Caught after destroying my gateway

For problems with the game

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Chrysalid
level0
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:18 pm

Caught after destroying my gateway

Postby Chrysalid » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:32 pm

I'm a windows XP user playing the Steam version of the game (1.39Steam).

One fine day I noticed my motion detector had seen someone next to my shiny new Trinity gateway. I put a stop to it using the GatewayNuke program and got a new system (the default Alpha model) and an email message saying that the Feds had been looking at my system and I'd had a lucky escape. "Sweet" I say.

Then I get caught for hacking the I-squared Internal Services machine before the day is out, despite doing nothing but connecting to Uplink Internal Services to order my new machine.

I'm not sure if this happens normally, but it may have something to do with the fact that I had uploaded the Uplink Agent list onto the Internal Services Machine for safe keeping. Though with a new machine I should still be untracable shouldn't I?
chrisgbk
level1
level1
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:47 pm

Postby chrisgbk » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:47 pm

It's possible that you were setup by another company; you've seen those discredit someone/frame them/destroy their life missions right? It's possible that you pissed someone off in the game enough to have them take out such a mission against you. If you've done the storyline, this is more likely depending on which side you choose to side with.
User avatar
Montyphy
level5
level5
Posts: 6745
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: London, England

Postby Montyphy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:34 am

chrisgbk wrote:It's possible that you were setup by another company; you've seen those discredit someone/frame them/destroy their life missions right? It's possible that you pissed someone off in the game enough to have them take out such a mission against you. If you've done the storyline, this is more likely depending on which side you choose to side with.


I'm pretty certain that doesn't happen.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
frailcorpse
level1
level1
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:16 am

Postby frailcorpse » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:31 am

Montyphy wrote:
chrisgbk wrote:It's possible that you were setup by another company; you've seen those discredit someone/frame them/destroy their life missions right? It's possible that you pissed someone off in the game enough to have them take out such a mission against you. If you've done the storyline, this is more likely depending on which side you choose to side with.


I'm pretty certain that doesn't happen.





actually i think it does. i cannot say that i have personally been caught because of it but after clearing my criminal history and going back and checking on it after a few missions i noticed that there were some charges there. I cleared them and fast forwarded a few days making sure not to do anything at all. I went back and checked it and i had three charges. i traced the log and it brought me to tom smythe, who according to the agent list and his bank transfer logs works for uplink. keep in mind that i am personally responsible for the destruction of over 100 systems and have hacked all but two or three bank accounts so i have definitely made a few "friends" along the way who in theory could have hired the hacker to set me up. now i thought that maybe it was just old charges catching up and the hacker thing was a coincidence but my academic history had also been changed and a trace led me to another uplink hacker. your best bet is to do what i did and find the identity of every uplink agent and send their @$! to jail for 10 to 15 just to be safe. i used to get caught all the time even after destroying every log in several locations, but since i started doing that its been smooth sailing.
User avatar
DinoSteve
level3
level3
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:36 pm
Location: California, US

Postby DinoSteve » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:06 am

frailcorpse wrote:
Montyphy wrote:
chrisgbk wrote:It's possible that you were setup by another company; you've seen those discredit someone/frame them/destroy their life missions right? It's possible that you pissed someone off in the game enough to have them take out such a mission against you. If you've done the storyline, this is more likely depending on which side you choose to side with.


I'm pretty certain that doesn't happen.





actually i think it does. i cannot say that i have personally been caught because of it but after clearing my criminal history and going back and checking on it after a few missions i noticed that there were some charges there. I cleared them and fast forwarded a few days making sure not to do anything at all. I went back and checked it and i had three charges. i traced the log and it brought me to tom smythe, who according to the agent list and his bank transfer logs works for uplink. keep in mind that i am personally responsible for the destruction of over 100 systems and have hacked all but two or three bank accounts so i have definitely made a few "friends" along the way who in theory could have hired the hacker to set me up. now i thought that maybe it was just old charges catching up and the hacker thing was a coincidence but my academic history had also been changed and a trace led me to another uplink hacker. your best bet is to do what i did and find the identity of every uplink agent and send their @$! to jail for 10 to 15 just to be safe. i used to get caught all the time even after destroying every log in several locations, but since i started doing that its been smooth sailing.


Now, I don't want to call you a liar but you're wrong, completely and utterly.
The above post is not intended as an attack on you. It's not about making you look stupid for not searching. It merely states the facts. Please don't be offended.
frailcorpse
level1
level1
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:16 am

Postby frailcorpse » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:45 am

DinoSteve wrote:
frailcorpse wrote:
Montyphy wrote:
chrisgbk wrote:It's possible that you were setup by another company; you've seen those discredit someone/frame them/destroy their life missions right? It's possible that you pissed someone off in the game enough to have them take out such a mission against you. If you've done the storyline, this is more likely depending on which side you choose to side with.


