More formations?

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Phevnil
level1
level1

More formations?

Postby Phevnil » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:57 pm

Curently the only formation is a forward faceing square. What I would really like to see is a few more types to chose from. Say a circle formation that can't move and is spread thiner but is facing all directions. Or a semi cirlce much the same as the full circle but spread thicker yet only in the front. Or a version of the semi circle facing rear of the oficer for retreating. Post your formation ideas.
[insert outrageously funny/insightful comment here]
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:00 pm

First, post your UI interface ideas :)
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:08 pm

Almost first, great idea!!

How about a pyramid formation, designed to break trough formations and masses of mwg.

I think a hotkey system would be best, and that you can select a start formation for use of the way its now.
Last edited by Cyan. on Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phevnil
level1
level1

Postby Phevnil » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:14 pm

I'm no UI designer but it would be something like the power up selection system but it appears above the officer when you select him then right click. Some thing simple like that.
[insert outrageously funny/insightful comment here]
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:19 pm

Beer guarding tower!

:P

(/me waits for photos)
TheRileyDuo
level1
level1

Postby TheRileyDuo » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:07 am

The thing about the square is that it's really simple to create onea and easy to move, while also housing the GOTO command that makes directing lots of multiwinians around the map easy. If you add any extra formations, it means more mouse clicks for the player. Right now, I can move and create a formation in 2 clicks. Even better, Multiwinians not doing anything will step in line with the advancing formation on their own. So if you can design a system to quickly set up these extra formations, while not tampering with the simple system allready in place, I'm all for it. But I don't think you can.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:02 pm

I like the triangular formation idea, since it could be effective on the charge, but doesn't work well if it's attacked from the flanks.

Like how formations now have a longer firing range, maybe another kind of bonus can be given to triangles?

Just add another click to the formation. Once for movement, twice for brick, three times for 'spear' formation.
Qjet
level1
level1

Postby Qjet » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:35 pm

just because a formation looks pointy doesn't mean it will pierce through something.

the ONLY benefit a formation gets you is MWs in a consistent firing line.

The requirement and use of formation warfare only existed when combat was melee. The longer the range, the less use this had.
MW's are basically on the level of muskets which can reload but only shoot a short distance. And there was truthfully only really one formation

a rectangle

Frankly i can only see the formations benefiting from one other stance. and that one would be half the thickness and double the width.

the current formation:

could also become:

Not as useful, but would also have application.
Outside of that, there really doesn't need to be much more thought.
Krion112
level2
level2

Postby Krion112 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:31 am

how 'bout like a formation goto comman? you right click a third time, and using the mouses scroll wheel or a key on the keyboard, it'll swap, and then you right click to a location and the multiwinians move there, full speed, but not accompanied by the officer, and when atleast 10 get near him again, they'll do the same thing
andreimarra
level0

Re: More formations?

Postby andreimarra » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:22 pm

Phevnil wrote:Curently the only formation is a forward faceing square. What I would really like to see is a few more types to chose from. Say a circle formation that can't move and is spread thiner but is facing all directions. Or a semi cirlce much the same as the full circle but spread thicker yet only in the front. Or a version of the semi circle facing rear of the oficer for retreating. Post your formation ideas.

it's a great idea!!!
Amadaus Tesla
level0

Postby Amadaus Tesla » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:51 pm

It certainly Sounds cool and useful, but bringing a third click into play has the potential to mess up players existing tactics. The potential of using the wrong formation at the wrong time, because you clicked the wrong number of times can be rather worrisome.
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:56 pm

Hreat idea indeed, stil waiting tho...
Killjoy
level1
level1

Postby Killjoy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:48 pm

I think more formations would make it alot more interesting

eos
level2
level2

Postby eos » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:17 pm

Yeah, but while I think more formations would be a good idea the only one of the ones I saw above making the light of day would be the circle/half circle. And then probably only in K.O.T.H.

Sigh... I really want the Mac version to come out soon.
My other account is Steve Jobs!

Return to “The Future”