The tournament Mod

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:47 pm

martin wrote:edit:: I cannot complete any of the levels in the mod. :)
:P
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:19 pm

Ah... I missed that. Sorry.

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:20 am

The GoldFish wrote:From my point of view, only Courtyard and Innergates are even possible, the latter was even entertaining to complete. I'd be interested to know if anyone can do the other 3 because I think the odds are just too great.

I touched on, and completed, barracks and innergates without problem.

The key to winning Barracks is multiple attack points, using any force you have (even 20 darwinians makes a decent attack force). Keep groups moving, but don't move the officer with them. Create new ones as you go, don't be afraid to lose darwininas or officers.

The key to winning Innergates is to expand quickly. Capture and control the 4 incubators at the base of largest and larger towers to prevent them from stocking the tops up. Feed all units created towards the smallest tower. Then, capture the base 4 there (expect a hell of a battle). Once you get one, move the units into the center. You'll have 4 incubators plus all the ones you've captured feeding the attack, its only a matter of time before some break through and reach the top, and then you'll be able to slaughter the remaing reds. After that is a case of send a load of units en-mass up the radar, and repeate for the final one. As with Barracks, keep your units feeding the main attack, and don't bother moving officers. Create and go, create and go. Attack and go, attack and go. All you need is time...

It took me 20 mins to do both of the ones I listed; I'll give the rest a go when its not 3am and I'm not drunk.

NeoThermic
redcords
level1
level1

Postby redcords » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:57 am

i completed all but the first level, castle gates. i controlled all the incubators on the other levels except for second wall, where i snuck a group to the trunk port.

pretty sure you can sneak around the valley on castle gates but i didn't have the patience.

edit - ok all levels completed now:

The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:04 pm

I'm not sure an officer on it's own really counts - though maybe it does o_O

Either way, whatever, hehe
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:11 pm

The GoldFish wrote:I'm not sure an officer on it's own really counts - though maybe it does o_O

Either way, whatever, hehe

martin was kind of unclear about that -- he just said "Get to the trunkport." I'll give him passing marks. :P

BTW, I have finished all but the one in the screenie above, now. Barracks and Courtyard were cake. The other two took some cunning, but weren't to bad, in the end. I will have another go at Innergates(?) in bit.

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:20 pm

I can't quite put my finger on why, but for some reason the darwinians really don't want to attack each other. In my stresstesting battle of 10k darwinians, you put *any* near each other and they fire away like they have infiante ammo. Yet in War, they just seem to sit there and chat with their oppoments:

Plus, in courtyard, there's huge holes in the side of the level:

I've finished all of the levels, but the lack of Darwinian combat enthusiasm made it take longer than it should of. Levels like CastleGates and Courtyard were a PITA as no one really attacked each other.

NeoThermic
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:30 pm

I noticed the same thing Neothermic... it's really odd o_O
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:15 pm

And i thought it was just me with the attack enthusiasm problems :/
ah well. SO you guys are saying that baracks and innergate need to be a bit harder? (everyone sems to be able to do them so...)
I'll go and do them now.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:28 pm

Actually I was saying Innergates was fun :P

I don't and never have particularly enjoyed DG v DG combat.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:50 pm

what!! thats the best bit of the game!
well. errr. anyway.
Theres a new version out (war 0.1) that I've sent to xander. so hopefully it should be hosted soon *please*
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:50 pm

The GoldFish wrote:Actually I was saying Innergates was fun :P

I don't and never have particularly enjoyed DG v DG combat.

Indeed... there is not much to be said for it. I think that a little of DG vs. DG combat can be fun (it was great in Biosphere), but it starts to get repetitive -- capture the SpawnPoint, amass an army, move onto the next SpawnPoint.

xander
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:53 pm

so what do you like? SDs, virii, spiders?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:18 pm

martin wrote:so what do you like? SDs, virii, spiders?

Personally? I like more squad action. I thought that Stricken Souls was great. However, I think that the ideal, perfect mod would have elements of everything. There should be some DG vs DG combat, but also squad based combat, phishing, SDs, armour, enemy engineers (though I don't think they are any good at reprogramming buildings, they can be a bitch to deal with when there are incubators involved), &c.

Stricken Souls was a great mod, which suprises me, as it was one squaddie against the world (with one major exception, and a couple of minor variations here and there). I am amazed that it worked as well as it did, and did not get repetitive throughout the game. On the other hand, when you have squads, you take an active role in the game -- there is real skill involved. With DG combat, you must organize things properly, but once the fighting starts, there is not a lot of skill involved -- the DGs have minds of their own.

None of this means (in my opinion) that DG vs DG combat is a bad thing -- it just shouldn't be the ONLY thing. Throw in a couple of squads in a level or two... maybe throw in some armour (it can be fun to take, and can be a bitch if it is taken). Variation is the soul of entertainment.

xander

EDIT: martin has emailed me a new version, it can be found here. The original version is still up at the old place.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:42 pm

OK, squads going in for the latest level.

Return to “Mod Projects”