To all quitters

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

cde
level2
level2

To all quitters

Postby cde » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:14 am

I know there will be times when a connection drops or an emergency takes you away from the game, but please, please don't host unless you are going to stay the course.

I have watched hour long Defcon battles play out on my server after I was shamefully annihilated early on, that's all part of being host. I have also "lost connection" when in the lead (or at least doing better than the host) on everything from Worms to Halo 3, which can't always be network trouble.

It's simple - the game is just out, and we're all going to lose a few times before we get to enjoy a winning streak - let's not mess up the multiplayer experience when that's the main feature of the game.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:23 pm

Yeah, there's nothing you can do to avoid it other than host it yourself or play with people you know... hopefuilly we'll be seeing a few dedwinia servers in a month.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:31 pm

Ragequitting is worthy of a screenshot and telling world "Look everyone! I completely pwned this guy!"

Second game I played online (CTS) I was grabbing nearly all of the crates and had managed to neutralise the enemy in under four minutes. I can't blame him for quitting; that left six minutes of me doing that over and over and over again. The first game (DOM) was only slightly slower and it was a foregone conclusion there too.

(Yeah, right. "First" and "Second". You all believe that.)
Bas
level2
level2

Postby Bas » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:56 pm

When there's more than 1 opponent, and all your spawns are gone, you frequently get powerful powerups to get back at whoever killed you. It's worth staying on for that.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:08 pm

But then you're just sitting there being spiteful for 6 minutes instead of really playing.
Bas
level2
level2

Postby Bas » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:14 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:But then you're just sitting there being spiteful for 6 minutes instead of really playing.

Being spiteful AND pissing people off. Sounds like win to me.
Arrowhead
level1
level1

Postby Arrowhead » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:25 pm

If you see my name hosting a game, have no fear. I'm the kind of guy who takes losses in stride and I sure as hell won't under any circumstance quit before the completion of the game, even if I'm eliminated.

There should be a rather large pop-up warning hosts trying to quit before a game is complete that they risk pissing off their peers and should just let the game complete as a courtesy.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:30 pm

Yeah, the first game I played after release for the pre-orders I was beating the person quite easily. He never said a word in the game even though I talked a bit, and when there was like 2 minutes left he just left and, being the host, closed the server. -_-
Nimbus
level2
level2

Postby Nimbus » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:04 pm

It's a pity the netcode dosn't allow all players to connect to all other players, with the host only being the one who set up the match. That way the game would continue even if the host left.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:09 pm

What PC games do? The only game I know that uses this very set up is Halo 2 and 3 for Xbox 360.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:08 pm

I think GunZ works that way too.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:36 pm

From what I understand about the IV netcode, dynamic server reassaignment is actually really quite possible, as all the clients are smart and really don't rely on the server very much. However since games are so short, I doubt it's a design objective.
Trust
level3
level3

Postby Trust » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:35 pm

I don't quit when I lose. Otherwise, I'd never finish a game.
Aegis Tyra
level1
level1

Postby Aegis Tyra » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:43 pm

:lol:

I've only won two games so far, neither by ragequit though.
I did quit out as a player once, but that was because after 2 hours of Multiwinia,
my laptop touchpad suddenly decided to go walkies up to the top-left corner of my screen
and not come down until I restarted teh game completely.
N3tRunn3r
level1
level1

KEEP COOL

Postby N3tRunn3r » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:15 am

the other issue is:

if a host cannot wait a few mins to get his players into his room and launch a game immedately when he sees a player is joining a slot, you will start with an AI instead of that player/joiner!!
both: you and the host!! each AI for both...

so just wait until the player's name appears in 'his' slot, say hi, and lets go!!!
and yes, that last sentence is mainly for all hosts who cannot wait until someone joins...

at least, that happened too many times....
also the hosts do not give you a chance in anyway to change your color, if you want, if they want to start immediately of course.

-> the game starts before you have entered the server/hosted room.

Return to “General”