The Official Unofficial Multiwinia Ladder

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

pokeythepenguin
level0

Postby pokeythepenguin » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:50 pm

Will there be like a calander page where people can post times ranges of planned open/closed ranked/unranked matches? Other players can also leave feedback wether they will be availble then or not?
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:08 pm

I was about to answer to that with "the ladder isn't a replacement for the forums/IRC", but it turns out I read your idea a bit too quickly. That is in fact a really good idea, thanks! :) I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: While I'm posting, I can say that we're getting closer and closer to a final version. In a couple of days we'll do the first tests with the dedicated server software sending match data to the ladder and having it be indexed, all seems to be working fine at the moment. :)

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:14 pm

Small bump to give everybody a heads-up about the state of this thing.

Currently the only component that seems to be troubling is the one responsible for reading the match details sent to it by Dedwinia. Unfortunately though, while it seems to be just one tiny bug that keeps crashing the thing, I simply cannot find it. I'm probably going to spend all day on this tomorrow, hopefully I'll have it sorted out. There are no guarantees that everything else will just keep working after that of course, I wouldn't at all be surprised if the next script in the chain fails in some inexplicable way after I've finally fixed the logfile parser. :P

There are currently two people working on layouts for the system, since I absolutely suck at design as can be seen in the screenshots in my first post (which show my placeholder template currently in use). MaximusBrood and RabidZombie have their own schedule though, of course, so I cannot guarantee anything about when those will be finished.

Aside from this, Dedwinia is currently in public testing as most of you know and is happily spamming the ladder server with log files - at least that part works. ;) It looks like it is close to being released in the form of binaries, but I can already tell you that a simultaneous launch is going to be nigh impossible - the ladder will lag behind quite definitely. I think it's important to let you know about this, because I can already picture the questions about this.

If everything goes according to my planning, I'll be able to kick the system live in 2 or 3 weeks, but please don't take this as anything definite - my guess is as good as yours. :)

EDIT: After a lot of cursing I've finally been able to make it work and the system is currently happily indexing matches played on the Dedwinia test server. :D For the moment it seems my work is done, I will have to wait for the templates to be finished at least, and until then I'm going to see if there are some other things I can improve. It is looking very stable right now though. :)

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:07 pm

(Triple post bump, but justified.)

Let's keep you folks a bit up-to-date on the info. ;)

What's the reason it's still not open? We keep running into minor hiccups here and there with stuff in logfiles that rarely shows up. We're ironing out these last issues while it's running, but I must say that despite these issues it's running very smooth at the moment and most of the errors are now being dealt with as they should (put the erroneous logs aside instead of crashing every time it tries to parse them).

The current roadmap tells me that we're close to release, and if Dedwinia is released there's a fairly high chance the Ladder will be launched alongside it. If it happens to be that neither of the proper templates is finished by then (I have several people telling me they're working on templates but of course they have other stuff to do as well) that doesn't matter too much, I can always add the template later on. ;)

Before I get questions: the data currently indexed will be pruned when the ladder is properly launched, everyone will start from scratch.

EDIT: Updated screenshot to show the new, improved graphs.

Jelco

PS: If anyone has any further suggestions concerning the stats shown in the above screenshot, please mention them here. This of course includes suggestions about new kinds of stats.
Last edited by jelco on Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:15 pm

jelco wrote:Before I get questions: the data currently indexed will be pruned when the ladder is properly launched, everyone will start from scratch.
Waaaaa! :( :( :(

Well, at least that will get rid of Black Friday.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:24 pm

So, after a lot of testing and a lot of fixing and a lot of cursing accompanying the previous two, I deem the ladder worthy of release. It has been more than three months since I coded the first line and I'm pretty proud of the finished product. :)

There is just one thing holding back the release right now: the Blitzkrieg scores Dedwinia currently sends to the Ladder are not useful for determining the winner in a match. Several matches have been incorrectly noted as tied on the Ladder because it is supplied the wrong information. The moment I get word that the needed changes have been made, you can expect an announcement about the time the Ladder will go live. ;)

Jelco
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:27 pm

Do you have the event logs of the faulty blitzkrieg maps? Dedwinia SHOULD make sure the winner ends up with the most points, even if the scores sent don't agree with that.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:16 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:Do you have the event logs of the faulty blitzkrieg maps? Dedwinia SHOULD make sure the winner ends up with the most points, even if the scores sent don't agree with that.

Bert, I'm pretty sure Jelco has talked to Introversion and is working on correcting the problem (apparently the scores sent are not what the game uses internally to work out who wins).

I'll see if I can find the two games I've been in that have been a problem.

http://www.multiwinia-ladder.net/viewmatch.php?m=1265
http://www.multiwinia-ladder.net/viewmatch.php?m=2677
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:43 pm

Yes, yes :) My point was that even if the clients send irrelevant scores, the server should not log the raw scores, but give the one marked as the winner by the clients (there's a separate data item for that) more points than the others. Apparently, that doesn't work :) Turns out I was doing things a in an a lot more complicated way than the problem called for, and messed it up. I'll be uploading a fixed version soon.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:40 pm

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT TIME!

With bert having fixed the Blitzkrieg scores issue this afternoon, it is definitive. Tonight at midnight GMT the Ladder is going live for you all to admire. ;) Sure, it will have a crappy template for now, but the functionality is there and that's all that matters at the moment. The template will probably get an upgrade in the upcoming weeks anyway.

*rushed final preparations mode*

Jelco
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:42 pm

zing!
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:46 pm

Hooray!
skull13
level3
level3

Postby skull13 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:10 am

Yay!

EDIT: AAAAAAAAAAAAA! THATS IN AN HOUR! *Runs to play*
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:13 am

Stats will be reset on the official launch. ;)
skull13
level3
level3

Postby skull13 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:15 am

I know that, but if I want people to not know that I suck at this game, I'd better practice and get good at it in the next 45 MINUTES?!?! AAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Mods and Maps”