What do you think about my FAQ?

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

TheaN
level1
level1

What do you think about my FAQ?

Postby TheaN » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:36 pm

Hi IV Forum, although I've joined end '06 for a question I'm now planning to post more here. Before I'm going to dive in this forum, not knowing about all the veterans and hacking gods here, I want to have a honest opinion of something that MIGHT have arised a discussion earlier.

Also since '04 I've been a user of GameFAQs and I've played Uplink not too long after it came out. Summer '04 I decided to make my own FAQ (as they were laggy on GF at that time). I've created and submitted this FAQ October '04, and have been trying to improve it since (last update in 2006). You can find the link in my sig.

What I'm questioning is simply what you guys think about how useful it is on its own. I know that the UUG Chris made is considered the best and overall helpful, but I thought that more compact in a txt file was more convenient, as a game as Uplink general shouldn't need any picture support. I'm not going to make a poll or something as that won't explain the comments/ideas/approvals/flames you have for me. And take note that I create this topic as Introversion is unique in having their own forum being the most active on their own games. GameFAQs usually overrules any other forum, but not with Uplink.

As I already point out in my sig (and for those who are there, on the GameFAQs message board), I'm going to revise this FAQ with more info (at least a v1.54 update), overall better selection of sections and subnotes and better vocabulary.

If this topic belongs somewhere else I'll notice it being removed, probably. Thanks in advance for the hopefully helpful, and not overall flaming, replies.
Since 2004 I've my own Uplink txt guide. I tried to differ it from the UUG. FInd it on GameFAQs' Uplink FAQ page (going to revise it during the christmas holiday).
TheaN's Text Guide
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:20 pm

1) Drop the "Hacker Elite" part. That was only done in the US by Strategy First, and is considered at worst illegal, at best not giving IV their due.

2) It seems an almost exact copy of the guide on Modlink.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
TheaN
level1
level1

Postby TheaN » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:23 pm

Rkiver wrote:1) Drop the "Hacker Elite" part. That was only done in the US by Strategy First, and is considered at worst illegal, at best not giving IV their due.

Hm. I'd consider that GameFAQs' problem, not mine. But you're right, it SHOULD be changed if what you say is true. And I know it is. In fact, I've now posted on the GF suggestion board that it should be changed, as it's actually disturbing.

Rkiver wrote:2) It seems an almost exact copy of the guide on Modlink.

Facts, yes, whom am I to deny that. Overall structure, some factual details (hud, as mere example, is already different) and mission descriptions usually differ, if only in the wording.

So in short: no, it's not at all made as a copy of the UUG, which I wasn't aware of the moment I made mine. Or maybe I was, but being uncertain whether I had or hadn't seen it yet should proof that I didn't copy it (whether you guys believe that, that is another case).

In the end, it can't differ that much anyway. Missions usually don't have two or more ways to finish, neither is for cracking the security. Because of that it wasn't really the current content I was asking about, more the structure and the wording of the whole document. This single line of comment won't help me much, and I have the feeling the idea behind it was that you assume that I plagiarized the UUG.
Since 2004 I've my own Uplink txt guide. I tried to differ it from the UUG. FInd it on GameFAQs' Uplink FAQ page (going to revise it during the christmas holiday).

TheaN's Text Guide
coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:15 am

Who cares if it's a bit similar to the UUG? It is inevitable that any two guides about the same thing will have similarities. It's obviously not a plagiarised version of it, and anything that is there to help newbies is good in my opinion.

TheaN should be commended for what has obviously taken a lot of time and effort - well done!
Nakatomi is coming
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:36 am

He asked for opinions, without flaming. I did just that. Indeed since Uplink is rather a small game all guides will be very similar, indeed almost the same, he put time and effort into it, not saying he didn't, but he wasn't asking for a pat on the back. He asked what people thought, and that's the first thing that came to mind for me.
TheaN
level1
level1

Postby TheaN » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:31 pm

Rkiver wrote:He asked for opinions, without flaming. I did just that. Indeed since Uplink is rather a small game all guides will be very similar, indeed almost the same, he put time and effort into it, not saying he didn't, but he wasn't asking for a pat on the back. He asked what people thought, and that's the first thing that came to mind for me.

Understandable: still, posting only that makes it look like you think only that , which doesn't seem to be the case if I read this post. As I've said before, with the comment that it looks like a copy or looks alike the UUG, I can't do anything. I can't bring in something completely different, especially if it's not true.

And before I forget: coolski, thanks, but that's the other side of the opinion that I can't use XD: if it's 'well done' it seems as nothing have to be changed Smile. I am going to, anyway: one thing I'm going to change for sure is the FAQ title, which also states Uplink Hacker Elite. And my review.... grrrr, stupid GF.

About that.... I commented GF that they should change the title, but I'm getting the comment that they use the US title normally. Is the Strategy First release official (i.e the same game), or did they change it (making it plagiarizing)?

