Uplink modifications for newest version

Moderated discussion about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Digital-NW
level2
level2

Postby Digital-NW » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:20 am

When I asked neott about the fbi mod he had said that he lost the code, but he also mentioned that he might remake it. That makes me think that he might not want it redistributed. If you hear otherwise, I'd like to know as well. As I told him, I'd like to include it in to this modification. :)
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:30 am

If I get permission from neott it will be going to only one person, frenchfrog, to see if it can be altered, or even only slightly updated to work with the new patches.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:39 pm

Hopefully, neott will agree to distribute this great mod source to the whole Uplink Community. If not, I hope I will able to give it a look and update it to 1.55.
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:25 pm

Any news on this? ;)
TracerFox
level0

Postby TracerFox » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:09 am

Well, hope this isn't a case of thread necromancy, but wanted to chime the Uplink fan bell and add my own suggestions.

First off, love the fact your current proposed feature list includes resurrecting the original special ability of the VirtuaNet gateways.
Granted, avoiding passive traces might be part of the fun/challenge of the game, but personally I'd rather avoid it.

Now, here's my own suggestion for that. Some sort of software or hardware upgrade that could enable you to impede or counter-attack an existing active or passive trace against you.
Some kind of *active* countermeasures besides simply adding more bounces on your connection.
Something to let me lock onto who ever's tracing me, back-hack them, and attack/crash the tracing system to either slow or totally kill a trace in progress.

On a similar coin, how about being able to hire your services to track down other Uplink agents? Do your own security, active and passive trace other hackers as a corp-merc.

Let's add some more diversity to the mayhem you can cause once you've hacked into a company system. Like instead of just DEL'ing the root directory, how about tripping the fire sprinkler system in the company's main server room/s?
Setting off the fire evacuation alarms, then killing the power to the building, locking everyone out.

Want to get really ambitious with modding? Cooperative missions which require you to monitor and work alongside a meatspace agent/contact. You have to watch the digital side of things and help them get through security doors, disable cameras, forge work orders to even get through the front door, etc.

Related to the above two, just some more integration between the Uplink's OS and the 'real world' in Uplink. Things you can do online which affect the meatspace they connect to.

Next to last, how about some more story and/or puzzles to solve.
Granted it was a pretty pathetic game, but that online 'clone' SlaveHack had some very interesting 'follow the clue' puzzles to lead you around to new NPC systems to explore. Maybe we can come up with similar things here.

Oh, and this last one is just a personal request. I know how a lot of people feel about cheating, but lets bring back/include a cheat menu like the original version and FBIMod had?

Just my 0.02 credits.
Ghost Stalker
level2
level2

Postby Ghost Stalker » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:16 pm

-Disabling the ability to upload negatively priced gateways

Ok, works, but make it so, that you can turn it off (so you can upload negatively priced gateways)

Mah suggestions:
1. Add some kind of err.... Passive program, what you install in.... let's say you wanna hack ARC mainframe. You put this thing in the ARC Internal Services Machine and it spreads to all ARC machines, so when you hack in some ARC machine, it will (RANDOMLY!!!) make one of the security things active, so that you don't need to use (lets say) Password breaker if it has activated that. Could only be used once per purchase, deletes automatically when copied.....
2. Hire your own Uplink Agents.
3. Like in the FBI mod, you could access the building's central computer system and put on the fire alarm and such, so the Thief/somebody would go in and get the thing un-noticed
Yep.
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:23 pm

Ghost Stalker wrote:<Something>

IMPOSTER!
Ghost Stalker
level2
level2

Postby Ghost Stalker » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:42 pm

What? I haven't read anything but the 1st post, my post and the bost above this post
Yep.
Ghostalker
level5
level5

Postby Ghostalker » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:55 pm

:O

That's not me >:[

[EDIT] Does he have a Goatee, cause if he does, he's the Evil me!
~Watch me all In Flames ~ On a Butterfly I ride~
HaloNothing
level2
level2

Postby HaloNothing » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:13 pm

Well then consider me on board with you Digital-NW
for long timers still into the game and new joins
we need someone like you... especially considering there are those like myself who are working on learning C++
Ghost Stalker
level2
level2

Re: Uplink modifications for newest version

Postby Ghost Stalker » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:23 pm

Digital-NW wrote:Some ideas I have for changes include:
-Disabling the ability to upload negatively priced gateways
yyyyyyyyeah
-Increasing the score needed for various Uplink levels
yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeah
-Increasing the average level of Uplink agents
Of Course
-Increasing "Trace hacker" mission probability
d'Uh
-Implementing a real world growth and increasing size
Read above
-Adding genders (need photos and voices of willing female individuals)
Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeah
-Adding new missions relating to real world events (like cracking a camera in an apt building to monitor when X person is home so that a hitman can make a strike or conversely staking out a bad guy's house for the cops)
sssssssssssssure
-Bringing the Global Medical Database back to the game with newer options to support the above missions.
YaY
-Adding new features, items, and tools for gateway protection. Including but not limited to, file servers for hire, cameras (maybe :S), key pad/card entry, private rooms, maybe even something dirty like a self protection system (guns) that keep the good guys out long enough for you to transfer your data and run :-"
YaaaaY........-ish

EDIT: Oops I was right when I remembered that I had posted in here..... but I thought it was in 2006...
Yep.
dashippy
level1
level1

Postby dashippy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:02 pm

have you released any mods yet or are you waiting for the newest update patch? if your waiting when is the next patch coming out.
If trust is a weakness I must be strong. Work it out.
hector13
level0

Postby hector13 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:56 pm

Is this idea for a mod now dead?

Or has everyone been quiet on it because it's busy being worked on?

All the ideas in it sound superb, though since all the ideas pretty much mirror what I'd like in the game, all I can really offer is encouragement.

Which isn't entirely useful if it's now defunct! :lol:
ERing
level1
level1

Postby ERing » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:42 pm

Goodness, I believe I am an Onlink missionary, that's scary.

May I suggest to you, Onlink?
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:00 pm

gotta say this sounds brilliant

cant wait to see the results

Return to “Uplink in Moderation”