Sample program rumours/solvings?

Discussion on the full game [spoilers]

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Emandion
level0

Sample program rumours/solvings?

Postby Emandion » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:08 am

I've read up in a couple of places that the Sample Program you can acquire during the test mission (or at any time in the game should you return to the test server) isn't actually a pointless waste of space, with some rumours being solved/confirmed..

Thing is I'm stumped as to any of it.. No idea where to even begin trying to figure them out myself, and haven't actually heard any rumours (and Google didn't help :() let alone find any rumours to be true or at least concluded.

Anyone give me a nudge in the right direction? (Or feel free to even totally spoil it, since I always seem to fail not long after the storyline starts due to running out of money and not being able to buy the vital programs)
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:19 pm

It's useless.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
DimitryZ
level0

Re: Sample program rumours/solvings?

Postby DimitryZ » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:14 pm

Emandion wrote:....fail not long after the storyline starts due to running out of money and not being able to buy the vital programs)

The Ultimate Uplink Guide is your friend.
And try hacking some bank accounts. Bank hacking with low level gateway and disablers (not bypassers) is THE most exciting hack to do in the entire game (since you have literally less than a minute to finish it - no room for error).
Emandion
level0

Re: Sample program rumours/solvings?

Postby Emandion » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:38 am

DimitryZ wrote:
Emandion wrote:....fail not long after the storyline starts due to running out of money and not being able to buy the vital programs)

The Ultimate Uplink Guide is your friend.
And try hacking some bank accounts. Bank hacking with low level gateway and disablers (not bypassers) is THE most exciting hack to do in the entire game (since you have literally less than a minute to finish it - no room for error).

Actually (by gaining the bypassers/analysis upgrade/voice analyser using funds gained from a negative-cost gateway, although I AM playing the game properly on another Agent) I've never even had a trace initiated from banks (Proxy and Monitor bypass, crack admin password/cypher/voice recognition, write down Acc. No.s and Passwords, check each one individually until I find a mil. plus, transfer to bank account created on the same bank, delete transfer record, delete logs, delete recipient account transfer record, wait, +rank, transfer money to Uplink account)
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:18 am

DimitryZ specified using a low level gateway and disablers, so what you can do with bypassers and a high level system is a little irrelevant. Additionally, banks have very fast passive traces even when they haven't initiated an active trace, hence the necessity for deleting transfer logs.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Emandion
level0

Postby Emandion » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:27 pm

I said negative cost gateway, not negative cost GOOD gateway ;)

Guess I just always got lucky and did it in time.
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:04 pm

In addition to a low end gateway, the use of disablers, rather than bypassers, was specified. Unlike bypassers, disablers take some time to go into effect (time that can be reduced by using a higher end gateway with more or faster processors), and there is no monitor disabler, so you start getting traced as soon as the bank notices that their proxy and firewall are being taken down. This is in start contrast to the use of bypassers, where you have all the time in the world (literally -- they never start an active trace if you do it right, and the passive trace doesn't start until you actually move some money around).

Furthermore, what is the point of hacking a bank if you are already cheating by using a negative priced gateway?
Emandion
level0

Postby Emandion » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:34 pm

It's not like I got millions out of the gateway, just enough to get myself started. But I actually figured out what I was doing wrong and am actually on the storyline on a 100% legit account now, so that's good ^_^

As for why hack a bank with a cheated account, I wasn't playing it properly on that one, just screwing around with stuff.
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:56 pm

Emandion wrote:It's not like I got millions out of the gateway, just enough to get myself started. But I actually figured out what I was doing wrong and am actually on the storyline on a 100% legit account now, so that's good ^_^

As for why hack a bank with a cheated account, I wasn't playing it properly on that one, just screwing around with stuff.

Way to miss the point entirely.
Emandion
level0

Postby Emandion » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:14 pm

Why thank you :)

Allow me to answer your question with a little more dumbed down terms.

Because I could?
To try and get the hang of it?

Pick one. Either works.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:49 pm

Had you read the post you were replying to, you'd understand the point that was being missed.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
Emandion
level0

Postby Emandion » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:22 pm

lol, I love it how you're all taking this so seriously.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:32 pm

Round and round and round it goes.

Where it stops, Rkiver knows.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ

Return to “The Full Game”