Favorite element of the game?

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Kuth
level4
level4

Favorite element of the game?

Postby Kuth » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:35 pm

Now that we have our hands wet with MULTIWINIA! and the complaint threads are starting to arise, how about off-setting them with some appreciation for this thing IV let us play with? Any moments/ things in the game you find your favorite, or made you LoL and loose the game?

I thought the soul-eating trees was a nice touch on the virus, and literally laughed out loud at the DEFCON theme when the nuclear submarines were launched. Nice, IV!
Cabbage
level2
level2

Postby Cabbage » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:05 pm

I pretty much love all the power ups. However, the flame turret will always have a special place in my heart.
I also love the crazy game-altering crates, like infection and virus outbreak, or futurewinians. It's fun to watch both teams lose to some freaky third side.
Nimbus
level2
level2

Postby Nimbus » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:17 pm

Cabbage wrote:I pretty much love all the power ups. However, the flame turret will always have a special place in my heart.
I also love the crazy game-altering crates, like infection and virus outbreak, or futurewinians. It's fun to watch both teams lose to some freaky third side.

I know what you mean. I was just in a 4-way FFA where we all had to team up against the evilinians who have taken a couple of spawn points. It was the funniest thing ever.
Aegis Tyra
level1
level1

Postby Aegis Tyra » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:29 pm

Putting MP aside for a second, the Singleplayer AI is much better than I expected - although I have had a couple of Assault games where one of 2 attacking AIs has just stopped doing anything.
My favourite moment so far in MP was holding back a bunch of flame turrets until my walls had been breached, retreating desperately to the inner sanctum, and dropping three flamers down just in time to toast an entire army of reds.
I also like the Subversion pick-up, which is a nice touch - I like it when developers have such a deep fanbase they can do stuff like that, and most people will actually get it.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:48 pm

I haven't seen the futurewinians yet- though the saucer appeared once, I haven't seen them step out onto land.

The evilwinians were a pleasant surprise, and cost my enemy AI a spawn point or so. I wondered if I'd be teaming up with the AI against them!
nycerine
level1
level1

Postby nycerine » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:51 pm

I love being able to control the turrets. Makes you feel even more into the game.

There's also the close usage of the keyboard which I love. Yes, I'm a keyboard junkie. :D
I don't like it when I get infected with those pesky evil dark things. :) Impossible to get rid off. :p

The rapid speed and movement is also interesting. It drags you into the game, really drags you into it.

However, I love and hate the ants. My emotions for the ants can not really be described.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:55 pm

ANTS!

Oh christ. Ants nests. I HATE THEM.

Except when i can choose where to place them, in which case I love them.
Aegis Tyra
level1
level1

Postby Aegis Tyra » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:08 pm

Despite the fact IGN hate it, I'm actually rather glad of the Crate Weighting, as well.
Although it could use a little toning down - someone (who I won't name) saved up and launched ants, infection,
and a nuke at me all at once. That's too much - practically a game winning strike, against someone
of my immense crapulocity.
Icepick
level5
level5

Re: Favorite element of the game?

Postby Icepick » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:12 pm

Kuth wrote:laughed out loud at the DEFCON theme when the nuclear submarines were launched. Nice, IV!

That's my favorite sound in the entire game.

Anyway, if you want to see something nifty, you should try running the Subversion power-up on a Gun-Turret.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:33 pm

Anyone notice that the turrets come with kill markers? ;)

I scratch my head at ant nests too. It's a good idea, but if you have a nest in your cluster of spawn points (say, some of the 3-way statue capture, which only have those spawn points), then you could potentially say goodbye to winning the game. Dealing with ants takes up most of your darwinian force, which stops you from getting crates to save the day (not to mention the fact that you'd need to land explosives IN YOUR BASE to kill the bastards :\ )

Alzo: IV snuck the companion cube into the game. I had to laugh when I saw it... then I wondered if IV got Valve's permission to use the Cube?
supersheep
level0

Postby supersheep » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:36 pm

Only just discovered you can sit in the turrets! Oh man, that was great, slaying absolutely tons of yellows as they came romping over to my spawn point.

I really, really hate the flying worms from Darwinia - how the hell do you kill them? Darwinians just sit there and happily fire lasers at that which does absolutely bugger all.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:38 pm

You have to kill the soul destroyers with rocket turrets. Sometimes your Rock-winians (Darwinians with Rockets) will shoot up at them. Autogun turrets will also fire at them (and anything flying, for that matter).

Anyone tried to sink the submarines yet?
Arrowhead
level1
level1

Postby Arrowhead » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:18 am

I love this game already so you won't see much whining and crying from me. :)

There's more to this game than meets the eye it seems. Lot's of little surprises. It took me a while to take a break from playing because I kept telling myself, 'ok just one more game!' It's really fun, fast, and it keeps you busy. A very non-tedious thoughtful kind of busy, especially when you've got multiple fronts to deal with. ;)

My favorite moment from today was seeing the Defcon nuke subs make an appearance and launching nukes everywhere. How cool is that!?

Anyways, I'm very pleased with this product and hope to see all of the minor bugs ironed out so that everyone else can be very pleased with this product.

Again, great work Introversion!
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:36 am

Kuth wrote:Anyone tried to sink the submarines yet?

I did, managed to send nukes their way, but they just sat there and took it. Lots of souls left them to go to the soul repository, though.
Crimson
level1
level1

Re: Favorite element of the game?

Postby Crimson » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:00 am

Kuth wrote:Anyway, if you want to see something nifty, you should try running the Subversion power-up on a Gun-Turret.

Yeah, It was the best moment of my day when I converted an Entire Attacking Team's Wave on Assault to My side using that combination.

Return to “General”