Inspired to play Uplink again. thanks to William gibson.

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

majingray
level2
level2

Inspired to play Uplink again. thanks to William gibson.

Postby majingray » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:32 am

I picked up a book from my Big-old box-o-books, one i had not read but picked up sometime ago.

The book is titled Necromancer, a well known book to some here i would guess, if not a book you all must read.

Well I read a few chapters over the week and keep picking it up and putting it down due to the caffeine jitters i have when i got cola after going cold turkey for a few weeks (Yes i had been denied it)

Well I guess after reading in to the book some i got thinking, then i noticed i had Uplink installed still. WOOT!
i clicked on it and started playing again.

It's changed a lot since i last played and some parts seem not as easy as i remember.

I guess i need to relearn what i forgot and hope to get good again.

The community here will be all new faces to me and i doubt i will remember anyone if they remember me, the matter is life caught up with me and i lost interest in things like this.

I will possibly be in IRC as soon as i can be asked to buy the HUD interface for my gateway.
hastylumbago
level1
level1

Postby hastylumbago » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:34 am

Neuromancer, not Necromancer. That's where Neuromancer Rating(unofficial) comes from.

Glad there are still people who appreciate good cyberpunk out there.
Akatosh
level2
level2

Postby Akatosh » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:48 pm

It's a question of taste, I think... I didn't really likie these books. They were okay, but... well. :?
This is not a signature.
hastylumbago
level1
level1

Postby hastylumbago » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:15 pm

well, Gibson is kind of an icon, but there are better authors out there, in my estimation. The Game of Ghost and Lion, by Peter B. Gillis, is an excellant choice, but I'm not sure if that's available as anything other than an E-book.

For that matter, I'm not sure if it's available as an E-book anymore.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:04 pm

I was never a big fan of Neuromancer, but I thought Pattern Recognition was pretty good.

Snowcrash by Neil Stephenson is for my money the best cyberpunk book ever written. Diamond Age and Cryptonomicon are also very good (though not cyberpunk).
hastylumbago
level1
level1

Postby hastylumbago » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:23 am

I frelling love Snowcrash.

And I'm not sure what you call Diamond Age. But it was good.
Matrix Rider
level0

Postby Matrix Rider » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:23 pm

Trouble and her Friends by Melissa Scott was also a good one...
Hardwired by Walter jon Williams
Those two, Neuromancer, Burning Chrome (also from Gibson, had a few short stories based in the Sprawl and the movie johnny Mnemonic was from one of those shorts... Should have sticked with the story instead of what they did, especially to Molly!) and Snow Crash have been in my mind with very good memory.

Shadowrun and Cyberpunk 2020 had also some good C'punk in it, and a few SR novel where good...

Even the old PC/C64 game Neuromancer!!

I miss good Cyperpunk novels...
And maybe a good Matrix game (Neuromancer Matrix, not the movies) as a follow up to Uplink and the new hacking game coming from somone else shortly... Who knows (hint hint IV!! :wink: :lol: )
sixeslast
level0

Postby sixeslast » Wed May 09, 2007 1:44 am

William Gibson's a genuis in my estimation. You have to remember that he wrote Neuromancer in the early eighties when the internet barely existed at all and it's still a genuinly futuristic vision. The sequels, Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive aren't half bad either, and the second trilogy that starts with Virtual Light has some ace ideas. I've been meaning to read Patern Regognition but English Lit undergrads don't get time to read cyberpunk. Oh well. Back to Jude the Obscure.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed May 09, 2007 3:14 am

I have to admit I'm somewhat backward when in comes to cyberpunk sci-fi. I've read Asimov aplenty, but I've only just picked up copies of Neuromancer and Snow Crash the other day (largely based on Chris' advertising of them in the bonus materials...)
madsniper
level1
level1

Postby madsniper » Wed May 09, 2007 3:17 am

I should get started in reading Cyberpunk :D I've never really seen a book like that, anywhere. But it sounds cool.
Azati Prime
level1
level1

Postby Azati Prime » Sat May 12, 2007 7:17 am

I've only read Neuromancer but it seems like a great genre. Pattern Recognition was pretty cool too.
The enemy's gate is down.
ODDin
level5
level5

Postby ODDin » Sat May 12, 2007 12:08 pm

Azati Prime wrote:I've only read Neuromancer but it seems like a great genre. Pattern Recognition was pretty cool too.

Logical contradiction detected.
majingray
level2
level2

Postby majingray » Mon May 14, 2007 3:53 pm

dosn't Pattern Recognition come as a movie nextyear?

least thats what i read.

I started reading count zero but kinda didn't get in to it. (never do first time i pick up a book)

might try again some day i got Monalisa overdrive aswell but not gonna touch that till i read count zero, possbly burning crome too.

I do prefer PKD thogh.

Return to “General”