Source code

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

cartel
level0

Source code

Postby cartel » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:40 am

Hi all,

I'm new to Darwinia, having seen it show up on Steam and then I went straight to the IV store to buy, as I have both Windows and Linux machines I didnt want to get locked into the crappy Steam version :)

I love the game already, and I'm just wondering if there are any plans from IV to release the source code, as was done with Uplink? Because I'd really like to see the multiplayer code finished, or do it myself ;).

Incidentally, what language(s) is Darwinia written in? c++?

Thanks

Tom
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:47 am

The multiplayer's gonna be finished by Introversion themselves. I'm guessing the source release is still a while away, at least until the number of Steam downloads has slowed to a trickle...
halyavin
level0

Postby halyavin » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:26 pm

I see __CxxFrameHandler string in darwinia executable. So it is C++ (+UPX).
kawsper
level1
level1

Postby kawsper » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:27 pm

If you read about the Uplink DevCD, you will find out about IV's opinion about such things, they dont like the idea of games dying out, they want the game to live forever and they do it by giving the sourcecode away. You have to buy it as long as there are a commercial interest in Uplink (Or Darwinia, when its dying a little out, which isn't right now when the Darwinia community is moving 120mph), and there was some talking about opensourcing Uplink mid 2004, but it looks like as there are still commercial interest in the game.
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:32 pm

halyavin wrote:I see __CxxFrameHandler string in darwinia executable. So it is C++ (+UPX).

C++ and OpenGl, as its nice and cross-platformable. Same as Uplink, if a bit more complex ;)
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.

Return to “General”