Why does hardly anyone play this anymore?

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Arrowhead
level1
level1

Why does hardly anyone play this anymore?

Postby Arrowhead » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:37 pm

I went online hoping to get in on a quick game but even though I saw plenty of servers, they all were empty. I waited for like 20 minutes, and no one joined.

Shame, I still think Multiwinia rocks, just needs more people online.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:56 pm

Everyone is waiting for v2 or v3, whichever is coming out next with the biggest amount of changes.
Killjoy
level1
level1

Postby Killjoy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:19 am

Need a lobby, kinda like the one that is in the servers, or something that says, 10players waiting to join.

If a chat was there, you could quickly type, "im off in Server1 whos coming?"
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:26 am

We're all waiting for the map editor to come out.

At least, I am.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:43 am

Kuth wrote:We're all waiting for the map editor to come out.

At least, I am.

What I said.
Krion112
level2
level2

Postby Krion112 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:37 am

I feel same, the current maps have become blunt, like a tv show that just reruns... All we need is the map editor, which will be a moment I'm sure, so in the mean time, I'm going to work on Darwinia's Game Physics... I feel like in the modding spirit :wink:
mr_shoe_uk
level1
level1

Postby mr_shoe_uk » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:32 pm

I'm waiting for the much simpler master of multiwinia and exploer achievements to patch!
Nova Cygni
level1
level1

Postby Nova Cygni » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:12 pm

Because it isn't a very good game.

Too random, too quick, no trust-and-deception, doesn't reward getting good at it.

It's a shame after Defcon, which I still have binges of every now and again. IV should stick to cerebral games and leave ten-minute-random-event-generators well alone.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:39 pm

Nova Cygni wrote:Because it isn't a very good game.

There's a difference between the game being good and you liking it.

Multiwinia is a good game. However I do believe that being a bit more casual oriented does mean it won't have a particularly large or permanent online following.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:44 pm

Nova Cygni, I must disagree strongly with you. I've loved every IV game except Defcon. It's a great concept, and very well done, but not my type of game.
So while I respect your opinion, I'm glad they did go through with Multiwinia.

If I had more time, I would be playing it a lot more.

Edit: Ninja'd again!
Nova Cygni
level1
level1

Postby Nova Cygni » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:01 pm

Xocrates wrote:
There's a difference between the game being good and you liking it.

Multiwinia is a good game. However I do believe that being a bit more casual oriented does mean it won't have a particularly large or permanent online following.

Judging by the number of people playing the game, it isn't just me who doesn't like it. Thus it isn't a very good game.

Being exclusively casual means it has been a flop. As you say, IV have failed to garner a large or a permanent fanbase for this game, which follows naturally from making a good game. Defcon can be played casually and by dedicated players, which is why it is still popular now. I don't think IV said during pre-production meetings "hey, Mutiwinia will be a casual game, so we won't be attracting a large or permanent following, and that's ok".
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:54 pm

In the same way that good isn't the same as liking it, popular isn't the same as being good (as we have been shown time and time again).

The problem isn't as simple as you understand it. In all likelihood most of the people that might have fun playing Multiwinia may never have even heard of it. And even of they did many probably don't feel like giving away the money. And even if they did I doubt most would play online.

Yes, I think IV made a few mistakes regarding Multiwinia, but that doesn't mean that the game is either bad or an error.

Also, lacking a community doesn't mean that the game is bad, as you can probably find more active communities in worse games and vice versa. It means that the community itself is. The only real way around this is with a large marketing push (about which Darwinia+ might help a lot).
Krion112
level2
level2

Postby Krion112 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:47 pm

Well I thought multiwinia was a great game, I just get board easily overcoming the ai, on every map over an over again. That's it, I'm just a making kind of person, if I have to go through playing rounds over and over again I get bored, and, well, stop playing the game for awhile. But most people dont play Multiwinia for that and several other reasons, like: they dislike it, they've never heard of it, they cant play it, or like in my example. There, to my knowledge, is no majority to any of those ideas, they're kinda spread evenly.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:38 pm

Nova Cygni wrote:Judging by the number of people playing the game, it isn't just me who doesn't like it.

By that standard, Defcon isn't a very good game, either. Both games have a fairly small but dedicated following, and a relatively small player base. You claim that Defcon is so much better, but the arguments that you have leveled against Multiwinia could just as easily be leveled against Defcon.

xander
Killjoy
level1
level1

Postby Killjoy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:03 am

I love multiwinia, but it needs sooo much more! more maps, something to have a good 30min game thats not rocket riot!

Return to “General”