General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

[Tournament] Complete Schedule: Round Three

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue May 08, 2007 12:32 am

Round Three

For clarity's sake: same rules for round one apply to round three, tournament mode, or default settings with private spec chat, no-shows can be replaced with available warm bodies, but those below have first dibs. CPU's must be used if no players are on hand to sub, and the names should be changed accordingly. I.e., [CPU]Ace Rimmer.

Current Standings:Image
Last edited by Ace Rimmer on Fri May 25, 2007 4:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Sirthomasthegreat
level3
level3

Postby Sirthomasthegreat » Tue May 08, 2007 2:22 am

could we bumb game 3 to 7 pm GMT as I am not home until 7pm GMT, which I specified earlier, or is that to much of a problem. I could try to get home earlier but I dont want another speeding ticket.
JESUS
level2
level2

Postby JESUS » Tue May 08, 2007 2:30 am

hello all,

back from my hols. I see we're on Weds 8-10 am gmt +1 ?

cool. i'll get practicing.
Church
level2
level2

Postby Church » Tue May 08, 2007 7:36 am

Hmmm...why do I get the feeling that Game 2 is going to be the "Game of Death?"
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Tue May 08, 2007 8:18 am

:wink: ill be there 100%

...unless my computer dies :roll:

...or my family dies...wait...no, i'll still be there :roll:

...or my dog dies...*remembered his dog is already dead* :cry:
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue May 08, 2007 6:47 pm

Please note: there will be a few changes to the schedule... Please stay tuned.

Also, a couple of points whilst you wait:

Built in flexibility: I used two hour blocks because 1 hour was just too much detail to work with. (multiple sheets, multiple threads, 30+players, etc) Plus, two hour blocks is prettier than 1 hour (or less) blocks. :wink: Anyway, my point here is that I picked the best time for 6 players based on times given by the players. If in getting organized, you find it beneficial to play the game a bit earlier or a bit later, that is acceptable. A bit = +/- 0-90 minutes or so. Any more than that, I need to know before hand.

Organizers: Please be aware that if you take the responsibility of being the "organizer" for your game (which is fine), you become the point of contact for all players and thus responsible for reporting in about your game. Also, you may want to actually wait for the schedule to become official before organizing.

Lastly, (and sadly), I may have to bow out of the tournament due to unforeseen circumstances beyond my control (unless someone can tell me how to get Defcon up and running with no open ports from work).
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Tue May 08, 2007 7:20 pm

where can we see who is the organizer of the game ?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue May 08, 2007 7:36 pm

You can find two of the here ----> Game Three, Game Four.

Ok, I've updated the schedule to spread out those "AWOL" players (in black) that may or may not show up. Please check the schedule again for those changes. Couple of things to remember:
  • This schedule will probably be the official one.
  • If a player doesn't show up, they are to be replaced with a CPU.
    • You might want to give that CPU the players name. :wink:
  • Tournament mode is to be used.
    • If you can't host 10 specs, then use default settings with Private spectator chat and the max number of specs you can handle.
  • Screen shots are required for official results.
  • Cheating (ghosting, Weps hacks :wink:, etc), purposely shutting down servers, etc will not be tolerated.
  • You can make all the alliances you want, but remember, you're playing to win.
  • If you do not show for your game time, you forfeit your spot.
  • Hosts: Please allow a few minutes before starting for those that may be a little late. 5 or so minutes is reasonable.
  • All games should be password protected until all scheduled players arrive.
    • Password must be removed before game play starts to allow for spectators.

Most of all Good Luck!

Edit: Organizers: For the sake of simplicity and organization, please use "[Tournament-Game x] Players Report Here" x = game number. Thank you.
Last edited by Ace Rimmer on Tue May 08, 2007 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erasmus J Homeowner
level2
level2

Postby Erasmus J Homeowner » Tue May 08, 2007 7:37 pm

Sirthomasthegreat wrote:could we bumb game 3 to 7 pm GMT as I am not home until 7pm GMT, which I specified earlier, or is that to much of a problem. I could try to get home earlier but I dont want another speeding ticket.

Dont see why not, have opened a game 3 thread. Hope its not pre-emptive of me.......
May the blessing of the bomb almighty descend on us all, this day and forever more.
Masaq
level2
level2

Postby Masaq » Tue May 08, 2007 7:39 pm

Hmmmm... not sure how possible this would be, but might be worth a try. Does your work network run PCs with XP on?

If so, check whether or not they have left Remote Desktop installed or not. For a long while I had a static IP address from my ISP, and was using it to host a SW: Battlefront II server pretty much 24/7.

Work had remote desktop installed on all the PCs, so I was able to log into my home PC from work to check up on the server through RD, whereas I was unable to either download, install or open the ports necessary to run the server management utility directly from the work network.

Unless you have a very fast ADSL connection at home (preferably with a very good upload speed), and a very fast connection from work (again, upload speed will be the deciding factor) it's probably not practical to play a game out without serious lag/connection issues, but it might just be possible to leave your home PC running and connected to the internet, check your IP address before you go to work, then log into your home machine via remote desktop and boot up defcon.

Even if it turns out not to be playable, well, it'll kill some time at work... ;)
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue May 08, 2007 7:44 pm

Masaq wrote:Hmmmm... not sure how possible this would be, but might be worth a try. Does your work network run PCs with XP on?

If so, check whether or not they have left Remote Desktop installed or not. For a long while I had a static IP address from my ISP, and was using it to host a SW: Battlefront II server pretty much 24/7.

Work had remote desktop installed on all the PCs, so I was able to log into my home PC from work to check up on the server through RD, whereas I was unable to either download, install or open the ports necessary to run the server management utility directly from the work network.

Unless you have a very fast ADSL connection at home (preferably with a very good upload speed), and a very fast connection from work (again, upload speed will be the deciding factor) it's probably not practical to play a game out without serious lag/connection issues, but it might just be possible to leave your home PC running and connected to the internet, check your IP address before you go to work, then log into your home machine via remote desktop and boot up defcon.

Even if it turns out not to be playable, well, it'll kill some time at work... ;)

I have a fair upload speed at home. XP pro at work, home edition at home. I'll have to try that...
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Masaq
level2
level2

Postby Masaq » Tue May 08, 2007 7:52 pm

Lemme know how it goes? One of the perennial problems of being a student psych nurse is getting left in the office for hours on end at times when particular patients don't want a student sitting in on their contact time. Knowing I could log into my PC and play a spot of defcon, (even if it was just against CPUs), would be a relief lol.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu May 17, 2007 9:36 pm

Proposed Game Times added to schedule, first one this Sat! Check link in first post above.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu May 17, 2007 9:38 pm

Say wha? Have my schedule for sunday been like that all along?

Well, that's worrisome, I'm home for the weekend and there is no way even if hell freezes over and the universe comes to an end that my mother lets me play during what will likely be lunch time :(

Is any chance of delaying game 2 say... 1 to 1 and a half hours?

If not, then I might have to skip it :(
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu May 17, 2007 9:41 pm

Xocrates wrote:Say wha? Have my schedule for sunday been like that all along?

Well, that's worrisome, I'm home for the weekend and there is no way even if hell freezes over and the universe comes to an end that my mother lets me play during what will likely be lunch time :(

Is any chance of delaying game 2 say... 1 to 1 and a half hours?

If not, then I might have to skip it :(

Looks like Hank might be the only one with an issue. Hank?

Edit: how about switching places with Homeowner?

Return to “General”