"Crate luck"

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Kaizer
level1
level1

"Crate luck"

Postby Kaizer » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:25 am

I was playing a game on shrine of memory today against an opponent who was both skilled and polite, i.e. he seemed to be enjoying the game as well.

i ended up winning but as we finished off he started complaining about how i only won because i got lucky with crates, which suprised me because i played against him before and he always struck me as being above that kind of thing.

The point i make is thus: telling an opponent they only won because of crate luck leaves them with a bad taste in their mouth, even if they did get lucky why can't people just type 'gg' and beat them next round?

(also please note that i'm not trying to imply this problem is rampant, it's just every now and then i do see it pop up)

thoughts on this guys?
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:44 am

Without having watched the game I can't really comment. It is possible to win/lose due to crate luck, and as far as I know he might not even have been mad about it.

If however, the game was overall balanced, then he was probably just a sore loser. Quite frankly this kind of situations is unavoidable unless you play with no crates.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:58 am

It leaves just a bad a taste in the loser's mouth to be told by the game that the other player outperformed them when what actually won wasn't a player but what appears to be pure luck doing it for them. And if beating them next time means being the lucky one with crates, it still sucks.

I don't like non-basic crates in 2p maps (esp. rated) for exactly this reason: "Oh yay, I got the Meteor Shower this time. What's the most devastating thing I can do... ooh, your defensive line stopping me from going straight for your home spawns! Are you having fun, because I am!"
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:40 am

Mas Tnega wrote:It leaves just a bad a taste in the loser's mouth to be told by the game that the other player outperformed them when what actually won wasn't a player but what appears to be pure luck doing it for them. And if beating them next time means being the lucky one with crates, it still sucks.

I don't like non-basic crates in 2p maps (esp. rated) for exactly this reason: "Oh yay, I got the Meteor Shower this time. What's the most devastating thing I can do... ooh, your defensive line stopping me from going straight for your home spawns! Are you having fun, because I am!"

I played a game very much like that recently on Shrine to Memory. I got raped by ants in the first five minutes of the game, which pissed me off. The other player agreed that is entirely sucked, and we both shrugged and kept playing. I then got a meteor shower and several other good crates, and ended up barely winning the game. That sucked, too, because there was really no skill involved on either player's part. I don't think either of us much enjoyed the game.

xander
Kaizer
level1
level1

Postby Kaizer » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:40 am

the point im trying to make is that though its not the opposing player's fault, he/she still cops flak from the 'offended' player. I dont think thats fair. i agree that non-basic crates in 2p aren't fair, but we cant set basic crates on official forums.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:56 pm

If flak's going out anywhere at any time, it's going to be at the only other human player at the end of the match. With how irritating it is, something's going to be said.
Kaizer
level1
level1

Postby Kaizer » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:13 pm

and do you believe that's good ettiquite? it's not justified, people shouldn't be getting so worked up about a videogame
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:26 pm

Kaizer wrote:and do you believe that's good ettiquite? it's not justified, people shouldn't be getting so worked up about a videogame

Who do you think that I think is more "worked up" about a video game: the person that curses their luck with crates in the middle of a game, or the person that takes the time to post to the forums about some guy that curses his luck with crates in the middle of a game?

xander
moth
level1
level1

Postby moth » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:08 pm

I generally enjoy crate luck, good and bad. I take a certain pride in smiling in the face of bad luck, often hold back deploying powerups when i think i can win without them, and employ them with glee when i need them or just feel malicious.
Kaizer
level1
level1

Postby Kaizer » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:41 pm

okay xander you have to chill man i'm trying to discus the issue not winge about it. You're not helping the discussion.

See moth has the right idea, multiwina should be fun rather than everyone be at eachothers throats
Kaizer
level1
level1

Postby Kaizer » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:59 pm

i never really though that everyone was against me jelco, just xander. but i suppose you are right about discussing the issue. i'll drop it.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:56 am

Kaizer wrote:okay xander you have to chill man i'm trying to discus the issue not winge about it. You're not helping the discussion.

See moth has the right idea, multiwina should be fun rather than everyone be at eachothers throats

I am quite chill. I was neither upset nor attacking you when I posted. I am sorry that you have decided to interpret it that way. I just don't understand the point of this thread. Originally, I thought it had something to do with the element of luck in the game of Multiwinia, as indicated by the topic. Upon reading it, I discovered that it was instead a complaint about people that complain about that luck, and you indicated that people who complain about the luck of the crates get "worked up." I replied with a simple question, which I shall repeat: Who is more worked up?

On the one hand, there are people complaining about luck in the heat of the moment, when they are frustrated that luck has not gone their way. On the other hand, we have someone who seems to be so offended by this behaviour that they feel the need to post a topic in the forums about it. Clearly, you and I disagree about the severity or importance of the problem vis-à-vis the first group of people. This disagreement does not mean that I am attacking you. Rather, I would just like you to realize the irony of the position that you have put yourself in, with regard to the second group of people described.

xander
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:23 pm

xander wrote:
Kaizer wrote:okay xander you have to chill man i'm trying to discus the issue not winge about it. You're not helping the discussion.

I am quite chill. I was neither upset nor attacking you when I posted. I am sorry that you have decided to interpret it that way. I just don't understand the point of this thread. Originally, I thought it had something to do with the element of luck in the game of Multiwinia, as indicated by the topic. Upon reading it, I discovered that it was instead a complaint about people that complain about that luck, and you indicated that people who complain about the luck of the crates get "worked up." I replied with a simple question, which I shall repeat: Who is more worked up?

On the one hand, there are people complaining about luck in the heat of the moment, when they are frustrated that luck has not gone their way. On the other hand, we have someone who seems to be so offended by this behaviour that they feel the need to post a topic in the forums about it. Clearly, you and I disagree about the severity or importance of the problem vis-à-vis the first group of people. This disagreement does not mean that I am attacking you. Rather, I would just like you to realize the irony of the position that you have put yourself in, with regard to the second group of people described.

xander
How do you do that? You know, act all friendly and serious and at the same time get the person you're talking to to hate your guts?
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:06 pm

Vell, xander's just zis guy, you know?
Krion112
level2
level2

Postby Krion112 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:19 pm

Xander tells me stuff that I feel I know but have forgotten due to certain things I find more inportant, but I take what he says as reminding advice...

I'm sure the second he reads this, he will tell me something I know, and then I'll store or take note on that, and life goes on.

Return to “General”