Need some help

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Randor244
level1
level1

Need some help

Postby Randor244 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:08 am

Hello everybody, I just joined this forum. I love uplink - and I've got like a million questions about it ;)
I've taken a look in the forums, and haven't found any answers to my questions. But if this have been posted before, I'm sorry. Anyway:

1. Does patching the game affect my savegames?

2. How do I track down a hacker (in those missions)? I can trace the ips back, but then?

3. What is the easiest way to ruin a person's life?

4. Sometimes when loading a saved connection the map screen go crazy. How to fix this problem?

5. I've seen this on the forums before - but I want to be totally sure - if I copy the user data to another folder and loses the game, can I just replace the new data with the old and get my backed up user back?

6. If my motion sensor flashes red and I self destruct my gateway, exactly what happens? Do I get a new, crappy one, do I get everything back, or...?

7. Do I HAVE to delete the InterNIC logs to prevent passive tracks or is it enough to route the connection through multiple, very secure systems?

8. Last question - I have a small idea. If I do lose my gateway, programs and everything as in question 6. Couldn't I copy all my applications to an external file server, the ones you are given in missions? Aod then copy them back so I agt least have those back?

If someone could take his/her time to answer all this I would be very happy :)
set bestgameever = "Uplink";
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:13 am

Answers follow

Also, for reference: http://guide.modlink.net
Last edited by xyzyxx on Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Re: Need some help

Postby xyzyxx » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:17 am

Randor244 wrote:Hello everybody, I just joined this forum. I love uplink - and I've got like a million questions about it ;)
I've taken a look in the forums, and haven't found any answers to my questions. But if this have been posted before, I'm sorry. Anyway:

1. Does patching the game affect my savegames?
Yes, you will need to start a new game
2. How do I track down a hacker (in those missions)? I can trace the ips back, but then?
Look at the logs on each machine, and continue to trace back until you find someone's Personal Computer.
Also, use the Log_Undelete to make sure you aren't fooled.

3. What is the easiest way to ruin a person's life?
Put him in jail.
4. Sometimes when loading a saved connection the map screen go crazy. How to fix this problem?
You removed a node from your list that was part of your saved connection.
5. I've seen this on the forums before - but I want to be totally sure - if I copy the user data to another folder and loses the game, can I just replace the new data with the old and get my backed up user back?
I think so.
6. If my motion sensor flashes red and I self destruct my gateway, exactly what happens? Do I get a new, crappy one, do I get everything back, or...?
You lose all of your hardware and software. You get a new (crappy) gateway. However, you keep your bank accounts, your money and your rankings.
7. Do I HAVE to delete the InterNIC logs to prevent passive tracks or is it enough to route the connection through multiple, very secure systems?
No, you must break the log chain somewhere in order to avoid being caught.
8. Last question - I have a small idea. If I do lose my gateway, programs and everything as in question 6. Couldn't I copy all my applications to an external file server, the ones you are given in missions? Aod then copy them back so I agt least have those back?
Yes.

If someone could take his/her time to answer all this I would be very happy :)
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Randor244
level1
level1

Postby Randor244 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:29 am

Thanks very much (great guide as well by the way)!

Some more:

1. How to put someone in jail? I thinki I can do it from the Criminal server, but it won't do it...

2. Is it enough to delete the logs from the computer I am hacking? For example, go into the console and type

cd log
delete
disconnect

3. So you mean I need to start a totally new game? :( But I've come so far... Well, guess I have to :(

(I really don't want to look at the guide, because I might spot some spoilers. I want to complete this by myself as much as possible ;))
Krell
level2
level2

Postby Krell » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:56 pm

If you patch, yes, to best utilize the full capabilities and fixes you should start a new user file.

Also to confirm xyzyxx's post, yes if you copy your user file to another directory then overwrite that on a losing file, you will restore back to where the file was copied. I typically do that right at the decision point between ARC and Arunmor.
InterNIC: Created to save agents everywhere
Randor244
level1
level1

Postby Randor244 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:03 pm

I have now patched the game to 1.55 (from 1.0 - man, what a difference :D).

I could continue from my old game. What can't I do that I can if I create a new user?

Another question - why abandon missions when you could just not do them?
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:44 pm

What can't you do? Lan missions for a start, which are now integral to doing the storyline.

Make a new user.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Randor244
level1
level1

Postby Randor244 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:46 pm

So you mean I can buy lan software but not take on lan missions?
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:50 pm

Your user actually can see and get lan software after a jump from 1.0 to 1.55? Ok that is a surprise. If you can get the lan software and access the lans then you should be ok overall.
Randor244
level1
level1

Postby Randor244 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:54 pm

Oh yeah! I'm special :D

Yeah, I've bought the max levels of all LAN software now ;) Havn't got into a lan yet though... Though I havn't seen any lan missions either - when do you get one? I'm lvl 9 and havn't started the storyline yet.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:55 pm

You get them eventually. You wont know it's a lan mission till you take it usually.
Randor244
level1
level1

Postby Randor244 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:56 pm

Another question - why abandon missions when you could just not do them?
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:00 pm

It's up to the individual really.
Randor244
level1
level1

Postby Randor244 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:04 pm

I like this game so much :D
I'm surprised (and happy) that this community is still this active ;)

What I like most about the game, is that you feel so skilled when you finally accomplish something (unless you use forums like this :D). Like the first time I tried to destroy a computer. On my own I thought: "Hmm, maybe I can delete the system files..." - and it worked!
Chad Mulligan
level2
level2

Postby Chad Mulligan » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:28 am

Randor244 wrote:Thanks very much (great guide as well by the way)!

Some more:

1. How to put someone in jail? I thinki I can do it from the Criminal server, but it won't do it...

What do you mean by "it won't do it"? If it's objecting to you when you push 'Authorise Arrest', read the dialogue box that tells you it's objecting, and fix the problem.

Arrests aren't immediate, if that's what you were expecting. If you authorized it with no problems, it'll take some hours (but not days).

2. Is it enough to delete the logs from the computer I am hacking? For example, go into the console and type

cd log
delete
disconnect

And if the trace has already started, so they already know what machine you used to connect to them and when?

3. So you mean I need to start a totally new game? :( But I've come so far... Well, guess I have to :(

(I really don't want to look at the guide, because I might spot some spoilers. I want to complete this by myself as much as possible ;))

I haven't tried playing early-version chars against late-version patches. As for the guide, fair enough -- this is the Hints and Tips forum anyway, not the Spoiler Bonanza Forum.
"I tell you three times..."

Return to “Hints and Tips”