Crash when attempting to view Intro

Problems with the Windows version of Darwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, andy, John

Slayer
level2
level2

Crash when attempting to view Intro

Postby Slayer » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:01 pm

If you set the "ShowIntro" value to one, the game crashes at startup. This is presumably because there is no intro as of yet; however, I include this particular bug report simply for sake of completeness.
A different game, a second coming...
TripH
level1
level1

Postby TripH » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:33 pm

Are you serious? This is nowhere near a bug, as you're probably not supposed to change the configuration file.
Soulkeeper
level3
level3

Postby Soulkeeper » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:37 pm

Actually, you can...as much a you like. I have done it to tweak D to a semi-playable performance. Hopefully, IV will start work about these fps/mouse problems I have...then I will prob play with them some more...just to see how unstable I can make it >:-) Besides, Slayer is just trying to be thorough.
- I see your destiny, I control your fate. I am the Guardian Soulkeeper. -
Slayer
level2
level2

Postby Slayer » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:39 pm

As one of the things the 'blackbox.txt' file captures is the configuration settings, and as the configuration file has been placed there in the first place, it makes sense that it is intended to be edited. If nothing else, it allows us to test different resolutions, whether hardware sound works etc.

As for is this a bug, as I said, probably not; I've submitted it for sake of completeness. The only people who can be 100% sure whether the intro is supposed to work or not are the Introversion programmers. As it stands, the game crashes when you change a value in the user-accesible configuration file.

At this point, it's probably best to let this (bug? none-bug?) slide to the bottom of the forum; as stated, I only mentioned it for completeness.
Slayer
level2
level2

Postby Slayer » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:28 pm

UPDATE: It's been brought to my attention that certain ShowIntro values are valid. ShowIntro 0 has no effect, ShowIntro 2 brings up a possibly-official Darwinia intro, and ShowIntro 4 brings up the Intro based around Fodder of the Cannon variety. This means ShowIntro 1 crashing to desktop is a potential bug, as well as showintro 3.
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:39 pm

Intro 2 gives me a Matrix-esque Darwinia logo made from Darwinians, and 3 gives me a 'not endorsed by sensible software' message with some crazy music. I get an 'Unknown loader type' error if I set it to 4, and 1 crashes. Are you sure you havent got your numebrs mixed up?
Slayer
level2
level2

Postby Slayer » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:30 pm

Ack, yes, apologies; it is 3, not 4.
gumbo
level1
level1

Postby gumbo » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:31 pm

Well clearly the two intro's that work are IV playing around with what may look good and intro 1 is problbley been resvered for the distruted logo. I quite like the matrix intro. clearly the bit of code which run's on intro isnt working yet but they do have intro's just no function for main intro. i.e.

void main(){
intro1();
intro2();
intro3();
intro4();
}

Return to “Windows Issues”