Blitz should be enhanced?

General discussion about Game Play

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Cyan.
level3
level3

Blitz should be enhanced?

Postby Cyan. » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:39 am

Well to begin with let me tell you my idea of what blitz was intended to be about and should be about, Xander feel free to correct me, after all you are the most knowledgeable on this terrain I guess.

Anyway to start with, Blitz should be fast attacks against a enemy players c.q. spawns. Not only should they be fast but the enemy player should also get overpowered. Last thing you have to lineairy work your way to the main goal, by flags. And let's not forget, surpirse attacks.

First thing, I don't think the attacks have the feel of being fast, mostly because you'll use armours and they aren't very fast. Tho it might gives you this feel of you overpower an enemy in the first minute, however if this doesn't happen you'll probably have a long game or get a shower or nuke to end it.

In maps with spawns in it the game will probably go over these spawns and to secure the line of flags, once on party has a definite advantages in spawns he can just waite and stronghold enough flags to win. In this way blitz is just an odd way of dom, and I don't like it, tho this could be just me.
A enemy will only get overpowered if you have this definite advantages in spawns, but then you can see it long coming and it isn't surprising anymore

The flags, its a nice sysytem, but sometimes it feels more like guerilla warfare then a real blitz attack.

Surprise attacks can not be really done, because you most of the time just follow the armours, right?

I don' t have much answers about how I would like to see it, but this things I might like:

1. When your enemy has more mwg's your mwg's will get killed quicker then normal, no grenades!

2. Spawns should not be set in exact places, but more like crates that when you conquer and open it you get reinforcements then it disappears again.

3. Flags should be automatically go up after you have established a line of fight that is beyond it (not sure about this one, I just wanted something that would spare you the trouble of taking a flag).

4. Maybe you can have 3 starting power-ups in the form of hotfeet

5. Maybe some heavier slower units, somewhat like moving turrets.

6. Make homespawn more accesible, like in the bleak mountains, I really always rely on power-ups.

Maybe it's not all very clear or you don't like it, but don't blame me its 5:40 AM :P.

Btw. xander when you want to give your '"constructive criticism", be nice to will you :) ?haha
TheRileyDuo
level1
level1

Postby TheRileyDuo » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:06 am

I oppose any system that tampers with the Multiwinia buffer source code in any form, so don't take away my grenades.

I don't want new slower units, either. Use the resources you have to imporve the game, don't make up any.

I love the idea of reinforcement cubes. I think that it could be a lot of fun to have no spawning multiwinians, an instead, make mad dashes for cubes. That would require a lot of balancing, though.

The biggest problem with blitz is that the turrets that help defend an area are a little to strong. It's really hard to mass together enough troops to overcome that turret.
xander
level5
level5

Re: Blitz should be enhanced?

Postby xander » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:27 pm

Cyan. wrote:1. When your enemy has more mwg's your mwg's will get killed quicker then normal, no grenades!

So, when a person losing, you want to take away their 'nades? Is that what you are suggesting?

Cyan. wrote:2. Spawns should not be set in exact places, but more like crates that when you conquer and open it you get reinforcements then it disappears again.

Meh. You could achieve this effect with the map editor, but I don't think that random reinforcements would really help the mode at all.

Cyan. wrote:3. Flags should be automatically go up after you have established a line of fight that is beyond it (not sure about this one, I just wanted something that would spare you the trouble of taking a flag).

I disagree. You have to invest the time and DGs to capture the flag. It slows down an advance, and gives the defending player a chance to react. Also, it only takes one or two DGs to actually raise a flag, so it doesn't really slow a good attacker at all -- he leaves one or two DGs to slowly raise the flag, while everyone else keeps going.

Cyan. wrote:4. Maybe you can have 3 starting power-ups in the form of hotfeet

While this is an interesting idea, I don't see how it makes blitz, as a game mode, any better. I don't like the idea of every blitz game starting with three hotfeet. Also, most blitz games have armour and turrets (or airstrikes) -- you would very quickly run out of power-up slots.

Cyan. wrote:5. Maybe some heavier slower units, somewhat like moving turrets.

