proof of tests

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

hibbs
level2
level2

proof of tests

Postby hibbs » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:34 pm

Hi all, i was fiddling around with the multiwinia data files, and i decided to make a new map. it's just a basic deathmatch map with only 2 players....

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

i hope the images load, i got pwned by my own map....... :oops: although there is some problems the cpu doesn't make armies it works. if anyone's intrested i'll tell how i made it. i just wanted to see if a mod was possible without an editor, in the release. [/img]
Last edited by hibbs on Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:37 pm

gotta take the /s off after the jpg bit

Otherwise the images work.

Anyway! Yeah it's perfectly possible to make your own levels either by text editing, or mixing and matching bits from Darwinia into levels. It's probably not too great an idea, but not doing it is stifling creativity and enthusiasm... so carry on!
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
hibbs
level2
level2

Postby hibbs » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:55 pm

actually i just wanted to see if it was possible, but thanks for the comment. :) is there a way to make it to where it's not sticking out so bad in the menu? no pic and no title. not good for a map.....
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:08 pm

I'm not sure if titles are possible, but I'm pretty sure a thumbnail is. If you could send me the map, I could have a go.

Hehe, I just want to use the map because I can't make my own.
hibbs
level2
level2

Postby hibbs » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:18 pm

if you want the map you could just ask. heck i'll give it to anybody. i'd kinda like to see it on a multiplayer run.
skull13
level3
level3

Postby skull13 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:13 pm

Of course you realize that unless you give it to EVERYONE who plays EVER, you can't use it online.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:22 pm

hibbs wrote:

if you want the map you could just ask. heck i'll give it to anybody. i'd kinda like to see it on a multiplayer run.

I expect it would work, as it uses a hash of the map data to find out what maps a server is running. Trycycle is running a custom map now and it says Unknown map, but if I were to ALSO have that map, it would probably recognize it.

Also, I just created my own little test map. Single player works great (although I failed at putting the buildings in the right place). :P

I could test to see if multiplayer works. Shall we? Email me a map to [myusername]@gmail.com :)

BTW, I also worked out how to get level names working, but it requires the editing of the language file.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:05 pm

I can tell you pretty much everything and anything to do with this (Been there, done that) if you actually have any questions, otherwise I'll leave you guys to work it out.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:28 pm

I'm slowly getting used to the map making aspect. It isn't that hard. Just annoying placing buildings by hand in the text file.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:49 pm

Then don't? It's much easier to take the level apart, santitise the MW buildings, edit things with Darwinia, and move them back. Unless you'd just start from the Darwinia editor in the first place.

At least I guess it is if you're me.
Donat
level1
level1

Postby Donat » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:52 pm

Interesting... I think i'll give this a go. Thought it would be easier if there was a map editor (released) for multiwinina. But i understand things take time.

To all those making maps, make some 4player rocket riot! only one map isn't enough :P
NukeLord
level4
level4

Postby NukeLord » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:58 pm

RabidZombie wrote:I'm slowly getting used to the map making aspect. It isn't that hard. Just annoying placing buildings by hand in the text file.
If you kept beta version .20 you can use the map editor from that, which is what I'm currently using to make 'my' map. Obviously this doesn't help regular players who want to do this.
Last edited by NukeLord on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:20 pm

lol, yeah well, hopefully custom map support, the editor, et all will be coming within a few weeks.

In the mean time you can, with a little tweaking, make use of the Darwinia map editor to create levels, and finish them off with a text editor. However, if some of the strings in english.txt are to be believed, the multiwinia editor may be experiencing some rennovations so, along with everything else, waiting for the editor may be somewhat more convinient for a lot of people.
Orange Soda
level2
level2

Postby Orange Soda » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:27 pm

When can we expect IV to show us some love (in the form of a map editor).

I also have the old beta client with the map editor, but I don't see much point in making maps if I can't play them online.
hibbs
level2
level2

Postby hibbs » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:28 pm

i'm hopeing for an editor too, i'm using darwinia to make landscape, put basic buildings. then make text editor do the rest. (although you can make working DOM maps in the darwinia Editor alone) (put some lights though or you won't see anything except the MW's, and the shore.) it would be good to have an editor in the game though. but yes as i said i'll give it to anyone. we could use a site to host the maps for now. i wouldn't mind volunteering my site it's kinda useless right now, it'd give me a good reason to revive it.

Return to “General”