I'm pretty certain that doesn't happen.





actually i think it does. i cannot say that i have personally been caught because of it but after clearing my criminal history and going back and checking on it after a few missions i noticed that there were some charges there. I cleared them and fast forwarded a few days making sure not to do anything at all. I went back and checked it and i had three charges. i traced the log and it brought me to tom smythe, who according to the agent list and his bank transfer logs works for uplink. keep in mind that i am personally responsible for the destruction of over 100 systems and have hacked all but two or three bank accounts so i have definitely made a few "friends" along the way who in theory could have hired the hacker to set me up. now i thought that maybe it was just old charges catching up and the hacker thing was a coincidence but my academic history had also been changed and a trace led me to another uplink hacker. your best bet is to do what i did and find the identity of every uplink agent and send their @$! to jail for 10 to 15 just to be safe. i used to get caught all the time even after destroying every log in several locations, but since i started doing that its been smooth sailing.


Now, I don't want to call you a liar but you're wrong, completely and utterly.



lol now that is what i call an arrogant statement. i don't see how you think you are in a position to call me a liar, or how you think it even matters. i don't need you to believe in order for it to be true, we're not talkin christianity here. we are talking about a game that was designed to do exactly as i stated above....so my question to you is this. who are you to call me a liar? i will bet your life that there have been a few games you have played in your time where others experienced things you did not because you were too busy gettin your head swollen. don't get it twisted little one. things do happen in games that unfortunately you have yet to experience. instead of looking like a tool and calling people a liar, how about you play the game and maybe do a little searching. i think you will find that you have spent a great deal of time with you head up your ass. have a good day :D
User avatar
DinoSteve
level3
level3
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:36 pm
Location: California, US

Postby DinoSteve » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:44 pm

Reading comprehension fail. I didn't say you were a liar. I said you were wrong while insinuating that by being wrong you MAY appear to have you had been lying. I said this because the behaviour you have described is categorically NOT present in this game, thus, you either imagined it, you were looking at the wrong records, or you forgot that it was you who edited your own records.
The above post is not intended as an attack on you. It's not about making you look stupid for not searching. It merely states the facts. Please don't be offended.
frailcorpse
level1
level1
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:16 am

Postby frailcorpse » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:48 pm

DinoSteve wrote:Reading comprehension fail. I didn't say you were a liar. I said you were wrong while insinuating that by being wrong you MAY appear to have you had been lying. I said this because the behaviour you have described is categorically NOT present in this game, thus, you either imagined it, you were looking at the wrong records, or you forgot that it was you who edited your own records.




As I said before, it matters not if you believe me because it happened. Considering I have seen this happen even when I intentionally avoided any missions related to the Academics Database or any records altering. So my good sir explain to me how exactly without me tampering with anything in their records could multiple charges be added if I was never caught? Furthermore when I delete my records and fast forward the game a month new and different charges have been added. I await your response.
User avatar
DinoSteve
level3
level3
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:36 pm
Location: California, US

Postby DinoSteve » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:50 am

It's not a matter of believing you, it simply can't and doesn't happen. So assert your correctness as much as you like, you are wrong.
The above post is not intended as an attack on you. It's not about making you look stupid for not searching. It merely states the facts. Please don't be offended.
User avatar
mr_anonymous
level3
level3
Posts: 461
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:06 am
Location: unknown

Postby mr_anonymous » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:31 am

frailcorpse wrote:
DinoSteve wrote:Reading comprehension fail. I didn't say you were a liar. I said you were wrong while insinuating that by being wrong you MAY appear to have you had been lying. I said this because the behaviour you have described is categorically NOT present in this game, thus, you either imagined it, you were looking at the wrong records, or you forgot that it was you who edited your own records.




As I said before, it matters not if you believe me because it happened. Considering I have seen this happen even when I intentionally avoided any missions related to the Academics Database or any records altering. So my good sir explain to me how exactly without me tampering with anything in their records could multiple charges be added if I was never caught? Furthermore when I delete my records and fast forward the game a month new and different charges have been added. I await your response.

DinoSteve is quite correct. What you describe cannot happen with bog-standard Uplink. It, I suppose, possible that a source mod could cause this effect, but I don't know anything about those. The other possibility is that you are misattributing something. If you are very certain that the phenomenon you describe is actually happening, why don't you post a user file, and describe exactly what needs to be done with that user file in order to reproduce the effect.

