Least favored gametype?

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

What is the gametype you find you play the least?

Domination
8%
King of the Hill
2%
Capture the Statue
16%
Rocket Riot
21%
Blitzkrieg
32%
Assault
22%

Total votes: 92
Kuth
level4
level4

Least favored gametype?

Postby Kuth » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:07 pm

Just curious to see what forum opinion was on what the least favored/preferred game type was.

This isn't specifically which you play the least, but which you like the least. I.e., which you think needs improvement or you just don't like the rules of that particular gametype.

If I can I'd make a 'favorite type' poll, but I'd like to see what the critics think of MW gametypes first :)

State why, and perhaps what would change for you to like it?

---------

I stated assault. It's just too dependent on power up crates in some levels to succeed as the attacker. I play the odd mission for a challenge, but maps like The Third Kind I have difficulty finishing in the time allotted.
Donat
level1
level1

Postby Donat » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:05 pm

Rocket would have to be my favorite, though good players can keep the game going indefinitely.

I never warmed up to blitz, so it gets my vote. Blitz just feels like its missing something, maybe if the spawns weren't sitting on your spawn area.
Donat
level1
level1

Postby Donat » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:18 pm

Dom is basic, but blitz is something i play much less heh.
MasterBoo
level1
level1

Postby MasterBoo » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:21 pm

Blitz and Capture the Statue. I love Rocket Riot, but I can barely find any games of it :P
Donat
level1
level1

Postby Donat » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:22 pm

MasterBoo wrote:Blitz and Capture the Statue. I love Rocket Riot, but I can barely find any games of it :P

agreed, there needs to be more 4p rocket riot maps.
Nimbus
level2
level2

Postby Nimbus » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:30 pm

I don't like rocket riot very much. I just can't seem to win.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:57 pm

Rocket Riot. Mostly because the game can go on forever and with entropy increasing as crates fall and MWs are scattered there have been cases where I allowed myself to lose simply so that the game could end. Admitedly, this is more limited to 3-4 player maps, but I never warmed much to it even on 2 player.

I'm unsure if I played more than a couple of RR games since the game was released.
estel
level4
level4

Postby estel » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:59 pm

The one 4 player rocket riot I played was great fun. To be fair, the attacking other people thing was minimal; but it ended quickly enough and the mechanic worked well.
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:12 pm

I'm not very fond of Blitz, I thought that Multiwinia is just a little bit slow for what the game type is trying to do. That being said, I've only played it a few times and might warm to it once I stop thinking of it as Onslaught.

On the contrary, Domination is by far my favourite, it's simple and there's nothing else to distract you :P I tend to play most game modes as domination whatever they actually are anyway. (Need I say that Biosphere was my favourite Darwinia level? Discovering domination mode was sheer awesome)
Vergerus
level1
level1

Postby Vergerus » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:19 pm

I haven't played Assault much at all, it just doesn't interest me. I enjoy the gametypes where my opponent and myself start on equal footing and have to find some way of outsmarting one another, whereas assault seems pretty static and linear because of the set up.

I avoid Rocket Riot because the games can be very annoying and can go on for an incredibly long time. It would be nice if the fighting was more to do with control/denial of the solar panels rather than assaults against fueled rockets knocking people back to square one over and over. It seems easier to wreck progress at the rocket than actually out play somebody in the field.

Dom/KotH/CtS I find very enjoyable. Probably the latter two more than domination because of the extra layer of complexity but a straight up domination battle can still be great.

Blitzkrieg I don't play much because it appears to be the least popular game type and most hosted matches are one of the other five types. I like it though and would definitely like to play it more and I don't understand why it is unpopular.
allen
level3
level3

Postby allen » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:29 pm

rocket riot 4 people is kinda frustrating for me...I can never get into it. Too much stuff to pay attention to, since most maps are really big.

koth/dom/blitz are my favorite.
assault is fun in small doses, and especially with co-op

capture the statue is fun but sometimes overwhelming but not as frustrating as rocket riot. so yeah I voted for rocket riot
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:15 am

My vote goes to Domination. Like jelco says, too basic, and (modulo interference from crates) it is decided in the first 30 seconds in the race to the free spawnpoints. At least, it seems that way :)

During the beta, I'd have said Rocket Riot, because it seemed to be just a modified version of KOTH with some added obscure mechanics. Now, I quite like it; not much beats the tension during the launch coutdown.

I'd say the Assault maps will all get some editing later on when we developed different tactics. Things have already evolved quite a bit since the beta days (I don't remember seing that many suicide Armours). With the currently played tactics, some maps are clearly better than others; for those who don't like it yet, I recommend Beneath the Baleful Eye, The Woeful Plateau, The Hard Way (a bit too easy for the attackers) and Fort Zulu (although there, it's really hard to get your first foot in). The Third Kind is also great if the attacker knows the shortcuts.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Re: Least favored gametype?

Postby Phelanpt » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:22 am

What is the gametype you find you play the least?

Kuth wrote:This isn't specifically which you play the least, but which you like the least. I.e., which you think needs improvement or you just don't like the rules of that particular gametype.

Just thought I'd point out that these are different questions. Decide which you want to ask. :P

I don't have one I like the least, but the ones I've been playing less are Blitzkrieg and Domination.
No particular reason, though.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:33 am

Assault. At this point, I find it unbalanced and fairly pointless - on the maps where I can win, I can win against anybody following the same tactic - and on defense, there is just about no action required to defend successfully on most maps, just have to dump blocking airstrikes in the right place. I don't think Multiwinia has the depth required to pull off a full attack/defend gamemode... other RTSs manage it because of the huge array of units available, but I think Multiwinia is much more suited to the other 5 incredibly fun modes.
Hertston
level1
level1

Postby Hertston » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:39 am

Assault; for exactly the same reasons as Pox.

Return to “General”