Menu navigation keys

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

patto
level1
level1

Menu navigation keys

Postby patto » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:21 am

It'd be great if Esc made you go back a menu and Enter went forward.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:37 am

If I were you I would crawl into a corner and hide, as you are probably about to be flamed. This used to be in the game, but was removed as it conflicted with the chatting in the lobby.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:57 am

Why would he be flamed. It's a good idea.

Unfortunately, it conflicts with the whole press enter to chat thing.
patto
level1
level1

Postby patto » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:35 pm

well the obvious thing to do would be to disable Enter as a navigation key when in the chat screen.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:55 pm

elexis wrote:If I were you I would crawl into a corner and hide, as you are probably about to be flamed. This used to be in the game, but was removed as it conflicted with the chatting in the lobby.

You are an idiot.

As to the topic of this thread, I agree that it would be nice if you could use the keyboard to navigate the menus. I suggest [SPACE] to go forward, [ESC] to go back, and WASD or the arrow keys to select menu options. This scheme has the advantage of not interfering with chat (and [ESC] can also be used to exit chat!).

xander
MarvintheParanoidAndroid
level3
level3

Postby MarvintheParanoidAndroid » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:51 pm

xander wrote:As to the topic of this thread, I agree that it would be nice if you could use the keyboard to navigate the menus. I suggest [SPACE] to go forward, [ESC] to go back, and WASD or the arrow keys to select menu options. This scheme has the advantage of not interfering with chat (and [ESC] can also be used to exit chat!).

xander

Agreed, although I'd rather that Enter always selected menu options, as while in the lobby it makes more sense to simply select the chat box with the mouse (especially since in-game, Space is de-select so that having it select menu options too would be a little contradictory). And while in-game, obviously just have Enter to select the chat box/send text when playing, and select menu options when in the menu.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:07 pm

I took a few moments of my time to test just how obtrusive it was to have enter navigate the menus as well as select the lobby chat.

The result of this was "not really very obtrusive at all". But it's not ideal, and it's not something I would generally suggest you give to new players, but it's ok if it's what you want.

There was a bug that enter would try to initiate lobby chat on single player, resulting in a crash to desktop, but maybe that's been fixed - I really don't know - obviously that rather complicates using enter as a menu selection method.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:34 pm

I was just saying that this has been mentioned several times before, and I for one was geting annoyed by it. It doesn't mean that don't I support it.
TomCat39
level3
level3

Postby TomCat39 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:16 am

You could have T for chat aka "T"alk, like quite a few FPS games I know.

Then enter could go back to being select menu items or "select" whatever, like most any other program.

But really I don't mine not having enter/esc. I could see how it could or would be desirable for some. It is the common setup for quite a few programs.
fredthedeadhead
level1
level1

Postby fredthedeadhead » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:55 am

xander wrote:I suggest [SPACE] to go forward, [ESC] to go back, and WASD or the arrow keys to select menu options.

Forgot Esc and Space. What about A to go back, D to go forward, and W and S to select menu options? (I think Fable used that?)

Return to “The Future”