Why does hardly anyone play this anymore?

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:22 pm

In my opinion Dedwinia killed Multiwinia, somehow.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:25 pm

Erm... What? That's plain silly.

The only difference is if Dedwinia wasn't around instead of seeing several empty servers you would hardly see any servers.
martinmir
level2
level2

Multiplayer Time Frame

Postby martinmir » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:52 pm

We need more popular times to play globally.

Do not worry though as people who own the game is growing day by day.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:19 pm

When people see empty servers it gives a feeling of... emptiness. Seeing an empty list might give a similar effect, but the difference is that with dedwinia there are so many useless servers right now that it seems like the game is too inactive for ITSELF. Or something.
I dunno, I lost my train of thought.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:52 pm

NeatNit wrote:When people see empty servers it gives a feeling of... emptiness. Seeing an empty list might give a similar effect, but the difference is that with dedwinia there are so many useless servers right now that it seems like the game is too inactive for ITSELF. Or something.
I dunno, I lost my train of thought.
No, that's entirely correct. There's too many empty servers. That increases the "oh, nobody is on" sensation, even if there are active players. Let's shut some of those down. I'll start. Which server do you feel is most expendable:
- Dedwinia Test Duel
- Fish Bowl (the one with extra many crates)
- The regular one with default settings
I'd pick the regular one. (There's also the server accessible to beta testers only; that's going to stay up, it gets sorted all the way to the bottom for regular players and doesn't spam the list)

Of course, the main list spammer is NeoThermic, his armada of servers could use some cutting. We don't need every game mode available all of the time, a decent rotation should suffice.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:49 pm

Dedwinia Test Duel?

How about making a new topic with a poll? AND MAKING NEOTHERMIC DO THE SAME!!!
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:19 pm

The more I look for a game on MW, the more I'm convinced lobby chat would be a massive help.
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
MarvintheParanoidAndroid
level3
level3

Postby MarvintheParanoidAndroid » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:58 pm

Hmm, I will admit that I'm occasionally guilty of not joining a game because I'd rather play on a dedicated server, where I know the host won't disconnect, it won't be horribly laggy, and the game is indexable on the ladder. However it seems that these days the only way to get anything other than a duel played is to just join somebody else's listen server. That said, the huge list of "Neothermic's XYZ server" does make the server list look rather bare, in a backwards kind of way, so a few less servers might be better.

And yes, lobby chat please! That, or let's just get more people idling in #multiwinia - in the past I've just spammed there occasionally to try and get people to join a game, usually with reasonable success.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:03 pm

NeatNit wrote:Dedwinia Test Duel?

How about making a new topic with a poll? AND MAKING NEOTHERMIC DO THE SAME!!!

NOOOOO! Do NOT kills Dedwinia Test Duel! That is my favorite!

Honestly, I would probably kill off most of NeoThermic's game mode servers. It is really nice to be able to find a blitz server at any time of day or night, but having a separate server for each game mode clutters things up. If 'twere up to me, I would keep a grand total of two demo servers, one or two duel servers, one or two 2-4 player servers (i.e. Dedwinia Test), and Fish Bowl (which is a lark).

xander

EDIT: MarvintheParanoidAndroid: You could also join Dedwinia Test (for a ranked game) or Fish Bowl (for an unranked game). Both servers often advertise two player maps, but they will adjust to as many players as join.
Shamanamatrix
level0

Postby Shamanamatrix » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:57 pm

Yes we need the map editor SOON !
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:05 pm

Not Fish Bowl! That's where I play games that are fun! Never kill Fish Bowl! ;-;
MarvintheParanoidAndroid
level3
level3

Postby MarvintheParanoidAndroid » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:28 pm

xander wrote:EDIT: MarvintheParanoidAndroid: You could also join Dedwinia Test (for a ranked game) or Fish Bowl (for an unranked game). Both servers often advertise two player maps, but they will adjust to as many players as join.

Aha thanks, I always forget which servers it is that do that. I shall have to try and join those more often.
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:40 pm

I know this is probably asking far too much from the already amazing Bert, but the ability to vote for map and game type swaps would solve this completely by allowing players to join any server and set it up as they wish...

Until then, yes, please keep fishbowl, maybe one or two demos, and one on rotation if possible (but don't bother with RR...)
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:51 pm

How about:

/votemapchange
vote to change to a different random map or use "/votemapchange list" to get a list of available maps.
and
/voteadmin
start a vote for the player being the admin (yes/no). The admin can change the gameplay settings. If no player uses this command and a game is started... then meh.

:P

I feel completely off today. This must be how (barely) drugged people feel.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:24 pm

bert and others have discussed the possibility of making it possible for players to change maps on the fly. The problem seems to be that the maps have really unintuitive file names, and getting a vote to work properly would probably be a royal pain in the ass.

xander

Return to “General”