Great game. Absolutely terrible connection problems.

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Duckmeister
level1
level1

Great game. Absolutely terrible connection problems.

Postby Duckmeister » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:37 am

I absolutely loved Darwinia. I almost liked it as well as Uplink. Multiwinia, despite being a great recreation, if you might say, of Darwinia, has a major, but not fatal flaw. I have only been able to connect to about 1 game every 20 I try. A couple times I ended up joining this guy's SINGLE PLAYER game! Some problems include:

The inability to connect to 90% of the games hosted.
The "life" that lost or "botched" servers (where the host quit) have on the server list (up to 30 seconds).
The inability to find out your ping against other servers.
The ability to join someone's single player game through the server list.

I know this is sounding a little harsh, so I apologize greatly. I have a lot of respect for what you guys and IV have done (especially Uplink, come on make a sequel!), and I know you guys just released it. I know you guys had a lot of other bugs to deal with in the beta, but I just wanted to get my complaint out along with everyone elses so you guys kinda have an idea of what the problems are.

Granted, these problems are definitely not as bad compared to the actual game, which is one of the best RTSs (RTTs, w/e) in a long time. The way you've done power-ups is EXCELLENT. No one is afraid to grab a crate in fear that it will bring something bad, and the amazing variety in power-ups is AWESOME (getting meteor strike just as the attacking team is moving it's HUGE army on you're base in assault is one of the best moments I've had in a game in a long time).

I will still try the endless connection-failure cycle, just because the few times I played it today, it was so good I wanted more. So thank you for making a great game. But please please please, and you're probably already working on it, but fix the connection bugs, don't worry about the gameplay bugs for a while.

At least these issues aren't as bad as when Micro-Machines V4 launched online. *facepalm*
Hezkore
level0

Postby Hezkore » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:43 am

The singleplayer guy would be me heh...
I haven't actually had any connection problems, except for you joining my singleplayer game all the time >_>
Had lots of fun playing with friends online all day :]
allen
level3
level3

Postby allen » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:10 am

I'm going to come in here and put in my 2cents.

I've never had one problem whatsoever. I have Vista firewall enabled and a router, no ports are forwarded. I'm able to host and join games just fine.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:56 am

Some hosts I have a lot of connection attempts and failures, but I just go back and pick another.
I usually can get a game fast.
Another alternative, is to host your own. If you host it, they will come.
gerbercage
level1
level1

Postby gerbercage » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:40 am

you all stay at EU or US or Asia?
I still considering this game not because of the gameplay(as it had been proven by most player) but I worry about the connection problem. As I live at Asia which most of the time ping to US or EU game server will mostly at 300++ ping, will it very lag for me (or drop out) to play with you all?
Anyone Asia player that had try this game with EU/US player and get good connection?
Hope that someone can answer it so that I can buy the game soon.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:52 am

Like I told you in another thread, we have two members (that i know of) from asia. One plays defcon regularly (wu.j, check the defcon forums for him), and the other was on the beta, though I haven't played against him.

Since it is a valid concern, and posting in other threads might not get much attention, I think you should create a new topic. Something like "EU/US vs Asia: Is there lag?".
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:07 am

I've played many times with a player from Asia without much lag but I'm in Australia so Asia to US/EU is more problematic than Asia to US/EU.
Zeph
level1
level1

Postby Zeph » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:28 am

I've seen quite a few of the same problems.
I've had better luck joining games than 1 in 20, but still find quite a few I can't join.
During gameplay, it's frozen up on my end twice (not completely sure its a connection issue, but it's only happened in multiplayer), and once got a server connection error.
Jonty
level0

Postby Jonty » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:46 am

I was pretty freaked out when I went on singleplayer and ended up joining someone's game. D: I didn't even realise it was multiplayer until one of the other players talked! Whatever causes that (I'm assuming it just starts a local game server and fills it with CPU players normally) it's a pretty big bug. :P
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:44 am

Hello from Introversion.

Firstly, we're sorry to those people having trouble playing our game online.

It's likely you have a restrictive NAT router, which basically means your router doesn't play well with our game. This will affect your ability to join games (it will only work if the host is behind a very permissive type of router) and you probably won't be able to get anyone to join your own hosted games.

The good news is you can fix it one of two ways. You can put your computer into a DMZ (usually by fiddling with the settings on your router) - which means you'll be directly connected to the Internet. Or our preferred way - setting up Port Forwarding. Again you do this by logging in to your router usually. You need to forward ports 4000 and 4001 UDP to your game computer.

You should also disable Firewalls and Virus Checkers, and indeed any internet applications that might be interfering - ICQ, Skype, Bittorret, SugarSync etc. They have all been known to interfere.

And yes, there is a bug in the launch version that allows you to join a single player game :) We will obviously fix that asap.
CXZman
level1
level1

Postby CXZman » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:48 pm

When you say "port 4000" you mean TCP port ?
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:49 pm

No, UDP.
CXZman
level1
level1

Postby CXZman » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:32 pm

4000 AND 4001 are to be UDP ports ? (just to be clear)
Zebreu
level0

Campus network?

Postby Zebreu » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:50 pm

Hey! I'm currently on the campus network (I live in their residences) and I cannot join many games... I think there is no way I can forward port (since I cannot access the router), so is there some solution? It's pretty hard to find a game (just succeeded to enter one after 10 tries).
CXZman
level1
level1

Postby CXZman » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:13 pm

Zebreu : I guess you'd better convince your pals outhere in your LAN to play local. Some of my mates had that problem with Defcon, I guess that's the same problem here.

Jelco : thanks, but I read this sentence, and it wasn't clear, so I asked.

... but now it is.

Return to “General”