Tracing a hacker that bounced off a phone?

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

nevered
level1
level1

Tracing a hacker that bounced off a phone?

Postby nevered » Tue May 29, 2007 10:57 pm

I got a "trace a hacker that stole from our bank" mission, and went through the bank's admin menu to look at the log, ip traced it through two internal system and a mainframe, following the bounce record each time, until it led me to somebody's telephone.

and I have no idea how to check the logs of a telephone (or if they even exist), so right now, i'm sorta stuck.

Money and software are no problem (I got some of those "someone transferred a gigantic amount of money. who did they send it to?" missions, and someone with over a million dollars in their account is too tempting to pass up. I have the best possible gateway and all the hardware it can hold, and have the best version of all the software, except the useless ones. I even had to nuke the gateway when i got lazy about the logs, and had enough money left over to buy all the stuff again.)

anyway: to the original question: how do I trace a hacker who bounced off a phone line?
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Wed May 30, 2007 12:38 am

I'll go for my classical answer: Log Undeleter.
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
nevered
level1
level1

Postby nevered » Wed May 30, 2007 1:26 am

that would help if there were logs that had been deleted

but there are no logs at all.

I mean: the only thing I can find to do with a phone is call it, but there's nothing else there, and certainly no logs to track by.
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Wed May 30, 2007 2:26 am

There is a program called Log_Modifier, which you can use to modify logs. If you can use it, your opponents (other hackers in the game) can use it, too. Log_Undeleter doesn't only undelete logs, it restores modified logs. Listen to the advice that was given to you -- Log_Undeleter is what you need.
nevered
level1
level1

Postby nevered » Wed May 30, 2007 2:32 am

are either of you reading my posts at all?

There are no logs.

it's not that there used to be logs and then they were deleted: there are no logs at all.

there isn't even a folder for logs to exist in.

a hacker bounced his connection off of somebody's telephone, and now I need to find out how to follow his tracks, but I can't, because there doesn't seem to be any record: not a deleted record, not a modified record, not even a place where records would be kept.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed May 30, 2007 5:28 am

You lost track of the hacker before you got to the phone - i.e. the log with the correct time & date on it was pointed at the phone system rather than where the hacker really bounced through. You may have lost the trail a fair while back. Go back to the previous system, and use Log_Undeleter on the log you followed to the phone system.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Kale
level0

Postby Kale » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:32 pm

Hi! I have the same problem. The hacker bounced off a telephone system then to the target system. I have tried using the Log_undeleter but with no effekt. Is there a way to trace someone past a phone system???
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:38 pm

Maybe the problem is that you guys don't really understand what the various tools do. Log_Deleter deletes logs. All but the highest versions leave a trace. Log_Modifier changes logs. The logs are left in place only modified. Log_Undeleter can both restore logs deleted (either on the console, or by Log_Deleter) AND it can restore logs changed by Log_Modifier.

So, this is what happened. The hacker bounced around, did their hack, and logged off. Then, they went back and changed one of their logs, using Log_Modifier, to point back to a phone system. The log that points to the phone system is a modified log. Use Log_Undeleter on it.

Is that clear enough for you?
Kale
level0

Postby Kale » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:54 am

Look, My hacker bounced of a telephone system directly before he connected to the compromised system. If he modified his logs he could only do it at that system right? I used the log_undeleter on ALL the logs on that system with no effekt (and I have the highest version you can get). and the mission was only 30 min old. so, my conclution is that the hacker really REALLY bounced through a telephone system. and the question remains. Is it possible to trace a hacker past such systems?
Sabertooth
level1
level1

Postby Sabertooth » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:23 pm

Is it possible to trace a hacker past such systems?

No.

What version of Uplink or modded Uplink are you playing? Can you provide a screenshot of the mission description and the relevant log entries on the compromised system?
Kale
level0

Postby Kale » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:54 pm

I am playing Uplink version 1.35. sorry, no, I can't provide screenshots as I abandoned the mission.

I have been playiong a cracked version of uplink for quite some time now, wanted to test it before I bought it (and I just HATE demos) and now I'm waiting until I get enough money to buy the game.
CyberGenesis
level2
level2

Postby CyberGenesis » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:41 am

admitting to playing a cracked version isn't exactly the brightest idea.
Sabertooth
level1
level1

Postby Sabertooth » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:23 am

Yeah, the police are on their way to your house RIGHT NOW to bust down your door for playing a cracked version of Uplink.

No joke.

It's happened.

Yeah.

No.
T4
level1
level1

Postby T4 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:27 pm

Sabertooth wrote:Yeah, the police are on their way to your house RIGHT NOW to bust down your door for playing a cracked version of Uplink.

No joke.

It's happened.

Yeah.

No.
I'm sure he means it is pure idiocy to post on a game's forum that you ripped off the creators of that game. That is all.

Let's say you like the band Band. You register on their forum and go "Where can I download Band's latest album plzkthx???!!!". Quite the stupid thing to do, as it makes you very unpopular - not to mention it is ultimate proof your IQ is below 54 (clinically proven, like Clearasil). So yeah.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:43 am

Well, regardless, Kale, the unpirated version can use the latest patches and cure what ails ya, albeit after starting a new agent.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch

Return to “Hints and Tips”