Help to stop a hacker from ever working again... stuck!

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Damian227
level0

Help to stop a hacker from ever working again... stuck!

Postby Damian227 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:05 pm

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the game and am tackling this mission for the first time. I've bounced between about 15 locations, use Proxy Bypass and then attempt to Decypher the criminal database... however, the trace goes insane beeping like mad the INSTANT I try and decypher?

Twice I've managed to get it to give me 40 seconds, but thats not enough to decypher, break the password and still give me time to change the record AND delete logs?

Any help here guys?
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:14 am

Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Damian227
level0

Postby Damian227 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:54 pm

Just read the FAQ and it doesn't particularly help with my question, it tells me what to do (though I already know), my issue is with time... it beeps instantly, so I can't do anything?
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:24 pm

Have you actually followed the directions in the FAQ? I'm thinking, in particular, of the first couple of sentences:

Rkiver wrote:This is a clean-up of the older FAQ that Flamekebab posted.

Also if a question is not answered here, please go read The Ultimate Uplink Guide.

Any questions that are answered quite clearly here or in the Guide will be closed and pointed to here or the Guide.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Re: Help to stop a hacker from ever working again... stuck!

Postby Mas Tnega » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:32 pm

Your options are:

Use more bounces.
Get better software.
Get better hardware.
Be more efficient.
Gate420
level1
level1

you can get more time

Postby Gate420 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:33 am

By prehacking! Prehacking all the internal servers will buy you lots more time once you are able to get the bypass software you won't need to do this but before getting the bypass software if you want to buy time get as many internal servers from internic as you want then prehack each one meaning log on to the server run the password cracker as soon as the password comes up disconnect now on the main screen you will see a double square around that server having that double square means you have admin access and it takes the active trace way more time to get by that system.That is how you buy more time for hacks when you don't have the luxury of the monitor bypass. :)
Last edited by Gate420 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teddy Coalition
level2
level2

Postby Teddy Coalition » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:48 am

First, get more bounce off points from INTERnic, or whatever that place is called.
Then make sure your decypher is lvl 4 at least, and full power that sucker!
what I mean is, above theres a list of programs running & what % They're using.
click on the right of the decypher program & max power it, it will speed up.

Tracer, proxy, firewall, most programs need little power to do their job.
max out password breaker, decypher, log deleter, anything that takes time.

Hope this helps.
Join the Coalition or perish at it's feet!
Gate420
level1
level1

More bounces isnt really needed if you prehack

Postby Gate420 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:28 am

Yes upping cpu power can help to make the decypher go faster but if you really want to delay the active trace and you are not doing so right now prehacking is the way to go of course once you can afford the bypass more servers helps then cause you don't have to prehack unless of courser you want to buy more time on a lan hack with you monitor bypass prehacking is a breeze they don't even know your there and you don't have to log in to prehack just let the cracker get the password then quickly loggoff and do your next prehack it works and buys you a lot more time then just having more bounces.If your not prehacking right now then you really should give it a try and you will see one prehacked system buys you more time then having id say 3 extra bounces maybe more.

Gate420

Return to “Hints and Tips”