Otherwise, shut the fuck up.
Image
frailcorpse
level1
level1
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:16 am

Postby frailcorpse » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:58 am

mr_anonymous wrote:
frailcorpse wrote:
DinoSteve wrote:Reading comprehension fail. I didn't say you were a liar. I said you were wrong while insinuating that by being wrong you MAY appear to have you had been lying. I said this because the behaviour you have described is categorically NOT present in this game, thus, you either imagined it, you were looking at the wrong records, or you forgot that it was you who edited your own records.




As I said before, it matters not if you believe me because it happened. Considering I have seen this happen even when I intentionally avoided any missions related to the Academics Database or any records altering. So my good sir explain to me how exactly without me tampering with anything in their records could multiple charges be added if I was never caught? Furthermore when I delete my records and fast forward the game a month new and different charges have been added. I await your response.

DinoSteve is quite correct. What you describe cannot happen with bog-standard Uplink. It, I suppose, possible that a source mod could cause this effect, but I don't know anything about those. The other possibility is that you are misattributing something. If you are very certain that the phenomenon you describe is actually happening, why don't you post a user file, and describe exactly what needs to be done with that user file in order to reproduce the effect.

Otherwise, shut the fuck up.



lol i'm loving the level of hostility. i don't know who pissed in your cheerios but i assure you it wasn't me. i will say it again, it matters not whether you believe me it still happened. so instead of continuing to ramble on pointlessly taking your anger out on me, why don't you go vent. get a picture of your grandmother and whack it to your hearts content. you waste your life ranting on some pointless blog to some random person because you are a small person. do something constructive with your life and get the fuck out of your parents basement. your underware could use a changing and the neighbors are starting to think there are bodies in the basement from the smell. do society a favor and off yourself, i'm sure you'd be missed.
User avatar
mr_anonymous
level3
level3
Posts: 461
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:06 am
Location: unknown

Postby mr_anonymous » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:01 pm

Post a file, or stfu.
Image
User avatar
DinoSteve
level3
level3
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:36 pm
Location: California, US

Postby DinoSteve » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:12 pm

frailcorpse wrote:it matters not whether you believe me it still happened.


I will keep reiterating this until you understand the point. It did NOT happen. It can NOT happen. Either your recollection or observation is incorrect. The game is NOT designed to do that as it would be unfair game play, thus, it is simply impossible.

As for hostilities, telling you that you are wrong is not hostile. However, you resorting to abusive ad hominem is hostile and is a sign that you do not a valid argument to support your claims.
The above post is not intended as an attack on you. It's not about making you look stupid for not searching. It merely states the facts. Please don't be offended.
frailcorpse
level1
level1
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:16 am

Postby frailcorpse » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:48 pm

DinoSteve wrote:
frailcorpse wrote:it matters not whether you believe me it still happened.


I will keep reiterating this until you understand the point. It did NOT happen. It can NOT happen. Either your recollection or observation is incorrect. The game is NOT designed to do that as it would be unfair game play, thus, it is simply impossible.

As for hostilities, telling you that you are wrong is not hostile. However, you resorting to abusive ad hominem is hostile and is a sign that you do not a valid argument to support your claims.




lol again you feel the need to argue the point with me. it does not matter, wow. the entire basis for this post was just how I hack banks and you guy's are getting all caught up with ONE detail. grow the fuck up. whether other uplink agents are doing it, or the game itself, it happens. why do you feel the need to argue with me? as for posting a file, what file would you like me to post genius? oh i know, i'll post the entire code for the game and highlight the part with that particular code. don't be retarded. either except the fact that it has happened and move on, or shit the fuck up. surely you can find something more important to do with your time than waste it arguing with me because no matter what you say, it still happened. if you would like to post the entire code for the game and prove me wrong then i challenge you to do so. your move.
Nixitur
level1
level1
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:10 pm
Contact:

Postby Nixitur » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:25 pm

What they are saying is that other Uplink agents may screw around with company systems and such, but they do not change anything about your records.

Although I had one "Trace a hacker" mission and I wasn't able to accept it. My first guess is that it was about tracing me. Is that true? If yes, can other hackers trace you? The difference between passive trace and a hacker tracing you is minimal, so there's no real way to tell what exactly happened. But nonetheless, your criminal record only gets changed when you get caught hacking or when you change it yourself.
Post a file or, even better, a video with you not doing anything and charges magically appearing on your criminal record. Otherwise, it's most likely that your statement is false.

Return to “Bug Reports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests