question about steam version and retail

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

mikko
level0

question about steam version and retail

Postby mikko » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:19 pm

hi!

well i saw on staempowered that this game is going to be release through steam i have HL2 and steam installed and i got the retail version of darwinia too

so how can i add darwinia to my steam account ? when its going to release through steam because this game dont have a cd-key or something

thanks
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:51 pm

At present, it doesn't look like there's a way to add the retail version of Darwinia to Steam
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:34 pm

Well, is there any uniqueness about each of the copies? Order number? Anything? If there was, that could be used in some way to regester it with steam. Otherwise, I don't really see a way.

I regestered on the forum to ask weather it'd be best to wait it out and buy the game on steam, or order it on CD now, but risk not having it on my (currently) complete steam games list. (Rag Doll Kung Fu included :D)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:39 pm

RabidZombie wrote:Well, is there any uniqueness about each of the copies? Order number? Anything? If there was, that could be used in some way to regester it with steam. Otherwise, I don't really see a way.

I regestered on the forum to ask weather it'd be best to wait it out and buy the game on steam, or order it on CD now, but risk not having it on my (currently) complete steam games list. (Rag Doll Kung Fu included :D)

I don't think that there is anything unique about the CDs -- they are all identical digital copies of eachother. My guess is that if IV really wanted, they could let Valve know about each of the orders that they filled, and send each of those people a registration number for Steam (or some such), but the question for Valve is, why? They are not going to get any money from the people that bought the CDs, and they are going to have to support them. It would be great for IV if people with the retail version could also have the Steam version, but I don't think it is going to happen.

In the same way, it would be nice to be able to buy the Windows/Linux version, and also be allowed to download the Mac version (i.e. you buy the retail version from IV or some other seller, then download the Mac version). Again, there is nothing in it for Ambrosia, so it is not likely to ever happen.

xander
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:44 pm

You also have the copys from shops, which really ARE identical to each other, especially with no CD-KEY style protection. That goes order info plan down the drain...
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:55 pm

RabidZombie wrote:You also have the copys from shops, which really ARE identical to each other, especially with no CD-KEY style protection. That goes order info plan down the drain...

Indeed... I was thinking that when I posted, but somehow left it out. Thanks.

xander
practisevoodoo
level0

Postby practisevoodoo » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:02 am

what about the extra levels shown in the darwinia/steam trailer? are they going to be made available for ppl who bought the game before now?
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:17 pm

I don't remember seeing any extra levels? I'll watch it again and see...
Dave2
level4
level4

Postby Dave2 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:48 pm

Maybe you're thinking about the Demo 2 level, which was featured in the video?
Varsity
level2
level2

Postby Varsity » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:18 pm

That will probably end up in the Mods menu, or at least in the menu system somewhere.

Return to “General”