I think this would be actively bad. Right now, you have to make a decision between using turrets to defend your rear, or to attack. Once you place a turret, that is one few turret that you can use somewhere else. They are not mobile, nor should they be. Your proposal would eliminate this choice, meaning that players would no longer have to worry about how they spend their resources.

Cyan. wrote:6. Make homespawn more accesible, like in the bleak mountains, I really always rely on power-ups.

I don't understand what you mean by this.

Finally, you say that armour aren't all that fast. However, they are quite a bit faster than any other unit in the game that a player can use. Perhaps the problem that you have is that the mode is called "blitzkrieg," thus you expect it to be fast?

xander
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:33 pm

hah well yeah when I hear blitzkireg I expect it to be fast, so that's was what I was hoping for a more faster mode, with less guerilla warfare. Anyway how it play out now most of the times I don't really like it, but maybe I should play it mroe often to learn the more subtile play styles involved?
MarvintheParanoidAndroid
level3
level3

Postby MarvintheParanoidAndroid » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:45 pm

I've always found blitz fantastically slow and dull, with the possible exception of a few 2 player games. On Gridlock in particular, I always got the impression that you would have to capture flags in sequence in order to reach the enemy base (like Onslaught in UT2004), but it seems that all that matters is their base is not locked by them owning the closest flag. I don't know if it would negatively or positively affect the gameplay, but it makes sense in my head that way (and I've heard other players' surprise when I attack their bases without capturing any flags in between). But to be honest, I just don't really think it's the mode for me, so my opinion on it is fairly irrelevant :P
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:34 am

MarvintheParanoidAndroid wrote:I've always found blitz fantastically slow and dull, with the possible exception of a few 2 player games. On Gridlock in particular, I always got the impression that you would have to capture flags in sequence in order to reach the enemy base (like Onslaught in UT2004), but it seems that all that matters is their base is not locked by them owning the closest flag. I don't know if it would negatively or positively affect the gameplay, but it makes sense in my head that way (and I've heard other players' surprise when I attack their bases without capturing any flags in between). But to be honest, I just don't really think it's the mode for me, so my opinion on it is fairly irrelevant :P

If a flag is not locked, then any player can grab that flag. However, in order to eliminate a player, you have to have your own base locked, you have to capture their base, and any flags between you and them need to be captured. If you raise your color in an enemy base, then their status goes from "Under Thread" to "Enemy Occupied." Thus, you can capture enemy bases without capturing all of the flags in between, but you cannot eliminate another player until you have the flags between.

xander
MarvintheParanoidAndroid
level3
level3

Postby MarvintheParanoidAndroid » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:00 am

Righto, thanks for clarifying :)
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:21 am

If you REALLY want to cheat and make it much faster, extract the stats from the main.dat file with WinRAR, put it in the data folder and modify the speeds and settings. It's what I did. And now I get the fast gameplay of making decisions at faster paces for a more fun challenge.

Be careful with this though. If set to a destination really close by, the multiwinians will spin in circles forever trying to get to their spot. 60 is good enough, that's triple the normal speed, and it still works.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:02 am

Major Cooke wrote:If you REALLY want to cheat and make it much faster, extract the stats from the main.dat file with WinRAR, put it in the data folder and modify the speeds and settings. It's what I did. And now I get the fast gameplay of making decisions at faster paces for a more fun challenge.

And... uh... how well does that work against other people? :roll:

xander
Krion112
level2
level2

Postby Krion112 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:07 am

MajorCooke2: Be careful with this though. If set to a destination really close by, the multiwinians will spin in circles forever trying to get to their spot. 60 is good enough, that's triple the normal speed, and it still works.

Learned it the hard way >.<" Made my head hurt with them just spinning around and around and around! yeah 60 works best, 255 = K.O. or MIGRANE, or some pain of the head >.<.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:13 pm

LMAO. Pwnt.

Not to mention that if they fly towards water, their insta-fucked. Or a forcefield not related to their team.
TheRileyDuo
level1
level1

Postby TheRileyDuo » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:42 am

Just so we're clear, this is a cheat, right? It will only make your own multiwinians faster.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:10 am

It's not a cheat, since it can't be used against other players, as xander pointed out. The game would get out of sync really fast.
It's a single player mod that makes all multiwinians really fast.

Return to “Gameplay Discussion”