Ten Things I Hate About You

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Jaenak
level0

Ten Things I Hate About You

Postby Jaenak » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:36 am

Okay, I've got some major complaints with this game.
1. No patch available online will install sucessfully.
2. You can't turn down the music volume, it's either blasting or off.
3. Banks don't trace you like normal computers do, you can log on and sit there for hours and they won't do anything. However, if you transfer money, they will have your uplink user account locked up in less than ten seconds. It's impossible to delete everything you need to in that length of time.
4. A monitor bypass is worthless because you may be able to crack the password but if you log into the admin account with your newly cracked password, the monitor will initiate a trace whether the monitor has been bypassed or not. Therefore you just threw $25,000 down the drain because it doesn't do anything.
5. All financial missions are undoable. They all say, 'gather the required info and let us know' or 'send the money in his account to us' but either they didn't include their bank's IP number and their account number or they refuse to complete the mission even if you do send them the info they requested.
6. The company says in the case of the Feds, they'll sieze your gateway and destroy it and disavow you thus effectively deleting your user account. However, they don't mention your bank account. They need to allow you to switch your username and continue with your previous bank account if they are to live up to their agreement.
7. I've had my user account locked up several times for hacking different computer systems even though I've deleted all accessable log files, and I do mean ALL, and have never been nabbed by a trace. The game just randomly decides to shut you down.
8. The $15,750 gateway with the radio transmitter says it gives anonimity to the user, you can not be caught with that gateway. Well, someone forgot to tell the game that. It treats that gateway just like all the others. You CAN be caught with that gateway because the game doesn't seem to know it's not supposed to be able to catch you.
9. Your stats and the security of the systems increases almost twice as fast as your bank account. For every numerical difficulty level a system has, certain programs are typically required to bypass the security found standard on systems of that difficulty level. However, if you complete just a few missions on systems with a smaller difficulty level, your stats will rise quickly and those harder systems will become standard and the systems you're actually capable of cracking will disappear from the missions list and you'll be left with a list of missions sending you to systems you're not yet capable of cracking and a bank account that's too small to let you buy the software to bypass it. In short, your stats level up too fast and the difficulty level of the missions rises too fast.
10. If Uplink siezes your gateway and disavows your username, why are all the other hackers getting arrested? I feel like the only one. If the company really lives up to what it says, none of these hackers would be getting arrested. Of course there is always missions asking you to hack into the Global Criminal Database and frame a well known hacker but hackers tend to stick together on such things and would not sell each other out in such massive numbers.

-----

All in all I've uninstalled this game from my computer, thrown away all documents relating to this game and destroyed the installation media. I'm completely pissed off because I totally feel I've been ripped off. I wouldn't recommend anyone waste their money on this game but knowing that now can't help me earlier when I did waste my money on it out of ignorance. I wish I could have known this earlier. :evil:
KingAl
level5
level5

Re: Ten Things I Hate About You

Postby KingAl » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:19 am

Jaenak wrote:1. No patch available online will install sucessfully.

It will if you've purchased it from the Introversion store, from Steam (in which case it'll be auto-updated) or as a freebie with Defcon. If you've bought it anywhere else, ask for a refund; it's the 'Hacker Elite' version published by Strategy First without giving due royalties to Introversion - if you wish to complain, do so to Strategy First.
Jaenak wrote:2. You can't turn down the music volume, it's either blasting or off.

/me looks pointedly at the volume control on my speakers.
It'll only be 'blasting' if you have your volume loud by default.
Jaenak wrote:3. Banks don't trace you like normal computers do, you can log on and sit there for hours and they won't do anything. However, if you transfer money, they will have your uplink user account locked up in less than ten seconds. It's impossible to delete everything you need to in that length of time.

Years of not getting caught hacking banks in Uplink tell me otherwise. You need to use log deleter on the transfer logs within the banks, which is very quick to do, particularly if you create a new account on the target bank. Check the Ultimate Uplink Guide in my sig for more help.
Jaenak wrote:4. A monitor bypass is worthless because you may be able to crack the password but if you log into the admin account with your newly cracked password, the monitor will initiate a trace whether the monitor has been bypassed or not. Therefore you just threw $25,000 down the drain because it doesn't do anything.

That time is actually quite useful, and given bank hacks are a doddle money isn't really a concern. If you bitch about the integrated IRC client, well, fair game.
Jaenak wrote:5. All financial missions are undoable. They all say, 'gather the required info and let us know' or 'send the money in his account to us' but either they didn't include their bank's IP number and their account number or they refuse to complete the mission even if you do send them the info they requested.

