSUME (and thats a ASSUMPTION, so don't quote me on this) that Iv will do everything they can to let everyone play with everyone, but you never know, there might be some issues with it. Again, I assume that Steam will only really be used to help find other steam accounts playing Darwinia, meaning that steam users will find it easier to play with random people.

But who really knows? Chris, maybe... Unless he codes without knowing it... We shall see...
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:19 pm

elDiablo wrote:Chris, maybe... Unless he codes without knowing it... We shall see...

Saying that while looking at the Uplink source code... and suddenly it all makes sense! ;)

NeoThermic
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:26 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
elDiablo wrote:Chris, maybe... Unless he codes without knowing it... We shall see...

Saying that while looking at the Uplink source code... and suddenly it all makes sense! ;)

NeoThermic

lol. I think I'm going to buy the uplink dev CD just to laugh at the code. :D
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:40 pm

It'll drive you insane. Look at NeoThermic, Icepick, Stews, myself and the others... LOOK AT US.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:41 pm

That's all right. I'm already quietly insane in my own way. :D
cdbeckman
level1
level1

Postby cdbeckman » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:27 pm

To pump out this much content this fast with as few of programmers as they have, you'd almost have to be a crazy genius programmer. And I don't know too many of those that produce very "readable" code, and they certainly don't put many comments in their work.

edit: Oh, I was going to put this but then hit the submit button without thinking; I absolutely cannot wait for multiplayer. It would be an experience like none other to have to sides each commanding a giant darwinian army. I want to be red!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:34 pm

cdbeckman wrote:I want to be red!

Commie :P

xander
Lord Ovrkill
level2
level2

Postby Lord Ovrkill » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:48 am

Well talking about the uplink source, if it is as bad as you al say i am interested to know how uplink actually works...

I might get the dev CD when my next student load goes in...

As for commenting code, at uni we are forced to comment code, and i have to say its annoying, when i make a program i don't intend for anyone else to read it but me. So why should i comment it, i know how it works, and i know how to fix it if it goes wrong, most of the time anywho...

Darwinia Multiplayer, lets just say the first digital world war, or even better interplanetary war :D
Without a whisper,

Without a trace
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:07 pm

cdbeckman wrote:...other to have to sides each commanding a giant darwinian army. I want to be red!

Good man! everyone else is boring and wants coop missions. Up the slaughter of 100,000 Darwinians! :twisted:
kawsper
level1
level1

Postby kawsper » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:21 pm

I have ordered the DevCD a couple a days ago, and i think i may speak about the readability of the code :roll:.
It was shipped yesterday from United Kingdom, and i live in Denmark so i expect to have it soon, i will be back.
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:36 pm

cdbeckman wrote:... And I don't know too many of those that produce very "readable" code, and they certainly don't put many comments in their work...

Its not that readable. Sorry Chris, but some of your comments ("You're ****ed") are brilliant! [/NDA-breakage].

And Lord Ovrkill, you are forced to comment code, like me, so that when you leave uni and join a big old software development company, your code will be indifferent to everyone else's code. Ie, you will be a tool, for the company. As most people who leave uni will go to big companies. It sad, but true :(
Varsity
level2
level2

Postby Varsity » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:39 am

My bet for multiplayer is normal, standalone maps with the objective of taking all the enemy's control towers. There would be the usual assortment of buildings, and each team's Darwinians would be a different colour. Virii are there too, to add a little single-player flavour. :)

Return to “General”