Changing World map in V1.55

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Zero Tolerance
level0

Changing World map in V1.55

Postby Zero Tolerance » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:39 am

Hello everyone,

The Steam version of Uplink uses a map which makes the white lettering of the names very hard to read.

I remembered I still had a "normal" pre-steam copy of Uplink, so I reinstalled that on my computer.
I also installed Patch 1.55.

After that I took one of the maps I dowloaded ages ago an put the files in "graphics".
Then I started the game and created a new agent.

But no map, yeah, the default one - which is a little bit different from the Steam-version. (a bit more readable)
When I tick the box "defaultmap" and create a new user I see the "small verison" of the map I want to use, however when I click on it it gives me the normal map, with locations on it, which are now in the water.

Help? How do I use another worldmap than the standard one :?:

Greetz, Zero T
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:35 pm

To the best of my knowledge the steam version is not moddable in the same way the standard version is.

Only way to be sure, go into Steamapps, find the Uplink folder, extract graphics.dat to a folder called Graphics in there, and change the world map in it. Not a sure fire way, but it may work.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Zero Tolerance
level0

Postby Zero Tolerance » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:31 pm

Ehm, I was talking about the "normal" version of Uplink.

I tried the Steam version First and then I tried the "normal" version.

I have an official cd version too.

anyway, I take it that the procedure is the same either way.

How do I extract the .dat file? Redshirt.exe doesn't seem to work. (but I do hav an older verision of the .exe)

Greetz, Zero T
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
wlayton27
level0

Postby wlayton27 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:26 am

Found the solution thanks to Rkiver's reply. You can extract those .dat files the same way you extract .zip or .rar files. You may need to rename the file from "graphics.dat" to "graphics.zip" in order to extract it.

For Steam, the two map files that will take effect must be called "worldmaplarge_defcon.tif" and "worldmapsmall_defcon.tif" and must be located in the "uplink/graphics" folder (or the "uplink/mymod" folder if you have chosen a mod named "mymod" in the options menu). The typical mods for the world maps will just be called "worldmaplarge.tif" and "worldmapsmall.tif" and the Steam version of Uplink will not recognize those filenames.

Hope this helps.
IGUYtheGUY
level0

Uplink map.

Postby IGUYtheGUY » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:18 pm

Also you might want to change the name of any file named "Graphics" to something else shouldn't matter what you name it.
Sosiska
level1
level1

Re: Changing World map in V1.55

Postby Sosiska » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:14 am

Factors such as temperature, moisture, light, and soil conditions play a significant role in influencing the germination of weed seeds. Temperature acts as a crucial determinant, as different weed species https://hempharmonyhome.com have specific temperature requirements for optimal germination.

Return to “General”