alt-tab vs command-tab

Problems with the Mac version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

xander
level5
level5

alt-tab vs command-tab

Postby xander » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:55 am

Not really a but, but a question/suggestion.

I assume that the [alt] + [tab] keybinding is based on the Windows application switching keybinding. To a Windows user, it is very intuitive, perhaps, to access the task manager via [alt] and select different tasks with [tab].

Under OS X, the standard key combination to do the same thing is [command] + [tab]. Is there any reason why the [command] key is not used to access the task manager, gestures screen, &c.?

This is not a major problem, but the [alt] key is smaller than the [command] key on my laptop keyboard, and I am used to using [command] in keyboard combos.

Thanks for the great games, guys ^_^
John
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby John » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:07 pm

An interesting point. Initially I chose alt-tab to keep it consistent with the windows and linux versions of the game. An accidental side benefit is that it is relatively easy to switch to another application in windowed mode, since the key-combination is different.

However, I have just looked into making it into Command+Tab, a technical problem seems to make it more effort than it might be worth. The problem is getting the command-tab event -- even if the mouse is grabbed, SDL does not receive it (in windowed mode at least).
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:58 pm

I have thought about the issue a bit more, and it almost makes more sense to leave it as it is, leaving the [command] + [tab] hook free for the system to use. Also, if it is left as is, how difficult would it be to allow the game to switch to other applications while in full screen mode? I have seen other progams do this -- genearlly, the switch to a windowed mode first, then go to the other app. This would allow users to switch apps without first windowing the game. Just a thought...

xander

Return to “Mac Issues”