Multiplayer

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

Duncan
level0

Multiplayer

Postby Duncan » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:19 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if Darwinia is a multiplayer game? Let me know!
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:23 pm

No, but a multiplayer patch is expected some time in the future
Duncan
level0

Postby Duncan » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:58 pm

Sounds cool. I got some fansite domains.

(Darwinia.org, Darwinia.net) etc. Can't wait till the 14th of dec!
Mikey99
level1
level1

Postby Mikey99 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:58 pm

Multiplayer's probaly gonna be FUN. Hopefully. Do you know when the estimated time it's coming out?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:56 pm

Mikey99 wrote:Multiplayer's probaly gonna be FUN. Hopefully. Do you know when the estimated time it's coming out?

Sometime after today, but before the first man sets foot upon Mars.

xander
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:58 pm

I imagine multiplayer will be either:

co-op missions, cool but not that cool

Planetside style - take a biosphere to produce troops, a pattern bufer to store your troop designs and a receiver to supply you with souls. Enemies stom through connected trunks to one of the three levels and try to takee the set over.
Like this:
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:01 am

martin wrote:--==<snip>==--

Why couldn't multiplayer just take the form of individual levels? Why do you think that it would include all of the extra architecture necessary to maintain your version? I am inclined to think that mutliplayer Darwinia would be much like single player Darwinia, except that the red army might be another player. I can see how one could make vs. levels that could be quite good, but I also see a great deal of potential for co-op missions.

xander
daset
level3
level3

Postby daset » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:50 am

Yes, I rather like the idea of the host being player the good guy while player 2 is virii captain, and he directs players 3+ to lead the virii using "virii officers". Maybe centipedes/SDs lead virii and spiders lead ants. :D

Really lookin' forward to multiplayer.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:01 am

I think co-op is the way forward. Imagine, whole co-op campaigns! You could have the players work together, then pit them against each other at the end... I think there'll need to be a pretty-much perfect way of saving units, and transporting them to other maps via Trunk Ports - not just a team of starting troops near the Trunk Port that never changes.

Just sending bunches of Darwinians at each other wouldn't be very fun - I believe IV said something like that in their developers' diary.

It would be much better if the games were at least geared towards more than one level. There's not enough varied units to just make two teams, even if one side get to play Virii.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:15 am

xander wrote:
martin wrote:--==<snip>==--

Why couldn't multiplayer just take the form of individual levels? Why do you think that it would include all of the extra architecture necessary to maintain your version? I am inclined to think that mutliplayer Darwinia would be much like single player Darwinia, except that the red army might be another player. I can see how one could make vs. levels that could be quite good, but I also see a great deal of potential for co-op missions.

xander

well mine is a structure for a massive multiplayer where everyone has three levels when they start and an unlimited number of players can join. As opposed to a co-op two player.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:44 pm

I'm sure IV have their own totally different ideas...
daset
level3
level3

Postby daset » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:57 pm

Yes, and what about co-op competitive? Up to sixteen players with minimal research, all trying to get the goal before the other. Maybe two of them could colaborate and use their differences in research to compliment eachother's squads, etc.

It would be nice to be able to have two or more fully functioning squads at the same time. :)
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:23 pm

Going off peoples ability of predicting IV, I'd imagine that what they produce will be totally different to any prediction lol
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:38 pm

martin wrote:well mine is a structure for a massive multiplayer where everyone has three levels when they start and an unlimited number of players can join. As opposed to a co-op two player.

That was my point. Are you really expecting IV to create to architecuture necessary to maintain a persistant online universe? Also, why would co-op levels require only two players? Why not four? or eight? or sixteen?

Given the way that the multiplayer code kind of works now, I would expect that you would be able to join a hosted game (ala StarCraft or Quake), and you and whoever else would play that game through, then it would be over. While I think that the idea of a persistant online universe is a neat one, I think that the units &c. are kind of limited for a fulfilling experience, and I think that IV don't really have the resources to establish servers for a persistant universe.

As I said before, I would imagine that multiplayer Darwinia will look much like single player Darwinia, but with multiple players.

xander
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:38 am

well not two players but limited numbers of players.

Return to “General”