Possible Newbie/Intermediate/Advanced Levels?

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Silverwing
level0

Possible Newbie/Intermediate/Advanced Levels?

Postby Silverwing » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:19 am

Okay, I am a complete newbie to the Multiwinian world. I've found that a lot of 'new-ish' people (me included) find it a little bit scary/intimidating/disheartening when they first log on. Chances are your first battle will be against some really good players who have been playing for a long time and move a lot faster than you. A lot of online games such as Multiwinia have different sections for new players (who can play against each other to become intermediate players) and a place for the advanced etc. This means that people play against people of a similar level and so everyone always has fun and fewer new people are put off by always losing and the experienced players always get a challenge.

Anyways, I still love playing Multiwinia, I just find that I play single player a lot to try and get good which prevents me from playing on the multiplayer challenges as much as I would like. This is just an idea so no worries if it is completely not the direction you want to take Multiwinia!
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:39 pm

You could always ask the other players to ease off or give you some tips - I think most would be happy to oblige.

That said, a matchmaking system would be quite nifty, but I doubt there are enough players online at once for it to work really well yet.
Qjet
level1
level1

Postby Qjet » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:49 pm

this is a constant bother in strategy games, and the only cure is to humble yourself and take the loss.

Think about it like this, someone cant win without someone else loosing. SOMEONE has to loose, and if enough people do this, then you at least have fighting competition. :D

typically when you play against someone better then you, you lose because they know what they are always supposed to do, and they use that against you, the real strategy game doesn't come until both players learn these habits. Believe it or not, you will pick these up quickly if you play. Do your best to counter them, and eventually you will run across someone like the old you who you will then maul.

circle of life in a strategy game.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:00 pm

Well, it would be possible to set up servers that only allow each player to play until they won X games.
TheRileyDuo
level1
level1

Postby TheRileyDuo » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:47 am

I bet it requires a server to keep up with everyone's win-loss record, and things like that. IV probably doesn't have that kind of money or manpower to keep a server running, so I'm not complaining. I would like a matchmaking system, though.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:21 am

Qjet wrote:Think about it like this, someone cant win without someone else loosing. SOMEONE has to loose, and if enough people do this, then you at least have fighting competition. :D

At least losing is made fun by retribution.
Tricycle21
level2
level2

Postby Tricycle21 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:23 am

TheRileyDuo wrote:I bet it requires a server to keep up with everyone's win-loss record, and things like that. IV probably doesn't have that kind of money or manpower to keep a server running, so I'm not complaining. I would like a matchmaking system, though.

That reminds me of the ladder
allen
level3
level3

Postby allen » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:40 am

I've been playing since whenever the last group of beta testers started (can't remember when but at least a week before release) and I played a game a week ago with someone who was on his (or her) 3rd or so day and they completely owned me on Barriers to Progress (default settings).

Return to “The Future”