single player storyline

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

raidensnake
level1
level1

single player storyline

Postby raidensnake » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:58 pm

you guys should put a single player storyline in explaining the events after darwinia or (insurrection mod). it would be sweet.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:06 am

Well, I'm sure the mapping/modding capabilities in the future will more than allow for community-created storylines.

We might even try and work together with Introversion to create an 'official' unofficial follow-up to Darwinia, who knows?

For the (hopefully short) time being, though, you'll have to wait. Or hack the files in notepad.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:38 am

WHATWHY?
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:13 am

zanzer7 wrote:Well, I'm sure the mapping/modding capabilities in the future will more than allow for community-created storylines.

Not me; this would need developer support to get off of the ground (new game modes) and we have no idea how netcode sanitised a lot of the content is that would be required to do a lot of these things. So far, I don't think they've shown any interest in this, although maybe they will do in the future.

Without additional support, gameplay is once again limited to the game modes shipped with the game, which in turn completely shuts off many options for things like this.
mmaestro
level1
level1

Postby mmaestro » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:13 pm

I don't think it's completely shut out. This could be implemented by allowing you to mix game modes within a "folder," and scripted events. You could put the plot in the map description, put your maps in order for the plot, and just have people play things out. Depending on how much can be scripted, you could put a semblance of a plot together using the existing game modes. It would be imperfect but it would be relatively quick for IV to implement. Since single player isn't the focus of the game, I suspect something like that is probably of the order of what might be accommodated, rather than a fully realized single player mode.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:18 pm

mmaestro wrote:I don't think it's completely shut out. This could be implemented by allowing you to mix game modes within a "folder," and scripted events. You could put the plot in the map description, put your maps in order for the plot, and just have people play things out. Depending on how much can be scripted, you could put a semblance of a plot together using the existing game modes. It would be imperfect but it would be relatively quick for IV to implement. Since single player isn't the focus of the game, I suspect something like that is probably of the order of what might be accommodated, rather than a fully realized single player mode.

So, something like Darwinia mods? :P

I don't think it would be quick to implement. Probably quicker than a Darwinia mod, but still...
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:36 pm

Perhaps there wouldn't be a story desired for multiwinia if Darwinia didn't have a story to begin with ;)

I don't hear anyone wanting DEFCON to have a story/plot behind it.
mmaestro
level1
level1

Postby mmaestro » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:11 pm

Phelanpt wrote:I don't think it would be quick to implement. Probably quicker than a Darwinia mod, but still...

Well, I'm trying to come up with something that would be a minimal amount of work for the IV guys - I figure if we can do that, there's more chance we'll see it. My suggestion uses the existing game modes, doesn't require any additional method to string the levels together over and above the creation of an addional "folder," and the scripting suggestion is something that could probably be treated as optional. I think just using existing game modes, with control of spawning/reinforcements and initial DG placement, items existing at the start of levels, possibly restricting crates (nuclear strikes, for instance, probably wouldn't fit in with a single player campaign) and such would probably give us what we need for a passable campaign. Simply dropping the levels into a folder with the descriptions telling the story means IV don't need to worry about any sort of programming to string them together - Darwinia didn't carry any assets over from level to level except your tech, and that won't exist in this idea, so I don't see why it would be necessary to add in any other way to progress. People could skip levels if they wanted to, but so what?
St!gar
level1
level1

Postby St!gar » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:05 pm

I'd rather have the devs continually release little tidbits of clues and information about the backstory the way they're already doing in the map-descriptions. Perhaps they could release the odd map-pack the way Team Fortress 2 and Unreal Tournament 3 does? (They'd probably include further clues in those map-descriptions.)

Return to “The Future”