I've never had trouble with such missions, though that's not much help. Again, the Guide is a great source of info; ideally, you should have the latest patch, but given you appear to have the 'Hacker Elite' version that's not a solution. I'd strongly recommend getting a refund if possible.

Jaenak wrote:6. The company says in the case of the Feds, they'll sieze your gateway and destroy it and disavow you thus effectively deleting your user account. However, they don't mention your bank account. They need to allow you to switch your username and continue with your previous bank account if they are to live up to their agreement.

...?

Jaenak wrote:7. I've had my user account locked up several times for hacking different computer systems even though I've deleted all accessable log files, and I do mean ALL, and have never been nabbed by a trace. The game just randomly decides to shut you down.

No, it doesn't. Chances are, you aren't deleting logs in time, or you aren't using a high enough version of Log_Deleter when you do, and are traced by another hacker.

Jaenak wrote:8. The $15,750 gateway with the radio transmitter says it gives anonimity to the user, you can not be caught with that gateway. Well, someone forgot to tell the game that. It treats that gateway just like all the others. You CAN be caught with that gateway because the game doesn't seem to know it's not supposed to be able to catch you.

Yeah, that was removed in an earlier version of the game because it lacked balance - it's mentioned in the patch change logs, though the description was only amended in a more recent patch.

Jaenak wrote:9. Your stats and the security of the systems increases almost twice as fast as your bank account. For every numerical difficulty level a system has, certain programs are typically required to bypass the security found standard on systems of that difficulty level. However, if you complete just a few missions on systems with a smaller difficulty level, your stats will rise quickly and those harder systems will become standard and the systems you're actually capable of cracking will disappear from the missions list and you'll be left with a list of missions sending you to systems you're not yet capable of cracking and a bank account that's too small to let you buy the software to bypass it. In short, your stats level up too fast and the difficulty level of the missions rises too fast.

Dealing with your funds is one major aspect of the game. Hacking banks, requesting money before performing a mission or fast-forwarding until easier missions appear in the mission list are all possible solutions.

Jaenak wrote:10. If Uplink siezes your gateway and disavows your username, why are all the other hackers getting arrested? I feel like the only one. If the company really lives up to what it says, none of these hackers would be getting arrested. Of course there is always missions asking you to hack into the Global Criminal Database and frame a well known hacker but hackers tend to stick together on such things and would not sell each other out in such massive numbers.

Artistic license :P Hackers can trace other hackers, people can be framed via the GDC... there are lots of mechanisms whereby someone might be incriminated. Destroying data is only effective if evidence has not yet been found.

Jaenak wrote:All in all I've uninstalled this game from my computer, thrown away all documents relating to this game and destroyed the installation media. I'm completely pissed off because I totally feel I've been ripped off. I wouldn't recommend anyone waste their money on this game but knowing that now can't help me earlier when I did waste my money on it out of ignorance. I wish I could have known this earlier. :evil:

You have been ripped off, by Strategy First. That said, you've been complaining about many things that just aren't true. Others find Uplink to be to their taste, so there's no need to condemn it out of hand.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Tsunamii
level1
level1

Postby Tsunamii » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:24 am

Uplink is one of those trial and error games where you learn something new and all of a sudden everything seems to make much more sense.

I would hazard a guess that it was intended to be played by people that are playing optimally and that the testers were all quite familiar with the game and somewhat out of touch with the experiences of someone that is computer illiterate.

Evidence of this is the huge threads and FAQs that explain how to do everything in the game.

I think most of the people that stick with the game end up liking it more as time goes by. I have played through it probably a dozen times over the years and I still pick up new stuff every time and its like... duh I wish I knew that the first 11 times.

Tsunamii
Miles2397
level4
level4

Postby Miles2397 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:00 pm

**Historical Post Overwritten**
Last edited by Miles2397 on Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:43 pm

Just as a point of information, Tsunamii has been banned, and Jaenak made his one post and disappeared. I don't think that there is anyone left who cares. :\
Miles2397
level4
level4

Postby Miles2397 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:50 pm

Last edited by Miles2397 on Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:58 pm

A 3-week old last post didn't suggest "Step off"?
Miles2397
level4
level4

Postby Miles2397 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:18 am

Last edited by Miles2397 on Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:27 am

Yeah... the Uplink forums aren't really all that popular.

Return to “General”