Multiwinia - The board game

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Greendingbat
level1
level1

Postby Greendingbat » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:14 pm

zanzer7 wrote:Mind if I make a digital version of this?

Some of us might not have access to friends in real life :P

wait...
if you made a digital version of this....
wouldn't it be MULTIWINIA :lol: :lol:
neway, yeah works great, i'd add the following rules:
Armor and Turrets can only be harmed by grenades
Armor is not slowed by slopes
(they are in the game, but not by much)
(you can still capture turrets by moving your MWGs into it's space)
Squads have 3 HP and can shoot 3 times as well as throw 1 grenade
The damage section should become it's own phase (for clarity)
the damage section should be split into laser damage, which is applied first (simultaniously)
and grenade damage, applied second (simultaniously)
(this rule is for realism, grenades take longer to go off, and there is more of a chance that they will injure things like Armor and Turrets, which can only be destroyed by grenades)

Some other cool things to add would be some more power ups, such as evilwinians
any ideas on how the AI would work for that?

Also, what did you use to make the map? I think it wouild be possible to use a Battletech map maker for this kind of think as well
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Metro/8727/
Note: risk guys work really well as MWGs and other items like gunturrets

Good job man, this game is (fairly) simple and fun!
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:32 pm

Greendingbat wrote:wait...
if you made a digital version of this....
wouldn't it be MULTIWINIA :lol: :lol:

No, it would be like the Multiwinia Board Game - The Videogame. Don't you just love going Meta ;)

Greendingbat wrote:Armor and Turrets can only be harmed by grenades

This is already in the rules

Greendingbat wrote:Squads have 3 HP and can shoot 3 times as well as throw 1 grenade

Not going to include for the sake of keeping things simple (this could be hard to keep track) and balance

Greendingbat wrote:The damage section should become it's own phase (for clarity)
the damage section should be split into laser damage, which is applied first (simultaniously)
and grenade damage, applied second (simultaniously)
(this rule is for realism, grenades take longer to go off, and there is more of a chance that they will injure things like Armor and Turrets, which can only be destroyed by grenades)

I'll consider this. Currently Laser and grenade damage are taken separately, but in reverse order. You make a good point, but I would like those particular rules to be playtested first.

Greendingbat wrote:Some other cool things to add would be some more power ups, such as evilwinians
any ideas on how the AI would work for that?

The reason there are so few powerups currently, was because a) I wanted to test the overall gameplay first, b) I'm lazy, c) a lot of stuff, particularly stuff like evilwinians, would be nearly impossible to emulate on a board game and still keep the game simple and fun.
Since each powerup requires specific rules, I still think that just using some basic stuff is the best idea.

Greendingbat wrote:Also, what did you use to make the map? I think it wouild be possible to use a Battletech map maker for this kind of think as well

Just some a Grid image and a image editing software. Then I overlapped a texture xander made for the Darwinia-ish look.

Greendingbat wrote:Good job man, this game is (fairly) simple and fun!

Thanks
Greendingbat
level1
level1

Postby Greendingbat » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:00 am

I see your point(s)
However...
fun and complexity aren't mutually exclusive
I see why you are trying to keep it simple, however
please excuse my not-having-read-the-rulesishnis
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:14 am

MrBunsy wrote:Ta-da. No game yet though, just an editor :P

Quite nice! Although an editor is a bit less than an actual game. :P

Look, I made subversion!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying this out!
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:02 pm

No grenades, officers, powerups, decent animations or hill captures yet, but you can move the darwinians about, capture spawns and get them to fight!

GUI still sucks and path highlighting needs optimising badly. One thing at a time though.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:26 pm

It's starting to look quite good. Thumbs up!
Greendingbat
level1
level1

Postby Greendingbat » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:16 pm

Just so you don't need to re-invent the wheel, there are already several hex-based editors out there
for games such as battletech, and they support graphics editing, so you can make tile sets that look like
multiwinia
for introducing into the game, you could have the game read the file of the map, and just use that
this is an idea, i'm not quite sure how it would work in implementation
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:57 pm

Bit late for that - the basic framework is mostly all there. All (hah) I've got left is adding units and powerups and integrate the game to the AJAX multiplayer system. The hexagon framework and some of the darwinian stuff had already been written for other projects though.

Besides, I doubt there's anything out there in javascript which would do this :P
00Davo
level2
level2

Re: Multiwinia - The board game

Postby 00Davo » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:54 pm

Xocrates wrote:- Capturing Spawn points:

To capture a Spawn Point, move at least a Multiwinian on top of it. At the end of the move phase remove the Multiwinian from Play and place a coloured marker on top of it (to indicate ownership).

Why must you remove the Multiwinian? Doesn't he need to stay and operate the Spawn Point? This seems to make sending multiple DGs to the Spawn Point pointless, because they get just as captured with only one DG on them. (IIRC, Spawn Points work better if more DGs are on them)
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:37 pm

00Davo wrote:Why must you remove the Multiwinian? Doesn't he need to stay and operate the Spawn Point?
That would be exactly what is being represented by the counter swap.

This seems to make sending multiple DGs to the Spawn Point pointless, because they get just as captured with only one DG on them.
Only one is removed, meaning extra DGs make it a defended spawn point but other than that, yes it is. So what?

(IIRC, Spawn Points work better if more DGs are on them)
With the severe limitation of units in the board game, there's no point in implelenting that. I don't think it's even true.
00Davo
level2
level2

Postby 00Davo » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:49 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:With the severe limitation of units in the board game, there's no point in implelenting that. I don't think it's even true.

Why, in that case, do Spawn Points have multiple Darwinian slots? The more slots you're controlling, the more DGs you get. Otherwise, you'd just be wasting DGs on the other slots; they can't shoot stuff when they're controlling stuff, remember.
Nimbus
level2
level2

Postby Nimbus » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:20 pm

00Davo wrote:
Mas Tnega wrote:With the severe limitation of units in the board game, there's no point in implelenting that. I don't think it's even true.

Why, in that case, do Spawn Points have multiple Darwinian slots? The more slots you're controlling, the more DGs you get. Otherwise, you'd just be wasting DGs on the other slots; they can't shoot stuff when they're controlling stuff, remember.

So that you don't lose control of the spawn if just one or two MWGs get killed.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:49 pm

Nimbus wrote:
00Davo wrote:

So that you don't lose control of the spawn if just one or two MWGs get killed.
And it doesn't get shut down the instant one other MW just happens to grab an empty slot.
vcordie
level1
level1
Location: [Log Modified] Connection from 128.128.128.128 Established

Postby vcordie » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:47 pm

So, I was interested in this, and how far is this getting along! You guys are probably all busy with other things, and playing multiwinia itself, So I dont mean to seem pushy, But how's it getting along.

TheThiefwinian and TheCrazedDarwinian lives on!
Out There Software

The Bedroom Programmers Next Door
Now with an extra dose of dragons!
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:57 pm

Don't know if zanzer has been attempting anything, but my version is temporarily on hold as I get on top of uni work. However, I have started writing a new ajax multiplayer game system (woo) with a friend, and when that eventually gets finished I plan to add the MWBG to it.

Return to “Mods and Maps”