Passive Traces and Servers They Come Across?

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

midazwhale
level0

Passive Traces and Servers They Come Across?

Postby midazwhale » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:19 pm

I've been caught multiple times by Passive Traces (because I had no idea about them... at all...) And I was wondering if the Passive Traces set out by banks, and other places will be able to trace me even if I bounce through a dead server... What I am simply asking is if I can go and destroy a server that I don't use and would probably never use (like the Sample Company servers...) and use it to bounce... Can a Passive Trace go through it? They have no way of interacting with it, because it's offline... But it would make sense if they stopped there and wouldn't be able to go passed... Or does the log on the server after them state that it routed to the server before the dead one? Or does it just not matter at all? I would really like to know about this because in real life... I probably wouldn't even be able to route through it... And does the same thing happen if I route through a person's phone? Or is there some sort of secret log somewhere on that person's phones saying what IP or Phone Address connected to it last?
The Passive Trace is very confusing to me in these places... And if nobody knows... I may have to resort to looking through the base source code for the passive trace code itself...
I don't know much about Passive Traces... But from what i hear, it's a good idea to have your first connection being the InterNIC server so that you can easily delete your bounce logs...

EDIT:
I found out about whether or not a phone system would work with a passive trace... But I still haven't found anything about a shutdown server... What should happen... is that the person tracing me should connect to that server and it would display "The server you called is not available..." Or something like that... But it seems like they still make it through... I'm still not entirely sure...
Last edited by midazwhale on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:48 pm

Supposedly you've typed up words, but all I see is GREEN!!!
midazwhale
level0

Postby midazwhale » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:05 pm

NeatNit wrote:Supposedly you've typed up words, but all I see is GREEN!!!

Better?
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:19 pm

He means you are quite a new player. To be honest this has been answered quite a few times already and a search should reveal this, but since right now I cant be bothered to link the search function, I will tell you. You can be traced through anything, live server, dead server, phone, probably even a dead rat if it had a network cable through it. The traces have ways of making servers talk.
HTCPCP: 418
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:13 am

orillian wrote:He means you are quite a new player. To be honest this has been answered quite a few times already and a search should reveal this, but since right now I cant be bothered to link the search function, I will tell you. You can be traced through anything, live server, dead server, phone, probably even a dead rat if it had a network cable through it. The traces have ways of making servers talk.

Nope. He literally meant that all he saw was green. The original poster's original version of the original post was originally green. He has edited it to remove the color.
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:07 am

I knew that.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:22 pm

I literally was not able to read more than 3 words without getting confused and starting over. It was hell.
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:45 pm

NeatNit wrote:I literally was not able to read more than 3 words without getting confused and starting over. It was hell.

I didn't even bother trying. It's worse than people who make the font size huge.
midazwhale
level0

Postby midazwhale » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:40 pm

MAdMaN wrote:I didn't even bother trying. It's worse than people who make the font size huge.

Sorry, I use the console a lot... and I always change the color to 0A which is Lime Green (0,255,0) Over black...
Basically, my eyes are trained to see that... It's easier for me to read... But it hurts other people's eyes sometimes... I just use it whenever I can...
Again, sorry.
Also... Is there any way to read a log for a phone? I haven't found any... but... I don't know for sure.
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:54 pm

Nope, because there isn't one. Its one rule for the player, and another for the tracers.
midazwhale
level0

Postby midazwhale » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:11 am

orillian wrote:Nope, because there isn't one. Its one rule for the player, and another for the tracers.

Darn... *sigh* Time to Mod! :D
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:25 am

midazwhale wrote:
MAdMaN wrote:I didn't even bother trying. It's worse than people who make the font size huge.

Sorry, I use the console a lot... and I always change the color to 0A which is Lime Green (0,255,0) Over black...
Basically, my eyes are trained to see that... It's easier for me to read... But it hurts other people's eyes sometimes... I just use it whenever I can...

That's a fair argument, but perhaps the slightly blue background is what's making it so terrible. In my work I also use green on black all the time, but it never quite hurt as bad as that did.
midazwhale
level0

Postby midazwhale » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:44 am

NeatNit wrote:That's a fair argument, but perhaps the slightly blue background is what's making it so terrible. In my work I also use green on black all the time, but it never quite hurt as bad as that did.

It didn't hurt my eyes at all... But... Everything I do is Green over Black... I'm running Ubuntu and everything is either green or a shade of black... And on older computers, especially the older ones, I basically change the entire theme to a high-contrast, (0,255,0) over (0,0,0) text and window configuration. My eyes are good at picking up text on a screen, I guess... I have no idea...
I won't do the green thing on here again, though... It's annoying to have people call you an inconsiderate asshole.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:49 am

Hey, no one called you that. Also a good tip for life - don't change the default style on ANY forum. Use BBCode as little as you can. Each forum has its design and style and it's just a bad idea to go against the stream.
midazwhale
level0

Postby midazwhale » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:00 am

Man, that's close enough for me... It doesn't really matter... I do like the game though... Finally got a bank hack to work...

I hacked two banks, and both times I was successful, and both times I got ranked up... From Skilled, to Uber, or something like that... I'm not rehearsed in the rankings... But... When you rank up after a bank hack, does that mean it was successful? Or is there a still a chance of getting caught?

Return to “General”