TheaN's Text Guide
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:00 pm

It was technically the same game, there is topic regarding it and what happened, so give that a read to get the basic story on what happened to lead up to now with regards to Introversion and Strategy First.

In short SF have not paid IV the royalties IV are due.
TheaN
level1
level1

Postby TheaN » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:35 pm

Rkiver wrote:It was technically the same game, there is topic regarding it and what happened, so give that a read to get the basic story on what happened to lead up to now with regards to Introversion and Strategy First.

In short SF have not paid IV the royalties IV are due.

I think that should be enough. What's topic, the 'legal action' topic? I've read some of it, but I don't know if the SF case is explained throughout the topic.

TheaN's Text Guide
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:41 pm

Introversion hired Strategy First to distribute Uplink in the USA. SF added the subtitle "Hacker Elite".

SF ran into financial difficulties, and ceased paying royalties to Introversion, but continues to sell the game in competition with Introversion.

In other words, if a person buys the game from SF, they get the exact same game, but Introversion gets no money from it.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
TheaN
level1
level1

Postby TheaN » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:02 pm

xyzyxx wrote:Introversion hired Strategy First to distribute Uplink in the USA. SF added the subtitle "Hacker Elite".

SF ran into financial difficulties, and ceased paying royalties to Introversion, but continues to sell the game in competition with Introversion.

In other words, if a person buys the game from SF, they get the exact same game, but Introversion gets no money from it.

Ouch. That hurts. Good to know, won't forget that. Any reference on GF towards Hacker Elite will be corrected. I'm not in the power to force any name correction, though. That's up to the admins. Not that it's that of a major deal, anyway.

But please, back on topic.

TheaN's Text Guide
humblegar
level0

Postby humblegar » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:59 pm

You could improve the information about the Motion Sensor in it. In my experience both guides are somewhat misleading.

Unless the whole idea is to laugh at newbies like me blowing up their gateways when two or more hardware upgrades are installed :p

I think the way it works is yellow for one nearby person and red for two or more, and it has nothing to do with feds or not (except that feds come in groups). In addition you get a "lucky escape" message only if you actually blew it up at the right time (not just if its red).

For all I know this is only how it works with 1.54steam, I have not played other patches/versions.
TheaN
level1
level1

Postby TheaN » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:13 pm

humblegar wrote:You could improve the information about the Motion Sensor in it. In my experience both guides are somewhat misleading.

Unless the whole idea is to laugh at newbies like me blowing up their gateways when two or more hardware upgrades are installed :p

I think the way it works is yellow for one nearby person and red for two or more, and it has nothing to do with feds or not (except that feds come in groups). In addition you get a "lucky escape" message only if you actually blew it up at the right time (not just if its red).

For all I know this is only how it works with 1.54steam, I have not played other patches/versions.

I'm pretty sure Yellow is Uplink, Red is bad. I'll test that, though. EDIT: ah, you're right. Indeed, I bought two modems and the MS turned red instead of yellow. I'll update that, as it's pretty trivial XD.

Oh, and the whole 'blowing up at the right time' is a bit irrelevant (edited) if you ask me: how do you know they're going to catch you? If, of course, you only have a save backup at the moments where the feds already found out about you, it might be useful. But that's not the original intend of IV (as you can't back up, normally). Will test that as well, though. EDIT: yeah, seem to work. Didn't have the MS open but did blow up at the moment it normally would've been red and after that I also tried it randomly after the hack. Both worked, so theoritically you can use it, but I can't seem to think of a practical situation.
Last edited by TheaN on Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheaN's Text Guide
humblegar
level0

Postby humblegar » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:41 pm

A simple list:
When hacking:
blank: ok
yellow: never happens?
red: feds - nuke it (you will get a lucky escape message and possibly a criminal record).

When installing hardware:
yellow: ok (one component)
red: ok (two or more components) - step away from the nuke button!

When installing hardware and hacking:
yellow: ok (one hardware component)
red: nuke it unless you are 100% sure you were not caught.

The solution:
Don't do a risky hack right before or during installation of two or more hardware components.

Please don't ever call me or my posts "hypocrit" unless you have a very good reason, none of this has anything to do with backing up your user file.
TheaN
level1
level1

Postby TheaN » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:49 am

humblegar wrote:Please don't ever call me or my posts "hypocrit" unless you have a very good reason

Sorry, I wasn't trying to offend you by using that word (it has a softer meaning in Dutch so I use it in English at the wrong moments). Read irrelevant, as edited.

humblegar wrote:none of this has anything to do with backing up your user file.

But this is not entirely true. I wasn't referring to the colors used, I was referring to the usefulness of the none-motion-sensor related nuking. In the end, this method has no practical usefulness IF you're not using any save backup (i.e you only have a save backup at a point where the feds will get you within the hour: no motion sensor, no more time to delete logs), so I related it to that. Still, if the remark was also pointed at the wrong use of hypocrit, then excuse me.

TheaN's Text Guide

Return to “General”