Linux on launch?

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:25 am

I think they'll become public once the NDA lifts, which is 12 months from when it began I believe. Either that or <NDA>.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:38 am

OK well;

How well do Darwinia 1.42 and 1.5.X run in wine on linux vs natively?

In theory, MW should perform similarly to whichever renderer IV are using for MW (which obviously I know but can't divulge).

The only problem that may be experienced is being unable to bind the sockets necessery for employing the interweb side of things - I imagine if defcon works in wine then Multiwinia might too. So... does Defcon work in Wine?

Hup two, linux users!
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:02 am

Well, I just attempted to wine defcon, and it crashed on attempting to view the lobby screen... didn't bother checking the backtrace for what went wrong.
I do know whether the Multiwinia netcode works in wine or not, but I'll stay on the safe side and not disclose that.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:58 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:If I remember correctly from the Defcon procedure, the forums became public quickly after launch. Not directly after launch - I even remember sending a mail or PM to Chris saying the Tournament forums were still closed which weren't needed anymore - but soon enough. Basically the NDA is only about limiting the release of information while the game is in development, as soon as the game is released there is no reason people shouldn't be allowed to read it - it's not important which bugs were in the beta versions and screenshots can be made by players as soon as they have the game themselves.

Jelco

Just to remind you that our beta NDAs last for a year from the date we were issued them. Ergo I'd want our posts to be archived until the last NDA expires, however the history of beta testing does not show this; The Darwinia beta forum was, as far as I can tell, deleted when it was finished. The Defcon forums were also given the same treatment. One does not expect anything unique this time around.

NeoThermic
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:10 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:The Darwinia beta forum was, as far as I can tell, deleted when it was finished. The Defcon forums were also given the same treatment.

Wha? Deleted you say? ;)

Jelco

Ha, I'm blind. Hell, now that I see it, I even remember moving it about. Plus, in theory, it's been well over a year since any of us signed NDAs for that stuff. I ponder if it should be made open...

NeoThermic
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:12 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:The Darwinia beta forum was, as far as I can tell, deleted when it was finished. The Defcon forums were also given the same treatment.

Wha? Deleted you say? ;)

Jelco

Ha, I'm blind. Hell, now that I see it, I even remember moving it about. Plus, in theory, it's been well over a year since any of us signed NDAs for that stuff. I ponder if it should be made open...

NeoThermic

But it already is open and has been for ages.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:13 pm

I think NeoThermic is confused. :P
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:14 pm

The Darwinia one is closed though.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:14 pm

Montyphy wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:

Wha? Deleted you say? ;)

Jelco

NeoThermic

But it already is open and has been for ages.

I have Infectious mononucleosis (and thus a swollen spleen!). That's my excuse!

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:59 pm

NeoThermic wrote:I have Infectious mononucleosis (and thus a swollen spleen!). That's my excuse!

NeoThermic

Really? You know, you only get that by promiscuously "sucking face," you whore. :P

In all seriousness, get better!

xander
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:53 pm

I would assume that the NDA lasts for a year from signing or, until we are released from it by IV.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:12 am

xander wrote:Really? You know, you only get that by promiscuously "sucking face," you whore. :P

Or not sleeping enough, as a friend of mine recently discovered. At first he thought he had some awkward acne, but no, that wasn't it. :P

Jelco

Note to self: more sleep. :shock:

How long did he sleep per day/week?

NeoThermic, hope you get well soon. :)
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:50 am

xander wrote:Really? You know, you only get that by promiscuously "sucking face," you whore. :P

In all seriousness, get better!

Depending on how long I've had it, it could really have been from one of two girls. Hopefully this is towards the end of the illness, as I do not want a swollen spleen for the next two months.

The GoldFish wrote:I would assume that the NDA lasts for a year from signing or, until we are released from it by IV.

Last I checked, the NDAs from IV do not contain any release clauses out side of expiration, meaning that in legal terms we can't be released from the NDA until it expires.

NeoThermic
ewanm
level3
level3

Postby ewanm » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:16 pm

Yes, but it does say we can mention anything IV have chosen to make public. So, if IV did choose to make the whole beta forums public, then we are effectively released from it.
kryptic
level1
level1

Postby kryptic » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:25 am

ewanm wrote:Yes, but it does say we can mention anything IV have chosen to make public. So, if IV did choose to make the whole beta forums public, then we are effectively released from it.

The whole point of discussion is whether or not the NDA allows the forums to become public or not. :P

Jelco

Introversion itself isn't gagged by the NDA so opening the beta forums would not be a violation of anything.
So at this point its all semantics but once/if Introversion opens the beta forum, all NDA'd info becomes public therefore the NDA is essentially released.

Return to “General”