Darwinia marketing effort, you can help!

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

Dev
level1
level1

Postby Dev » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:49 pm

ooooo pretty :shock: 8) shame is a tad large. Personally, Id have the save us bit fade in/out so you can see more of the cool green-ness
-------------------------------------------------------
Darwinia - Realtime Metaphysics Engine
Dev - Realtime Messmaking Engine
Devwinia - Realtime Physicsmessing engine
Rowedekhelicon
level1
level1

Postby Rowedekhelicon » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:39 am

Darksun wrote:The banner looks cool, but it's too large (filesize wise) to be of any practical use

Says you! :p These are the days of broadband, my friend. ;) It downloads just as quickly as it plays for the majority.

But I'll see if I can find a way to decrease the file size further. Won't stop me from using the current version, though. ... What? I said I'm shameless. :mrgreen: ... What filesize do you suggest I should aim for? 250k? 150k? Keep in mind that if it's too small or too cruddy then it isn't an effective advertisement.

Dev wrote:ooooo pretty :shock: 8) shame is a tad large.

Large in which sense? I'll probably end up shrinking the dimensions anyway to remedy the filesize.

Dev wrote:Personally, Id have the save us bit fade in/out so you can see more of the cool green-ness

Nah, I think the message should be the focus. Plus fading text with this short of loop is akin to flashing text, which is just obnoxious. But I'll experiment with it and let you know.. If the text fades at all I'm thinking it should fade to near-black and then cut out instead of fading to transparent, and then blip back into frame. Seems more retro to me. Anyway we'll see.
Last edited by Rowedekhelicon on Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rowedekhelicon
level1
level1

Postby Rowedekhelicon » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:17 am

Alright, filesize wasn't too hard to crunch down. The reduced images come in two varieties:

small - Resized, cropped, colors reduced. Roughly half the filesize of the original.
ultra small - Half the frames, colors reduced further. Roughly half the filesize again, and as small as it's going to get. I do not recommend this version, but the point was to minimize filesize.

Now onto this text fading business...
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:13 am

Rowedekhelicon wrote:
Darksun wrote:The banner looks cool, but it's too large (filesize wise) to be of any practical use

Says you! :p These are the days of broadband, my friend. ;) It downloads just as quickly as it plays for the majority.

Yes, but for a banner ad or a forum banner, sig or whatever, it's way too large, and it'll just piss people off. Hence the only real use being for people to click it and go 'ooo, pretty'. Hence, not practical for advertisment, really.
Dev
level1
level1

Postby Dev » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:45 pm

cool beans - theres no lag on it loading now

you could infact go with the ultra small one as (too me anyway) both banners look the same (then again my monitor is teh sux)
Well done tho man its l33t

Rowedekhelicon
level1
level1

Postby Rowedekhelicon » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:18 pm

Darksun wrote:Yes, but for a banner ad or a forum banner, sig or whatever, it's way too large, and it'll just piss people off. Hence the only real use being for people to click it and go 'ooo, pretty'. Hence, not practical for advertisment, really.

Well for the forum I frequent I've received only compliments. :mrgreen: Course you should see some of the other sigs on that forum. There's a 500x365 graphic and a 359x420 graphic. And anyway IMO the game deserves a huge ad -- something to arrest your attention and intrigue you enough to click. Even still I've made smaller versions available for the less brazen amongst us. ;)
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:11 am

Yeah well, forums where people have huge files in their sigs annoy me, I don't want to waste my bandwidth downloading loads of animated gifs.
nfreader
level1
level1

Postby nfreader » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:28 pm

Darksun wrote:Yeah well, forums where people have huge files in their sigs annoy me, I don't want to waste my bandwidth downloading loads of animated gifs.

Preach it. My image is sooooo much smaller.
*cough*

EDIT: But this one is cooler
needalittlehint
level1
level1

but:

Postby needalittlehint » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:10 pm

the happily jumping darwinian is prettier! ;)
nfreader
level1
level1

Postby nfreader » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:19 am

http://digg.com is a technology-oriented-democratic website. Similar to Slashdot, the users on Digg choose what stories make the front page by "digging" an article, AKA: voting for it.

From the website:
What is digg?
Digg is a technology news website that combines social bookmarking, blogging, RSS, and non-hierarchical editorial control. With digg, users submit stories for review, but rather than allow an editor to decide which stories go on the homepage, the users do.

In true fashion, I posted Darwinia to Digg, and if we get enough votes, it can appear on the front page. So go here: http://digg.com/gaming/Save_the_Darwinians and "dig" Darwinia.

(An article about Darwinia already existed on digg, but it sucked, seeing as the title was: "Darwinia - A MMORPG For Fans of Hard Psychedelic Drugs". I just couldn't let that stand.)
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:03 pm

Uh...

The last comment basically called it a bog-standard RTS. This is NOT TRUE.
Phrage
level3
level3
Location: With a nuclear warhead aimed at Washington from my super secret Nuclear Bunker at 22 Pimpleton Ave

Postby Phrage » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:26 pm

I'm doing my bit to promote darwinia, to start with buying it but also getting all my friends to dload the demo and play it, several are buying it now. ALso as I got it for my brithday i'm getting to talk about it to everyone who asks what I got.
PS I'm gonna do the putting copies to the front of the shelves thing :P
^^Another amazing comment/statement/question/answer/joke/insult/compliment^^
(delete as appropriate)
Dev
level1
level1

Postby Dev » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:34 pm

guess what amazon recomended to me today :D

Darwinia got some pretty ubar user review - chek it:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 40-2846008

Rowedekhelicon
level1
level1

Postby Rowedekhelicon » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:55 am

Dev wrote:guess what amazon recomended to me today :D

Lol! Apparently Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is a 'perfect partner' for Darwinia. :lol:

Those are some spankin' reviews, though. 8)
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:20 pm

Rowedekhelicon wrote:
Dev wrote:guess what amazon recomended to me today :D

Lol! Apparently Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is a 'perfect partner' for Darwinia. :lol:

Those are some spankin' reviews, though. 8)

Maybe not a perfect partner, but I have it as well, and thought it was a pretty good game, albeit buggy...

Return to “General”