Banning / quitting smoking

Anything and everything

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris

Should smoking be banned in public places like in Ireland and NYC?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:10 pm

Yes
74%
No
11%
Monkey!
16%

Total votes: 19
Soulkeeper
level3
level3

Postby Soulkeeper » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:56 pm

RDevz wrote:
I find somewhat annoying, as despite the fact that we are well aware of the working conditions, they're still somewhat unpleasant and it is in our employer's interest to make the work-place as comfortable as possible for the staff

But did you or did you not sign up to work there knowing the smoking policy and working conditions?

Actually, the argument isn't mine, I never really cared as I've been around smokers my entire life. I was getting annoyed because you're flaming my coworkers. Additionally, many of my coworkers are smokers - they simply hate the fact they're constantly breathing second-hand smoke.

The main reason why a bar is a no-smoking area is because the bar itself is seen as a 'food-surface'. Although there are no laws _against_ smoking in eating areas, companies like to emphasize they have a good head on hygiene practice.

Complain! Complain! It's a drink surface, and drinks are handed over in open-topped glass containers. I understand why the bar itself is often no-smoking, and I can cope with that. It's not too much effort to balance a cigarette/cigar/pipe in/on/by the ashtray and get a drink without smoking at the bar, but ashtrays are provided at tables, and they're usually a good distance from the service area.

...and food is served on a completely open plate. You're also misunderstanding me, the bar area is still open to smokers, the bar itself is non-smoking. It stops ash being dropped onto the food surface and smoke being blown into the staffs' faces.
- I see your destiny, I control your fate. I am the Guardian Soulkeeper. -
D Dude
level2
level2

Postby D Dude » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:38 pm

RDevz wrote:Compare it with prohibition in America. That worked well, didn't it?

It may not have stopped people drinking but, they did it away from public places, so it would force people to smoke away from general public places where people don't want to breath smoke.
RDevz
level0

Postby RDevz » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:35 pm

Soulkeeper wrote: I was getting annoyed because you're flaming my coworkers. Additionally, many of my coworkers are smokers - they simply hate the fact they're constantly breathing second-hand smoke.

I wasn't flaming them. I was merely being rude. Believe me, you'll know if I flame them. :-)

...and food is served on a completely open plate. You're also misunderstanding me, the bar area is still open to smokers, the bar itself is non-smoking. It stops ash being dropped onto the food surface and smoke being blown into the staffs' faces.

This actually appeals to me as the ideal arrangement. When I was referring to "bars" as being non-smoking, I was referring to the entire establishment, not just the bar counter where drinks are served.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 pm

I have a plan! Whenever there is a smoker annoying me, I'm going to go up to them and spray silly string at them, to see what they do. If they want to annoy me, I'll annoy them. After all, it's my right to spray silly string at people
Hiryuu
level2
level2

Postby Hiryuu » Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:07 am

Let me know how that pans out. :D
Money goooood! Fire baaaad! FIRE! BAAAAAAAAAD!
Spook
level2
level2

Postby Spook » Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:52 am

Darksun wrote:I have a plan! Whenever there is a smoker annoying me, I'm going to go up to them and spray silly string at them, to see what they do. If they want to annoy me, I'll annoy them. After all, it's my right to spray silly string at people

Has someone been reading PVP Online? ;)

Andrew
jim_the_coder
level2
level2

Postby jim_the_coder » Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:17 pm

Darksun wrote:
jim_the_coder wrote:Anyone read The Guardian in the UK? Headline today: Labour to ban smoking in public places :o Coincidence? I think not! Tony must be reading the forum :lol:

The government have denied planning this, or making this part of their manifesto for the next election

Eh?
The Guardian wrote:Matthew Tempest, political correspondent
Wednesday June 30, 2004

A controversial Labour party third-term pledge to ban smoking in public places could attract cross-party support, it emerged today.

Link to the story: http://politics.guardian.co.uk/homeaffairs/story/0,11026,1250876,00.html
I know I shouldn't believe everything I read in the papers, but headline news in a respected broadsheet is generally good enough for me...

Also, here's some interesting statistics to throw into the discussion:
The Guardian wrote:More than half of Britons are in favour of a total ban on smoking in public places.

Those who have never smoked are most likely to support a ban, as 67% of the poll revealed. But even among smokers, almost three in 10 also favoured a smoking ban.

While a quarter of smokers claimed they would not visit a public place with a no smoking policy, 15% said they would kick the habit if a ban was introduced.

In the UK, over a quarter of adults smoke while 43% have tried to give up at some point.

Those are from this story http://society.guardian.co.uk/publichealth/story/0,11098,1221014,00.html
da_zeg
level2
level2

Postby da_zeg » Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:42 pm

Flamekebab wrote:Well, whatever.

I just spend all my cash on alcohol. That way I can't afford junk food and so lose loads of weight.

Alcohol slows the metabolism and therefore in most cases causes you to gain weight. Ever heard of a beer belly?
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:54 pm

Of course I know that - however, I have lost ridiculous amounts of weight with zero effort.

So, maybe it only works for me, or maybe it has been all the emotional stress I've been under.
da_zeg
level2
level2

Postby da_zeg » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:53 pm

Sorry to hear, Flame

Don't let it get you down though, you might make the Beta.
Or would that be more stress?
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:56 pm

It'd be fun in some ways and not in others.
We'll see.

Meanwhile, I need some tighter belts and smaller trousers..
TheSnitch
level0

Postby TheSnitch » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:56 am

well... maybe I'm a bit late...
but I think, smoking should be banned...

I smoked myself some time ago but stopped doing it because of my girlfriend... :wink:
she asked me if I couldn't try, I tried, it worked and now I'm clean for about 4 years already...

wfg,
me
Lord_Doskias
level4
level4

Postby Lord_Doskias » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:28 am

hehehe, this has nothing to do with darwinia or IV. unless youre talking about the effects of smoking on gamers/beta testers/developers, and that doesnt seem likely
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:24 am

Do you want a cookie for figuring that out? The IV community has never been about being on topic or limiting conversation so why start now. :)
Lord_Doskias
level4
level4

Postby Lord_Doskias » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:39 am

i could go for a cookie. chocolate chip. mmmmmmmmmmmm chocolate :o

Return to “General”