PLEASE add ability to change keyboard controls!

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

DoubleFelix
level1
level1

PLEASE add ability to change keyboard controls!

Postby DoubleFelix » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:56 pm

I use the Dvorak keyboard layout, and thus the WASD keys are pretty much useless for doing anything together. I'd use the arrow keys, but this makes deselecting things and using tab very difficult. Is there any way you could change it to detect keys based on position rather than letter, or allow us to change key setup manually? Changing layouts every time I want to switch between playing and chat is INCREDIBLY cumbersome.
Arrowhead
level1
level1

Postby Arrowhead » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:36 pm

I agree. I'm the kind of guy who likes to change keys around in all my games including Darwinia. Since 1997, I've gotten used to using my personal taylored QWEA keys instead. :)
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:35 am

In most FPS I play, I always reassign 's' to 'X', since I'd like to have fingers on both.

The only problem I've been having now is when trying to hit 'tab' I hit 'capslock' instead. Maybe changing that key to 'Q' might work?
DoubleFelix
level1
level1

Postby DoubleFelix » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:00 am

jelco the galactaboy wrote:I can understand your pain, Dvorak for gaming is awkward, hehe. (Believe me, I've tried it.)

The info you're looking for is mostly over here. While adressing an Azerty keyboard rather than Dvorak in that topic, you can follow the instructions given in that post - i.e. download the file to the appropriate directory, and change your keys where needed. I think this is all you need to do. ;)

Jelco

Thank you very much, as that is incredibly useful... but how do you bind keys like ',. ? those are where some of the main controls are.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:03 am

I'm not sure, actually. However, my best guess is that it uses similar codes as Darwinia, so I'll jump on my main PC in a little bit and cycle through all the crazy keys like - = etc and report back what it made of them. I tested with 1.42 Darwinia, and it was crazy as hell, it reported - and = as COMMA and COLON, so I don't think it's trustworthy just yet.

Watch this space (or anyone else can help!)
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
DoubleFelix
level1
level1

Postby DoubleFelix » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:46 am

COMMA would appear to represent the 'minus' key, but that is the only connection I've been able to make. APOSTROPHE and PERIOD don't seem to match up to anything, and MINUS (and -) didn't match up to period. :(
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:21 am

I did work out a bunch of these with Darwinia in the end;

The GoldFish wrote:How do I bind to keys like - and = and '?

Short answer is, don't. A lot of these keys simply don't work due to some crazy input handler that Xwinia uses. Get the Darwinia Demo and this should let you work rebind your controls. Use the commands it thinks you're entering in input_preferences or your keyboards file to attach input to these keys. For example, it believes - is COMMA and = is COLON, ] is { and ` is }. , is =, . is -, and / is ., # is \ and other such insanity if you can find a key to check. Many other keys like these, like [, don't work at all and are referred to as unknown by pre 1.5 Darwinia (Darwinia shares its input handler with Multiwinia, apparently) - Darwinia 1.5.X refuses to acknowledge these keys at all, and they may be unusable.

But I couldn't find this topic again so couldn't post about it ;-; - I made a new topic about how to change controls full of the collective information I've seen on the issue here. I think the above is right anyway... the Y part of X is Y is the way 1.5.X Darwinia put it, so I assume that's what will work in keyboards/input_prefs.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
DoubleFelix
level1
level1

Postby DoubleFelix » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:17 am

The GoldFish wrote:I did work out a bunch of these with Darwinia in the end;

The GoldFish wrote:How do I bind to keys like - and = and '?

Short answer is, don't. A lot of these keys simply don't work due to some crazy input handler that Xwinia uses. Get the Darwinia Demo and this should let you work rebind your controls. Use the commands it thinks you're entering in input_preferences or your keyboards file to attach input to these keys. For example, it believes - is COMMA and = is COLON, ] is { and ` is }. , is =, . is -, and / is ., # is \ and other such insanity if you can find a key to check. Many other keys like these, like [, don't work at all and are referred to as unknown by pre 1.5 Darwinia (Darwinia shares its input handler with Multiwinia, apparently) - Darwinia 1.5.X refuses to acknowledge these keys at all, and they may be unusable.

But I couldn't find this topic again so couldn't post about it ;-; - I made a new topic about how to change controls full of the collective information I've seen on the issue here. I think the above is right anyway... the Y part of X is Y is the way 1.5.X Darwinia put it, so I assume that's what will work in keyboards/input_prefs.

What do you type in the config for . then? "slash", "forwardslash", "/", and "SLASH" don't work.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:19 am

You're reading it wrong, you want -.
DoubleFelix
level1
level1

Postby DoubleFelix » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:48 am

Okay, the most recent update seems to have broken 'enter' for in-game chat. Anyone know how to add this to the file?
EDIT: This only applies if using a prefs file.

EDIT 2:
Nevermind, found http://forums.introversion.co.uk/multiw ... php?t=1877

Return to “The Future”