[MOD] DEFCON: The WarGames mod

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:15 pm

Yeah, I should have been more clearer. I wasn't meaning to suggest RAID5 as a subsitute for backups but rather suggesting it as one of many possible safe guards against a single hard drive failing between backups.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:18 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
Montyphy wrote:Consider using physical media (DVDRs) or RAID5 if you're really worried about losing data from hard drive failure

No, no, no, no, no! RAID is not a substitute for backup! (I.E, you should of said "[...] physical media and RAID5 [...]") Even if you're running RAID5 (or even spiffy with RAID5+0), you will still want to do a backup that makes it possible for the data to exist somewhere else rather than inside the PC. What happens if your PSU dies and takes out all your HDs? What happens if your house is struck by lightning? (and note to those who say "ahh, I've got a UPS/surge protector", your computer can still die if the router or other network equipment isn't on a UPS/surge protector, as voltage can and will travel along the network).

I've always suggested to people to get some decent backup software that'll allow incremental backups. Do a full backup as soon as they install the software, and then at the end of each week, do a incremental backup. (Also make sure the software you're getting isn't a propriety backup format, as you might wish to restore the data by copying from the backup medium by hand).

If you can't afford to do backups like this, then consider setting up a CVS/SVN repository on a computer you own outside of your house, and putting anything critical (like your work, Defcon mods, etc, etc) in the repository. You also will have the advantage of change tracking and the ability to revert to earlier versions if something goes wrong. :)

NeoThermic

Or you could just get a Mac ;)

/me ducks the incoming hail of borked hard drives.

xander
glcanon
level1
level1

Bomber

Postby glcanon » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:19 pm

King Al (and he IS king, BTW) is helping me try to recover lost data from the old computer. This BartPE isn't something a noob like myself can figure out intuitively.

Anyway, found my bomber icon.

Still looking though. Hopefully I'll be able to recover at least some data from my old computer.

BTW, how about I take a screwdriver & hammer to the harddrives of all you Mac users, then tell me your Mac still functions normally. I wont believe it. I lost power 5 or 6 times in last 24 hrs, arg, nothing is ever easy.

All for now
Montyphy
level5
level5

Re: Bomber

Postby Montyphy » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:25 pm

glcanon wrote:BTW, how about I take a screwdriver & hammer to the harddrives of all you Mac users, then tell me your Mac still functions normally. I wont believe it. I lost power 5 or 6 times in last 24 hrs, arg, nothing is ever easy.

My Mac regenerates itself. They say it could even survive a N2 mine. :P
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:28 pm

Although when talking about Macs, survive is a relative term. Even a corpse can survive being shot.
JohnnyFish
level0

Postby JohnnyFish » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:50 pm

BrianBlessed wrote:Although when talking about Macs, survive is a relative term. Even a corpse can survive being shot.

QFTW
jrbreen
level2
level2

Postby jrbreen » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:22 pm

BrianBlessed wrote:Although when talking about Macs, survive is a relative term. Even a corpse can survive being shot.

*awards medal*
nameghino
level1
level1

Postby nameghino » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:22 am

Any word on what's going on with this mod? =)
Weps
level3
level3

Postby Weps » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:09 am

I ripped the 'launch detected' effect from war games. And altered it some.

I tried to convert it to ogg as well, but it seems it only plays correct after modifying the sounds.txt and making it mono :(

If someone can create an ogg that plays correct without modifiying the sounds.txt, please do so !

I'm using it at the moment and it definitly stands out (I sometimes dont even notice the default launch alert sound).
Last edited by Weps on Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:37 am

How do you use the sound?
Weps
level3
level3

Postby Weps » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:35 pm

In your defcon folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\defcon) you will have to make a folder named 'data' and within that one a folder named 'sounds'.

Place the sounds.txt file http://home.planet.nl/~plum0029/sounds.txt in defcon\data

Place the ogg file http://home.planet.nl/~plum0029/enemylaunch2.ogg in defcon\data\sounds.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:31 pm

Excellent, works lke a charm. Thanks Weps!
PsychicKid
level2
level2

Postby PsychicKid » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:27 am

I tried using the sound file but it sounds a lot slower and lower pitched ingame. Anyway to fix that?
Weps
level3
level3

Postby Weps » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:17 am

double post ignore
Last edited by Weps on Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weps
level3
level3

Postby Weps » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:17 am

Weps wrote:
I tried to convert it to ogg as well, but it seems it only plays correct after modifying the sounds.txt and making it mono :(

If it still plays slow, even after you placed the sounds.txt I changed (see link above), then I assume you placed it in the wrong folder. If that's all ok too, I can't help you. I don't know what else influences the speed of the sounds being played.

Return to “Mod Projects”