No
30%

Total votes: 10
RavenFlyte
level1
level1

Multiwinia Tournament?

Postby RavenFlyte » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:54 pm

I'm thinking of starting a Multiwinia Tournament, where the winner can receive money via paypal. Just putting this message out now to find out who might be interested in a tournament. People can play different game modes which are available. I may consider DEFCON tournaments also. I think that this game NEEDS more players, and i think if it gets a motive like tournaments and prizes, it might make more people want to play it, creating more players of the game in general. I will probably organise it all via Youtube, in which case I will make a dedicated channel. Please Get back to me on whether you think this is a good idea?

IF I GET 10 VOTES YES, BEFORE 5 NO VOTES, I WILL START THE TOURNAMENT.

Thanks
Last edited by RavenFlyte on Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:12 pm

Tom.K
level1
level1
Location: The Universe / Milky Way / Solar System / Earth / Europe / Croatia

Postby Tom.K » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:17 pm

If I remember, Jelco hosted Anniversary Tournament Server before... I don't see any problems making more of tournaments of this game. Though, if prize is money, is it going to be pay-only tournament?
Spybot-S&D 2.0 Alpha Tester
RavenFlyte
level1
level1

Postby RavenFlyte » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:19 pm

You know the really funny thing is, ive just played a game of multiwinia, and ive literally just played Xander... Is this ladder for money though?
RavenFlyte
level1
level1

Postby RavenFlyte » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:22 pm

I was thinking free entries, and a prize at the end for 1st 2nd and 3rd? Just an idea, plus theres a lot of people use youtube now so it will be good prmotion for multiwinia.
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:16 pm

I'm so far down that ladder as I keep playing the better players... Getting trounced by xander 4 times in a row is always a laugh...

Anyway; yes. if there's any chance of another MW tourney, count me in.
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
RavenFlyte
level1
level1

Postby RavenFlyte » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:27 pm

I would love for you to do an announcement on your site for a tournament (if i can enough people interested). However i think it's also important that we try and have it on a Youtube channel. If you are up for the job to have the tournament info on your site, i think we could post which player vs which player as a video on youtube, and then link to your site for the full fixtures and a Scoreboard on who is leading etc. You will have noticed that there is a LOT of games on Youtube now, like Call of Duty & Minecraft gameplays, commentaries and tactics. Why can't Multiwinia &/or DEFCON have one. Its a great way to promote it, and thanks to the HumbleBundle,(which is where i got Mwinia from, previously played it on Xbox & LOVED it) Multiwinia has come to a lot more peoples attention, so its a perfect time to really get it into the spotlight.

As for your point about the money, i guess money is just an idea, i think your idea of having an item of less value to keep it friendly is a much better one. You obviously have a lot more experience in doing tournaments, from your site, so im happy for you to choose ideas for this, and would loved to hear what plans worked and what didn't in the past, i think they will benefit greatly.

@Cooper42 - My approach to a game with xander, its like :roll: "here we go again, another loss for the scoreboards." He is pretty damn awesome.
RavenFlyte
level1
level1

Postby RavenFlyte » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:58 pm

For people who play Call of Duty, (me being one of them), i know for a fact that after a while, it gets very boring and repetitive, people are always looking for new games to play, which is one of the reasons Minecraft kicked off so well, I know for a fact that i bought minecraft because i'd seen a review/gamepay of it on Youtube. It depends what you are searching for i agree, but a lot of games are all linked together with each other, so for example people searching Company of Heroes could also be linked to Multiwinia, as they are both strategy games. From a marketing point of view, i agree, its not IDEAL, but it is free, so you might as well give it a go, you never know, it might kick off. Look at youtube channels like BlueXephos, (http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueXephos), they do gameplays all the time, they have just recently uploaded a gameplay of Transport Tycoon, now don't get me wrong, that is free, but look at the number of views/comments saying "I'm going to get this game" etc. They don't just cover free games though. I'm sure if you were to get in contact with them they could do a gameplay of Multiwinia, and bring publicity to it. Another point to make is, thanks to the humblebundle which will bring a lot of people into the Multiwinia world, i think it makes more people search it up into Youtube in the first place, and from that people who are subscribed to the viewer get to see which videos they have watched/liked/commented on, which may make the subscriber interested too.

