Translation of Darwinia. Could I help?

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

VMX
level0

Translation of Darwinia. Could I help?

Postby VMX » Fri May 20, 2005 10:27 am

Hello.

I'd like to know if there's any way that I could edit any files in the game folder so that I could manually translate the game to Spanish language doing it on my own.

Also, if Introversion are interested in me working in the translation of some or all of the English text to Spanish I'd be glad to help, you only have to te tell me what to do.

Thanks in advance.
Dr4goN
level3
level3

Postby Dr4goN » Fri May 20, 2005 1:21 pm

1. Download the 1.21 patch for Darwinia(or click here)
2. Go into your Darwinia location and rename file "Language.dat" into "Language.rar".
3. Extract it.
4. Start translating the contents of English.txt file into Spanish.
5. When done do the same as in points 2 & 3
6. Put your language into "\data\language\" located in Language.rar
7. Run Darwinia
8. Set the language into Spanish by hitting ESC, then selecting "Options" and "Other Options" and changing the "Language" value.

Edit: 101 post! Whee!!!!
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Fri May 20, 2005 2:57 pm

4 1/2. Rename your newly translated file to 'spanish.txt'

I believe this is necessary for there to be a 'Spanish' option in the Language menu?
Wet_Flannel
level2
level2

Postby Wet_Flannel » Fri May 20, 2005 4:34 pm

i want a irish option in t3h game language just for laffs (note not actual irish just english "irish style")
t3h flannel dont worry its a hippo
VMX
level0

Postby VMX » Sat May 21, 2005 9:48 am

Ok, thanks for you clear responses.

Yes trickfred, it is necessary to save the file as "spanish.txt", hehe, I had figured that out already.

I have to say I'm glad to see that all the special characters have been included (I'm referring to á, é, í, ó, ú and ñ for Spanish). Without them the translation would be impossible, and I was fearing only English chars were in.

I don't know how long it could take me, especially because, at play, I'm still at the beginning of the game, and I guess translating it fully would spoil it for me . lol

Anyway, when it is ready I will upload it here.

Thank you all.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat May 21, 2005 4:40 pm

VMX wrote:Ok, thanks for you clear responses.

Yes trickfred, it is necessary to save the file as "spanish.txt", hehe, I had figured that out already.

I have to say I'm glad to see that all the special characters have been included (I'm referring to á, é, í, ó, ú and ñ for Spanish). Without them the translation would be impossible, and I was fearing only English chars were in.

I don't know how long it could take me, especially because, at play, I'm still at the beginning of the game, and I guess translating it fully would spoil it for me . lol

Anyway, when it is ready I will upload it here.

Thank you all.

Not entirely impossibly... you could always modify the font .bmp. ^_^

xander
Wet_Flannel
level2
level2

Postby Wet_Flannel » Sun May 22, 2005 10:22 am

yes font change sounds suspicious....
t3h flannel dont worry its a hippo
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Sun May 22, 2005 10:59 am

Isn't it just plain old ASCII chars? =/

Or has Chris done something horrid again? :P
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun May 22, 2005 1:25 pm

The font bitmap file is a mapping of the characters from ascii 32 onwards, so the game displays whatever the ascii value of each text string character is in terms of which sprite tile from the font bitmap it refers to (hence why ¦ is displayed as a space)
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Lone Wolf
level1
level1

Postby Lone Wolf » Sun May 22, 2005 7:50 pm

Hi VMX! There are some of the translators at the MOD section of the forum. In search we trust! :-)
You should complete a game once just to know what is Dr. S talking about, what terrible creatures are described, what happened to the world and lots of other stuff. You could make a proper translation then.
BTW, I'm almost done with Russian translation. Need to do some spellchecking. The whole work took almost a week.
Hmmm... It seems that you still will have to modify one of the fonts (editor_font_normal). Looks like it's missing some of the characters. Good luck VMX!
Dr4goN
level3
level3

Postby Dr4goN » Mon May 23, 2005 5:53 am

Lone Wolf wrote:There are some of the translators at the MOD section of the forum.

Yes, there is my group of translators, you can find them at Translation of Darwinia launched! thread.

Return to “General”