multiplayer and connection attempts

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

supersheep
level0

multiplayer and connection attempts

Postby supersheep » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:58 pm

This might just me being cognitively challenged, but...

I can't connect to any multiplayer game. The connection retry counter just goes up and up and my hopes go down and down. Ports 4000 and 4001 are open, and pointed at my machine. No dice.

How are the rest of you early starters finding it?

Additionally - Multiwinia rocks. At least the part I'm able to play.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:46 pm

Well you can always join my games. :P
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
supersheep
level0

Postby supersheep » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:33 pm

Weird. Maybe patching will get it later - it's always like this with NAT firewalls, even though uPnP is supposed to help.

Well, I managed to join one game eventually, and it was great! The game seems a bit laggy in the endgame, I guess cos of the hideously large numbers of little guys moving around.

Awesome, awesome game.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:39 pm

I can tell you I have had problems connecting to and hosting Defcon games since it came out and yesterday it was the same with MW...I could hardly connect to any games and nobody was able to connect to me.

Today I threw away my BT Home Hub and replaced it with another router...now I can connect to just about anybody and can host.

I believe (though I'm no expert) that the Home Hub, and perhaps some other routers out there, are just a bit funny that way...
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:42 pm

The BT Home Hub is the biggest crap on the sidewalk of the router society I've ever had the misfortune of owning.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:50 pm

Related thread with reply by Chris:

Great game. Absolutely terrible connection problems.

--------

Interesting findings ynbniar. Is it possible to flash/update does BT Home Hub?

(But I have to say that most routers are damn stupid since they lose your settings when updating)
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:53 pm

The hub can be flashed to use various, all equally crap, versions of the official Firmware. Despite using GPL'd code, BT Home Hub haven't released sufficient resources for people to create their own, so I guess we're pretty stuck using the official.

Basically, the BHH is completely useless at forwarding any ports (UPnP included). If you reset it enough times, it sometimes eventually works, and data will get through, but as you can imagine, this is extremely inconvenient. DMZ works, but that isn't suitable for my set up.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:00 pm

I'm convinced the BT Home Hub runs a very restricted NAT no matter what you do...port forwarding, DMZ, nothing improved the frequency of connection for me.

This may be a red herring but nobody could connect to Dedcon when I tried to host a server using the Home Hub...Bert did something to Dedcon related to NAT (he can't remember exactly what :P ) and bingo people could connect to my Dedcon.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:07 pm

I know for a fact it IS possible to get NAT to open slightly, but it seems to be a combination of blind luck and determination.

DMZ is your best bet. It seems to work the most frequently for me (also, make sure that your PC only shows up in the device list once, and that it's set to have a static IP).
N3tRunn3r
level1
level1

Postby N3tRunn3r » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:29 am

i found out if you are getting many attempts in few seconds, the host just closed his room.
i tried it by myself!

i hosted a room, closed it and i saw my own hosted game in the server list. i joined it and got many attempts.
supersheep
level0

Postby supersheep » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:57 am

I see someone already made a more populated thread on the same issue, so let's move discussion over to that.
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/multiw ... php?t=1727

Return to “General”