As for your point about replays, i think they could be useful, could maybe include a "replay of the week" or something like that, to upload to youtube, where a commentary could be made over it, like the best match of the week etc.
Tom.K
level1
level1

Postby Tom.K » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:43 pm

RavenFlyte wrote:Look at youtube channels like BlueXephos, (http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueXephos), they do gameplays all the time, they have just recently uploaded a gameplay of Transport Tycoon, now don't get me wrong, that is free, but look at the number of views/comments saying "I'm going to get this game" etc. They don't just cover free games though. I'm sure if you were to get in contact with them they could do a gameplay of Multiwinia, and bring publicity to it.

In reality, kids keep posting "Im gonna buy thiz etc." but they never do it, and that channel is just popular because of Minecraft, mostly nobody cares about other games, and if they show MW, I'm 100$ sure that 90% of players who join here again will be 5-12 year old kids which have no idea about game at all, then they complain about bugs etc. I'm kind of "lets play" hater. It just spoils everything when you can't play it by yourself.

This is just my opinion.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:54 pm

Get some news sites post a video of someone accidentally burning his house down while trying to make a tutorial video and people will buy MW because of that, too.
RavenFlyte
level1
level1

Postby RavenFlyte » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:56 pm

@bert_the_turtle Sorry i didn't quite understand your comment, however i get the impression your patronising me for my suggestions to help grow the game. Apologies if i'm wrong.

And @ Tom.K, why can't the game be criticised? At least the "5 - 12 year old kids" have bought the game, and you don't have to listen to them do you? Or if there are complaints about it being "buggy" surely the money can be used to develop the game and patch the bugs, which in this case, there aren't THAT many. The money could be used to add new features, if people want them. This game could be modernised, as well as the classic version which we all know & love. Its putting options out there for a wider market. I know monecraft is one of the main things for them, but people enjoy listening to their commentaries too, theyre very funny & entertaining. Look at their transport tycoon views, 60,000 views, on a video which was released 1 day ago. Thats potentially 60,000 people you didn't have before, and this won't just bring in "5-12 year olds". It's not a CoD community that follows Minecraft too. There will be some people who will appreciate the game for its simplicity.

We are going way off track from what the main topic is here though. I have merely put forward a suggestion for a Multiwinia Tournament, which i've had support from people like Jelco & Cooper, and the opposite from others. I will try and raise awareness for it within the game itself online. That is where i'm going to get the most support if any. It's the players after all that will be taking part. I've noticed a lot whilst playing that there is a big % of people play it & don't take part in the forums. I don't see any harm in making a Youtube to try and spread the word about MW. The tournament would also create a competitive side to it, and make people strive to be better.
Tom.K
level1
level1

Postby Tom.K » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:21 am

*offtopic*, When kids keep spamming, you will see. It's not that easy.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:24 pm

RavenFlyte wrote:@bert_the_turtle Sorry i didn't quite understand your comment, however i get the impression your patronising me for my suggestions to help grow the game. Apologies if i'm wrong.
I'm referring to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjSWPxJxNs
It was all over the relevant news sites when it came out and was one of the reasons many people got minecraft in the first place (IMHO), because it demonstrated what kind of cool things could happen in the game. My (sarcastic) point is that you can't have a video like this for MW because it's all just stick dudes not following orders very well.
The Joker
level1
level1

Postby The Joker » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:11 pm

I've created a community group centered specifically around Multiwinia and DEFCON tournaments, join it!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/introv ... ournaments
RavenFlyte
level1
level1

Postby RavenFlyte » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:07 pm

Nice man, thats awesome. When are you thinking of kicking it off? Starting up games? I still think a Youtube channel is a good idea to promote it too.... I could start one up, call it the same as what you have called that steam group. We should start up a tourney now! :D Im really up for it now :P haha

Return to “General”