What would happen if you're too good for your own good?

Discussion on the full game [spoilers]

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

nightdagger
level0

What would happen if you're too good for your own good?

Postby nightdagger » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:53 pm

So the thought struck me...the storyline always involves the top rated agent of Uplink, right?

What would happen if you did the mole mission, got his name, hacked the GCD, and had him arrested before the storyline had a chance to start?

Would the game ignore the fact that he's in jail and have him making news statements and hacking things from his personal computer in jail, or would it choose a new agent to take his place at number one? Or would it bypass the storyline entirely?

Has anyone actually done this? I imagine you'd have to hack your savegame to get cash in order to have a good enough gateway and software to copy the database from UIS and hack the GCD before the missions start...
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:48 am

I believe you and the top rated agent are the two agents whose names are in the missing file in the mole mission, and so this doesn't become an issue.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Akatosh
level2
level2

Postby Akatosh » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:35 pm

Wouldn't it techncially be possible (given you have loads of time and boredom) to arrest every single person via the GCD? Of course, it'd be really hard, but I think you could find out all the in-game names when the GCD runs a search by entering something not in it... given you are a fast reader or use the [Print Screen] button.
This is not a signature.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:44 am

Perhaps. However, even if the top-rated agent were in the GCD, the game would most likely plough on regardless.

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
nightdagger
level0

Postby nightdagger » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:49 am

Thanks to a million dollar take from a bank hack on my second day as an Uplink agent in my newest game, I had an opportunity to answer my own question.

The game completely ignores the fact that the agent is in jail. He made his statement to the press, then ended up dead, just like he always does.

He does show up on the list, by the way...or at least he showed up on my list. Looks like it might be possible for his name to be omitted, though.
Zanirzrold
level0

Postby Zanirzrold » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:54 pm

If you made him officially dead that would be interesting...
But if you only have love for you own race, then you only space to discriminate, and to discriminate only generates hate, and when you hate your bound to get irate.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:10 am

Zanirzrold wrote:If you made him officially dead that would be interesting...

Nah. It'd just do the same thing - completely ignore whatever circumstances he's in and plow on with the storyline.

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
Deuteronomy
level0

Postby Deuteronomy » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:25 pm

I wonder what would happen if you framed him for High Tech Fraud and got him removed from Uplink Corp.

I've heard there's an alternate way to get everything started if that e-mail never goes out, but I don't know how to prevent it.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:07 am

A hint - where do you think the e-mail might have come from? And how might you find it?

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:29 pm

Using the FBI Mod, surely you could use the cheat menu & make yourself the top agent... then what would happen?

I'm playing Uplink as I write this as a cheater (I'm trying to VDPIN), so I'll try it soon.

EDIT: He still sends the e-mail as top agent, although I am.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:44 am

Same as before - it'd be ignored. The agent that is murdered is almost certainly chosen on the generation of the world at profile creation.

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
jasam01
level0

Postby jasam01 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:57 pm

I'm first.
The second one got jailed as a result of a mission I did. (Actulay off the list an plain by chance to boot)

3rd is making the statement....

And boom, 2nd makes his statement anyway ^^'
Tsunamii
level1
level1

Postby Tsunamii » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:45 pm

There are dozens of inconsistencies of this nature in the game.

If you are rated #1 agent after cheezing your way into rediculous amounts of money before the storyline starts it will still say the #1 agent comes forward about blah blah blah.

If you put a sysadmin of a LAN in jail and then hack the lan he will still trace you as usual.

You are the only uplink agent ever to use level 4 log deletions

You are able to bounce attacks through phones and public access servers and other uplink agents cant

Even though you cant trace another hacker back through a phone system, SysAdmins can trace you backwards through them both passive and active

Other uplink agents are not allowed to frame you for stuff you didnt do

You can kill the Arunmor LAN on ShinyHammer and the game will tell you that you didnt do enough damage. I had to kill it upwards of 20 times before the game would accept that it was dead last time.

If you kill all the files on a server the news will say "blah blah blah lost millions worth of data". If you log back in and copy one of your files to the server and then delete it again, the news will again say "blah blah blah company lost millions worth of data".

I could do this all day.

Tsunamii
BugMeNot
level0

Postby BugMeNot » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:23 am

Tsunamii wrote:There are dozens of inconsistencies of this nature in the game....
If you kill all the files on a server the news will say "blah blah blah lost millions worth of data". If you log back in and copy one of your files to the server and then delete it again, the news will again say "blah blah blah company lost millions worth of data".

Actually I'd say that is one of the most realistic things in the game. :lol:
Remember, it's a news report of the company's report. If you hack a company and just COPY the LUNCH MENU, you hacked them for millions worth of data.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:54 am

Two posts, both bumping topics from a year ago. Learn to check dates before responding in future.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ

Return to “The Full Game”