help....major problems with Mission BBS/making money

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

tynan
level1
level1

help....major problems with Mission BBS/making money

Postby tynan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:35 am

Hello all. I recently purchased the Full download version of this game. I made it to Intermediate level, but now the Mission BBS list has nothing but Intermediate-level and above missions, all involving security that takes too long for me to bypass (I have to use Proxy_disable, which takes so long to complete that I can't even finish the bloody thing before getting booted/fined). I even upgraded my cpu to 120ghz, upgraded my memory. Nothing was working. And the HUD analyzer cost 20,000! Couldn't afford that. Finally, after a second attempt of trying to complete a Mission, I got a black screen from Uplink saying they want to throw me out because I got caught hacking.
So this is the bottom line: What happened to all those nice, quick, easy Missions that I could do when I was a Novice? Did they suddenly disappear? I was at a point in the game to where I could not accomplish a SINGLE mission because I did not have the money to upgrade my software/hardware to handle them. This should never happen in this game. There should ALWAYS be options for making a quick buck.
So my question is this: is it a simple matter of accelerating time and just hoping that a low-level mission "pops up" in the BBS? Thank you.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:32 am

Quite often yes, just fast forward.

Or try the bypassers rather then disablers, hack a bank to get the funding you need to do so.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
tynan
level1
level1

Postby tynan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:37 pm

Thanks!
Yes, I know about the Bypassers, but in order to use them, you have to buy a HUD connection analyzer, which costs 20,000. And often in order to hack a Bank you need a Voice print hack, I believe 5000. I guess what I am realizing is that in actual "game" time, I've only been around for a few days, heck I made it to Confident level within the very first 24 hours of "game" time. So it is a question of patience lol....it is unrealistic to think I could make that kind of money (with the equipment I have, and Rank) in just a few game minutes.
Chad Mulligan
level2
level2

Remember that your employers are saps (sort of).

Postby Chad Mulligan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:20 am

Remember that you can negotiate to get part of the payment upfront. It may be possible for you to accept many missions at 50% upfront, thus giving you the capital to buy more interesting stuff. If not, your employers will be fairly patient.

And of course, pay attention to any 'trace an unauthorized transfer' missions.
"I tell you three times..."

Return to “General”