STEAM: Amazingly cheap weekend deal

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Viking
level0

STEAM: Amazingly cheap weekend deal

Postby Viking » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:22 pm

This weekends Steam deal is Darwinia + Multiwinia for just $9.99! Although I only found out about this when I logged on. The main steam site appears to be advertising The Ship as this weekends offer. Hmmm.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/1530/

Almost tempted purely for the achievements... But if I do that, I'll need to get Darwinia+ on the 360 as well...
Xocrates
level5
level5

Re: STEAM: Amazingly cheap weekend deal

Postby Xocrates » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:15 pm

Viking wrote:The main steam site appears to be advertising The Ship as this weekends offer. Hmmm.

It's advertising both actually, just not at the same time :P if you refresh the main page a few times it should show up.

However, it seems like Multiwinia has lowered it's price for good. I wonder if that was IV's or Valve's decision.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:17 pm

It would be IV's.

Valve don't really get to chose the pricing of third party titles.

I'll be sure to nag all my friends to buy it, and take advantage of the low price.
Phevnil
level1
level1

Postby Phevnil » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:19 pm

I just bought the game off steam a week ago, if I had waited not only would I have gotten it half price but I also would have goten Darwinia. That's just not fair!
[insert outrageously funny/insightful comment here]
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:40 pm

Phevnil wrote:I just bought the game off steam a week ago, if I had waited not only would I have gotten it half price but I also would have goten Darwinia. That's just not fair!

Always look on the bright side of life...you are supporting IV :D
DoubleFelix
level1
level1

Postby DoubleFelix » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:11 am

But it's also encouraging people to not buy any of their games UNTIL they give deals like this, which would damage future sales.
Also makes early adopters feel ripped off.
Viking
level0

Postby Viking » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:10 am

I certainly don't feel ripped off anyway. Especially as I bought the special edition and already own Darwinia. And hey, even that has gone down in price to £30 now.
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:39 am

Gah.. 3 days after I buy it for a mate's birthday :P

Ah well, it's not like it's big money.
CryingWolf
level1
level1

Postby CryingWolf » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:30 pm

Phevnil wrote:I just bought the game off steam a week ago, if I had waited not only would I have gotten it half price but I also would have goten Darwinia. That's just not fair!

Same here....But I STILL brought it, since I get Darawinia....for like £3-£5, and I aint going to moan about that :D
Vindaloo
level0

Postby Vindaloo » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:20 pm

DoubleFelix wrote:But it's also encouraging people to not buy any of their games UNTIL they give deals like this, which would damage future sales.

Well, it certainly put me off. I wanted to buy Darwinia und probably Multiwinia later on. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Multiwinia was cheaper than the last time I visited. Reading that you can buy both for 10$ is a slap in the face, though. I will not use Steam, so the only way for me is to pay 33$ for both of them. Why should I pay more than three times the price by buying directly from IV? Why pay money for something they are giving away for free anyway? Sadly, that's enough frustration to play something else :cry:
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:02 pm

I feel ripped off :evil: , I'll personely beat every steam user that bought this game for so cheap :twisted: and I'll make them cry, until they won't play anymore!! :x
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:50 pm

Vindaloo: I don't get this. You say you won't buy it on Steam. You don't give reasons, that's OK, there are tons (like, you can't gift it away when you're done with it). But why does it then bother you it's cheaper there? How does the option to buy on Steam that you have, but don't want to take, make the unchanged direct purchase worth less?

Yes, I'm perfectly aware of the quite general psychological principles at work in situations such as this. That doesn't mean I can't try to fight them.
Vindaloo
level0

Postby Vindaloo » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:59 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:Vindaloo: I don't get this. You say you won't buy it on Steam. You don't give reasons, that's OK, there are tons (like, you can't gift it away when you're done with it).

I didn't want to start the usual rant against Steam-like system :) My main reason is that I don't want to be at the mercy of their DRM; if they shut down their DRM server my games stop working. There are also privacy concerns. I don't want a company to track what I play and, when I play.

bert_the_turtle wrote:But why does it then bother you it's cheaper there? How does the option to buy on Steam that you have, but don't want to take, make the unchanged direct purchase worth less?

It feels like these games aren't worth the price they are asking for on their site. Why pay more for something that's free with a product that costs even less? So I have the choice between paying 3 times the price or submit to a DRM system that I resent. I am easily annoyed by the fact that (potentially :lol:) paying customers get punished most by DRM once again.

bert_the_turtle wrote:Yes, I'm perfectly aware of the quite general psychological principles at work in situations such as this. That doesn't mean I can't try to fight them.

If getting the game is already this frustrating, the fun fades, which is sad. Not to mention the fact that DRM locked releases, exclusive deals with publishers, less regard for early customers, etc. negate the benefit of indieness :lol:
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:16 pm

Ah, but then you're putting the DRM on the wrong side of the equation. Really, what you should be thinking is this:
You can get MW from IV directly for the price of 20 bucks. OR
You can get MW from Steam for the price of 10 bucks and selling your soul to a DRM system.
You get the same thing (and in the case of MW, it won't stop working when Valve shut down their servers, you can still keep your authkey and use it to unlock IVs demo; plus, both versions will stop working if IV shuts down the metaserver), but for different prices. The only question is, is 10 bucks + DRM less or more than 20 bucks for you?
li5up6
level0

Postby li5up6 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:43 am

I don't knowhow common knowledge this is but inside the mw folder in steam is a file with a SN in it.(called authkey)
Then you can just download the demo and enter the auth key in.
problem solved :)

Return to “General”