Map Editor

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

NukeLord
level4
level4

Map Editor

Postby NukeLord » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:02 pm

Will there be a map editor released to the players for Multiwinia? Or is there some way to enable an editor currently built into the game?

Ignoring anything that beta testers may or may not have access to.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:07 pm

For the record, I expect to have a modlist-esque website up in time for the first map/mod release.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:19 pm

I'd assume that, since darwinia had an editor, and MW's maps are very similar, that eventually there will be one.
Since there were a lot of complaints about darwinia's editor, maybe they wanted to work on it longer.
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:02 pm

There will be a Map Editor released, yes. We wanted to get the entire system in place rather than releasing an editor and having people then complain about the complication in installing the maps, etc, so we held off. It is coming though, you can be sure of that!
skull13
level3
level3

Postby skull13 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:34 am

Yehy!
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:31 am

Since evil trees are already pre-placed on some maps, will some powerups be permanent and on the map at statup? (i.e., anthills as a terrain feature like trees?)

Also, WEATHER! Kudos to IV for adding in lightning bolts of death and tornadoes. Will there be other forms of Darwinia "weather" that we can use for maps, or are they a feature of code above and beyond the intended map editor?
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:27 am

From experience with Darwinia and such like, the following things are likely;

a) The weather systems will be limited to what you can see in the IV levels. You'll probably be able to include the flags which turn these on and off with any level you create (and possibly even combine them in new wierd ways)

b) Odds are, you'll be able to include ants nests, evil trees, power ups, viral units, additional starting troops and other random buildings (maybe even some spam, not that you'd probably want to, spam is hardcoded to only attack certain teams last I checked) in your maps via buildings and instant units, which are apparently still part of the map structure - however, these things may result in sync errors because they might not have had their behavoir sanitised to work with Multiwinia, so, that might not be so hot. Some things may also be auto filtered out, just as Darwinia used to filter out instant units that were outside of it's team range.

I should point out then, that there is the POSSIBILITY for an awesome new game mode, where all the players could team up to fight off the Evilwinians and Futurewinians, in a sort of Quake 3 style cooperative demi-campaign.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!

Return to “The Future”