DEFCON II...or how I learned to not worry and love the bomb

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

General Turgetson
level1
level1

DEFCON II...or how I learned to not worry and love the bomb

Postby General Turgetson » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:32 am

Okay now, I have heard everyones complaints about those who seek to change DEFCON too drastically. But I have a very effective plan in what to put into the possible (However unlikely) DEFCON 2.

Now when I first Played DEFCON I had to change my pants, but when i came back, I was decidedly unhappy with DEFCON 3 (The DEFCON level) the conventional warfare currently....well blows.

However, I have a plan that would work.

It would drastically change DEFCON and therefore will never becoem a reality. I simply propose this:

1: A far more detailed map, one containing land features and such. This is a nesesity for my furthur plans

2: Rifle Divisions and Armored Divisions are added in along with trasnport craft.

3: The time between DEFCONs would be MUCH longer. To allow for the develpoment of conventional warfare.

Don't get me wrong, I think Global Nuclear destruction is the most beautiful thing in the world, but I would like so good old fasioned war damage right?

I mean, Dr. Strangelove wouldn't be the same without the scene of soldiers fighting. My ideal project would look something more like Hearts of Iron II (For those of you lucky enough to play it) But with a nuclear finish

DEFCON is great, but too much like a radioactive Solitare, I want more strategy to be involved (Don't bash me for that comment)

The line in Wargames that got me excited was when they said "They're mobilizing troops" I want to see that mobilization.

All in all the game would still be DEFCON, but with a little lead in, after you hit DEFCON 2, it would be regular old DEFCON. This is my basic premise, I have specifics, but I get the feeling no one here will agree with my idea, so unless you ask for them I won't waste my time.
Last edited by General Turgetson on Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:42 am

Gentlemen, start your flamethrowers...
KingAl
level5
level5

Re: DEFCON II...or how I learned to not worry and love the b

Postby KingAl » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:53 am

General Turgetson wrote:But I have a very effective plan in how to make DEFCON 2 a reality...It would drastically change DEFCON and therefore will never becoem a reality.

Eh?
Incidentally, the character whose name you're trying to use as a nick is General Turgidson.
General Turgetson
level1
level1

Knew it

Postby General Turgetson » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:00 am

Ha! i was waitning for some nitpicker to spot it. Yes I realized I misspelled it about....5 seconds after I created it, too late to change it now isn't it?

the moneymaker, General Ripper was taken and I am sure Dr. Strangelove was too, and I actually know how to spell those two.

can we keep posts relavent? or at least funny?

Gentlemen, start your flamethrowers

hee hee.
Feud
level5
level5

Re: Knew it

Postby Feud » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:03 am

General Turgetson wrote:
can we keep posts relavent? or at least funny?

His post was relavent. He was pointing out a contradictory statement, and wondering what you meant by it.
General Turgetson
level1
level1

ah

Postby General Turgetson » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:09 am

.....oh...lol oops. I didn't catch that. But hey, I am Turgidson though right? I am far to busy worrying about the mineshaft gap to pay attention....to....anything.

But my basic point is that aside from your very witty comment about the flamethrowers I have had no feedback. well...unless you count "Eh"
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:50 am

Sounds to me like you'll end up with a "two games in one" game. First, conventional warfare, then good old Defcon. You'll get a total break in gameplay when DEFCON1 hits. Only in very rare cases, such a radical gameplay change in the middle of a game is a good idea. Aditionally, a specific problem I see with ground troops I can see is that for them, the geographic differences of the territories play a much larger role than for the navy. I'd say that if you want any of this, you'll need to write your own game.
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Re:

Postby BrianBlessed » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:45 pm

KingAl wrote:Incidentally, the character whose name you're trying to use as a nick is General Turgidson.

You notice that, but not the fact that the title is "....or how I learned to not worry and love the bomb" rather than "....or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb", capitalisation and colons aside.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:11 pm

"Defcon 2 would be rubbish. Everyone knows you can only use nukes in Defcon 1"
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:05 pm

Anything other than the current form of Defcon would, well, be like 99% of the other "sequels" out there -- bad.

And what's wrong with radioactive solitaire? :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:09 pm

This reminds me of the time I nuked the british to oblivion while playing civ III
General Turgetson
level1
level1

Postby General Turgetson » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:57 pm

Montyphy wrote:"Defcon 2 would be rubbish. Everyone knows you can only use nukes in Defcon 1"

Yeah I saw you say the same thing in another post, not quite sure what you mean by that but I realize you can only use nukes and I think it would benefit from more than that.

Nothing is wrong with radioactive solitare, I jsut mean, you play solitare when you have nothing better to do, I want a game far more in-depth. You should probably read what I said again

DEFCON is great, but too much like a radioactive Solitare, I want more strategy to be involved (Don't bash me for that comment)

Not all sequals are bad, Terminator 2, Doom 3, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. lots of god sequals. I don't understand why people hate the idea of another DEFCON so badly. All I want is to essentially make a new engine for DEFCON, one that allows ground combat. It would only serve as a sort of, intro before the actual nucelar war.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:52 pm

I just have a special fondness for Defcon and have trouble seeing any way to improve upon my fondness of it with few exceptions. Example: Seeing more names on the list for the upcoming tournament

Now I realize that there are sequels that are as good/better than the original, but the rule of thumb is sequels are bad. I'm seriously not against a Defcon sequel.

In any event, welcome to the world of registered forum members, and do your duty! Sign up now! :wink:

Montyphy wrote:"Defcon 2 would be rubbish. Everyone knows you can only use nukes in Defcon 1"

...is a play on words called a joke, at least that's the way I see it...
General Turgetson
level1
level1

Postby General Turgetson » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:56 pm

Don't get me wrong, I love DEFCON like a woman...which has resulted in many awkward injuries....but I want...no....I NEED land combat, It is my epseciality.

and as for that play on words thing....that's...sort of funny. I guess.
I learned to love the bomb....have you?
General Turgetson
level1
level1

Re:

Postby General Turgetson » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:03 pm

BrianBlessed wrote:You notice that, but not the fact that the title is "....or how I learned to not worry and love the bomb" rather than "....or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb", capitalisation and colons aside.

and by the way....dude....WTF?

you have time to point these thigns out to people!? holy crap man, can we please keep it to the topic instead of nitpicking EVERY freaking thing I write? It's like a few fricking words different! what is wrong with you people!?

Return to “Think Tank”