Serious graphical troubles... 10.3.7, p1b4d

Problems with the Mac version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

mbarr
level1
level1

Serious graphical troubles... 10.3.7, p1b4d

Postby mbarr » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:12 am

This doesn't really fall under the Class C bug.. it's a major problem.. but not fatal.

Late in the demo, the system starts getting very unstable. I suspect it's having trouble dealing with the number of darwinians around...

Trying to aim a radar dish starts bouncing the screen around, as you try to steer it. hitting space bar, end of trouble- stable screen.

Also, hit esc, and try to close the window, the system follows the mouse command, as if it wasn't in the menu.. making it very hard to hit the close button, as the mouse jumps back to the middle. eventually, you can time it right to hit the close button.

I also saw a squad member, and was able to select him, and control & fire him, without him showing in the contral panel.. Only 2 engineers in Alt screen...
John
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby John » Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:56 pm

Thanks for the report. Please could you tell me your computer model, and what speed is the processor?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:10 pm

If the problem with the mouse continues to happen, you might try hitting [F2]. [F2] cycles the camera behavior between standard, auto, and debug. In the standard mode, the cursor stays centered, and scenery pans around. In the debug mode, the camera is locked, and the cursor can be used to get to menus and such. Auto selects between the two, when it is appropriate. When you start a game, it should be on auto. This means that normal game play should use the standard mode, and when a menu pops up it automagically switches to debug mode.

BTW, you can hit [F1] to bring up the tools menu. This gives you instant access to various settings, as well as the camera mode.

I hope that gives you some help until the bugs are fixed.

xander
mbarr
level1
level1

My apologies..

Postby mbarr » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:12 pm

I assumed you had those on file.. iBook g4/800mhz. 640 meg ram.

Nothing else major running, although i've been unimpressed with the new Virex taking up power.

at the time in question i was seeing 5-6FPS. As soon as I post this I'll try to get a good baseline, since I normally quit Safari, as it sometimes takes up quite a bit of power.
mbarr
level1
level1

Postby mbarr » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:43 pm

I normally see 10-20 FPS. I turned off some of the graphics modes enhancements, and it stayed higher, depending on where I was looking, etc.

BTW- there is no QUIT anywhere.. Leave Location is about the best, and it doesn't seem very obvoius. Since I don't have the full version, I can't tell how you are using the metaphor, but for the demo level.. there is no way to save part way through, and no sense of Location.

If you aren't capuring Command (Apple) key combo's, it's traditional to have Command-Q quit. Esc on a mac is not obviuos choice.. and you'll get people stuck in the program, and very annoyed. (Kid runs off from machine, leaving program running.. parent has no idea how to quit..)

Return to “Mac Issues”